UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai 2014 - > Qashqai 2014 > ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

1.2 DiG-T vs 1.6 DiG-T engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QashqaiCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.2 DiG-T vs 1.6 DiG-T engine
    Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 4:51pm
Hi all,

We currently have the 2.0L petrol qashqai tekna, and are now looking at a new 2014/15 QQ Tekna.

The main quandary here, is the engine spec...

We dont do enough miles to warrant a Deisel and any miles we do, do, are shop runs, school runs and the odd trip further a field.

I like the 2L as it gives me the punch to over take and will sit happily at 3000rpm doing a good speed when on open roads although the road tax is higher, it's a cost I'm happy to cover

With the new QQ my options are limited to the 1.2 and 1.6 turbos, but my concern is with the smaller engines sitting at 4/5000 rpm when on open roads and feeling like engine is being 'ragged' compared to a 2.0L?

So from you guys running the 1.2 and 1.6 DiG-T what's the general census?

Many Thanks
2015 Qashqai Tekna, 1.6 DiG-T, Metallic Gun Metal Grey, Side Steps, Front & Rear Skid Plates, Chrome Lower Trim, Chrome Boot Trim, Collecting 26/09/15 😎
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 5:09pm
Mine motors along nicely at 70mph... Doesn't feel or sound like its being "ragged". If I need to overtake then I drop down the gears and give it a good old boot, it still doesn't sound like its suffering.
Tiff
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 5:12pm
Althought the 1.2 is m ore than capable you will probably notice the revs over the 2l, the 1.6 will be a better engine than the 2l
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 8:16pm
1.2, 1.2, 1.2 is the one for you .

Just done 400 mile weekend round trip, virtually all motorway and she was fab - engine never once felt too small.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
QashqaiCox View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QashqaiCox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:37pm
Looks I'll be booking a test drive in the 1.2 then...

I'm just struggling to get used to the new engine sizes / performance I suppose!
2015 Qashqai Tekna, 1.6 DiG-T, Metallic Gun Metal Grey, Side Steps, Front & Rear Skid Plates, Chrome Lower Trim, Chrome Boot Trim, Collecting 26/09/15 😎
A9 BNL View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9 BNL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2015 at 10:01pm
The 1.2 is a good balance of economy and power. It can move if you are in the right gear and doesn't feel under powered. It's good on motorways, very quiet and fast enough to keep up the pace with virtually no engine noise, very refined.
I normally sit at 74mph in 6th gear with cruise control on and when needing to overtake, simply foot the foot down and it shifts well enough without having to change down a gear, but if you do need to overtake a bit faster then drop down into 4th and it goes quietly and quickly enough to make you think what is the point of having the 1.6 variant.
Well that's my opinion but it will make you think why spend another £1500 pound on the bigger engine plus dearer tax and running costs.
1.2 DIG-T Tekna in Gun Metal Grey
Ian Dee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:43am
I've not found motorway driving a problem. Only difference from other cars I found in the low gear, city traffic pulling away quickly from say traffic lights. But I'm getting better at the necessary quick gear change. I suppose having a rev counter and seeing it go up to 3K was a bit startling but the engine copes with it. Nice to see the overall average mpg at the end of a journey justifying the choice. Wife's Aygo is 997 and very nippy in town. !
Ian Dee -
2014 Acenta Premuum 1.2 Petrol Manual Red
Mrbcb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 5:17pm
Just bought a 1.6Dig t, turbo assist and it is brilliant.It is a drivers car and feels very. Safe. Far better than 1.6 Toyota Celica that i bought new in 2001. The car tax is not much more at £130 and the insurance increase is minimal.Bring a bit of motoring joy back into your life and go for a 1.6
Owner of Gun Metal Grey 1.6 Tekna Dig-T Qashqai (3rd Qashqai)
geejay38 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geejay38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 8:16am
Interesting discussion. My QQ has 1.6ltr petrol engine which is grossly underpowered. Not a fan of Diesel engines as annual mileage too low.
When I come to change the car will have to consider best petrol engine available but not keen on a 1.2ltr engine as have worries about reliability of turbos.
Has anyone done any high mileage without any costly repairs/replacement of turbo?
Also, if high reving assume mpg is not great?
1. QQ 2007 Cafe Latte -1.6 Acenta manual
2. QQ 2011 Magnetic Red-1.6 N-Tec
manual
3. QQ 2016 Grey 1.2 DiG-T N-Conn ecta
Mrbcb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:24am
I had a 1.6 N.Tec 2011 model and recently went down to Devon and Cornwall. The 1.6 engine struggled going up steep hills with 2 heavy suit cases and my wife on board. I also experienced problems overtaking HGVs on dual carriageways especially on inclines with loads of traffic following behind. I was not keen on the 1.2 and on test driving the 1.6 DIG T (Turbo assisted ) it was like a different car. As a result last week I took delivery through part exchange of a nearly new one and can now enjoy the difference. Going to Winchester yesterday the engine purred in 6th gear doing 70mph on the M3 at 2.5 thousand revs.
Mrbcb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:46am
Further having seen Geejay 38 input only time will ref life of turbo. The pundits hint that the turbo attached to the 1.2 will be under enormous power and will need attention before the 1.6. During past week I have done local journeys plus 1 visitfrom Southampton to Winchester and my mpg rates 30mpg. The weather being hot meant that the air conditioning was full on during most of these jornies.
Picasso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Picasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 10:18am
Sorry to repeat my question again but what sort of rpm does the 1.2 do at 70mph?
geejay38 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geejay38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm
Perhaps G5 BOY could advise regarding rpm point.
Also I wonder how much it costs to replace a turbo?
manual
Scottish Westie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottish Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 9:23pm
Can someone tell me if the 1.2 turbocharged engine in the latest QQ is Renault sourced unit or is it a genuine Nissan engine. Is it chain driven?
Regards

Scottish Westie
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:16am
Originally posted by geejay38 geejay38 wrote:

Perhaps G5 BOY could advise regarding rpm point.
Also I wonder how much it costs to replace a turbo?

I will take a look next time.

Remember that the CVT may rev lower than a manual.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Scottish Westie Scottish Westie wrote:

Can someone tell me if the 1.2 turbocharged engine in the latest QQ is Renault sourced unit or is it a genuine Nissan engine. Is it chain driven?

Honest John says it is a Renault.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Scottish Westie Scottish Westie wrote:

Quick search online suggests it's a chain.

proparch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proparch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 1:52pm
I wouldn't be too worried about turbos. Turbodiesels routinely do enormous mileages with no turbo issues.
Picasso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Picasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 5:10pm
I agree but smaller engines like the 1.2 is working harder than a slower revving diesel thus the turbo in the 1.2
Must be working harder to keep up.
geejay38 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geejay38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 6:27pm
Agreed. I raised several points about the 1.2 ltr engine on 31 August but so far nothing much has been said by Forum members.
manual
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 7:05pm

....I raised several points about the 1.2 ltr engine on 31 August but so far nothing much has been said by Forum members.

IMNSHO the 1.2 ltr engine is not fit for "powering" a Qashqai....

What a contradiction by itself - a 1.2 ltr engine powering something...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

....I raised several points about the 1.2 ltr engine on 31 August but so far nothing much has been said by Forum members.

IMNSHO the 1.2 ltr engine is not fit for "powering" a Qashqai....

What a contradiction by itself - a 1.2 ltr engine powering something...

Have you driven one?

Compared to my 2.0 Qashqais it is difficult to tell the difference TBH
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2016 at 8:09pm
Not the 1.2 ltr petrol - but the 1.5 ltr Diesel as a hired car in Ireland... for a fortnight ok - but everyday? No way....

Correction:  I drove the 1.2 ltr when the J11 had been just released and had a short testdrive with a dealer's show car... I wasn't impressed at all ...

Edited by Udo2009 - 11 Nov 2016 at 8:11pm
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Mrbcb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:30am
I enjoy the reserve power the 1.6 petrol Dig-t has and after 14 months ownership I have no problems and love the quick acceleration to get me out of possible danger areas.I am puzzled at the lack of advertising by Nissan that here we have a a first class machine. I mentioned this to someone in the trade and they stated that currently ,and from when it came out, they are pushing the new Micra as a vehicle for all all age groups and social backgrounds. I am disappointed that the 1.6 turbo has not had the due credit it deserves and I can add that after 50 years of motoring it is the best car I have driven .It is that little bit better than the 2ltr small saloon by Lexus which came out around 1998 and is no longer made.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic