UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

1.2 - Juddering at low revs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam0161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.2 - Juddering at low revs
    Posted: 06†Nov†2017 at 11:55am
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 1.2 2014 ntec+ (3 weeks ago) and Iím really happy with it except for 1 issue.

Often when I accelerate at fairly low revs (1700-2300rpm) I feel the car juddering/ stuttering, and can see the throttle needle fluttering a bit up and down.

It happens a bit in other gears but is most noticeable in second gear. It doesnít happen if I press the accelerator a bit more, it happens mostly when Iím lightly using the accelerator.

Is this a characteristic of the car or is it an issue?

Many Thanks, Adam
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2017 at 12:57pm
Hi Adam

My 2014 1.2 CVT started to do this after a couple of years (20k miles).  I noticed it mostly when gently pulling away from a junction or roundabout at a rolling speed, rather than a standing start.

I reported it to my dealer and they could not replicate the problem.  They carried out a software update and offered to let a technician sit next to me on a drive so I could try to recreate it and of course I couldn't Angry.  

However, next day it was doing it again AngryAngry. They - and Nissan - quite reasonably - said if it couldn't be replicated at the dealership, then it couldn't be fixed.  Annoyingly. 

As you say, with a bit of throttle skill you can avoid it, but why should you have to?

I always reckoned it was a slipping belt in the gearbox, but when I p/x'd it, the problem was still there.

Is yours a manual? If so that would mean it's engine not gearbox.

Mine was a Tekna, so at least you haven't bought mine LOL

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2017 at 1:00pm
Ah - just noticed your 'second gear' comment.  So it's a manual, which makes me think it is an engine issue.  Is it still in warranty? Maybe get them to do a software update.  Seemed to be a temporary fix on mine.  At least it might point towards the cause.  Good luck and keep us posted.  I'd like to know what it is, in case my new one starts doing it sometime...!!

adam0161 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam0161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2017 at 9:25pm
Hi there, thanks very much for your reply!

Yes it is a manual, and yes very much still in its warranty, I got them to throw in a 3 year warranty so Iíll give them a ring and see what they say.

Iím worried the same thing will happen when I take it in and I wonít be able to recreate the issue!

Iíll let you know the outcome.

Many Thanks, Adam
adam0161 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam0161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28†Nov†2017 at 4:34pm
Hi everyone,

So I had my car in at Nissan Northwich and they said the juddering was caused by a loose timing chain so they have changed that and the pre-tensioner and so far it feels all sorted!

I wasnít too happy that there was no courtesy car available seeing as though Iíve only had the car for a month but nevermind!

Many Thanks, Adam
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28†Nov†2017 at 5:27pm
Hope that's fixed it. Could be that was my problem too.
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Feb†2018 at 12:13pm
I am having problems with this intermittent juddering issue too. It's going into the dealership for a service in a week or so and it's on the list, but so far I have noticed it happens after 20 minutes or so driving, almost as if the car has to warm up before it starts judderiung in 1st or second gear. It can get really severe as if the car could shake to bits. I've noted from this and other threads possible problems such as loose timing chain, pretensioner,  or a glow plug issue. But it seems hard to get it to do it to order, so I hope this can be sorted as I am out of warranty at the end of the month! Actually thinking hard about the extended warranty offer!
Tekna DCI 110 1.5 Nightshade
adam0161 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adam0161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Feb†2018 at 9:26am
Hi there,

That does sound like a timing chain issue like mine.

I was worried that it wouldnít judder on demand but to be fair, the nissan mechanics noticed a funny noise coming from the engine when driving which also pointed to the timing chain.

My issue still isnít completely resolved as when I put my foot down a bit in 3rd or 4th gear I can hear the chain almost clicking for a few seconds!

I made sure I got the extensive warranty when I bought the car, Iíd defibiyely recommend it with these cars as they obviously have a few niggles

Many Thanks, Adam
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Feb†2018 at 9:32am
Thanks Adam. Your problems don't seem to have gone away completely so here's to both of us getting 'sorted' soon! I've had a good look at whats covered and although there's quite a few bits that are excluded, I'm pretty certain I will go with the extra 3 years warranty.. even a simple job in the dealership seems to bring with it a big bill!Cry
adam0161 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adam0161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†Feb†2018 at 6:27pm
Hi there,

Yes Iíd definitely say itís worth it.

Good luck with sorting the problem let me know how things go.
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by adam0161 adam0161 wrote:

Hi there,

Yes Iíd definitely say itís worth it.

Good luck with sorting the problem let me know how things go.

Quick follow up. The QQ needs a new flywheel/clutch! A well tuned, and I have to say excellent, mechanic had a test drive to experience the judder which he did, and heard an additional noise in the background, leading to the flywheel/clutch diagnosis Big job which I am glad to say is being done under warranty. Disturbing problem at less than 3 years, but hopefully the replacement will sort the juddering once and for all.
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Apr†2018 at 1:38pm
Work has been done, replacement flywheel and I guess a clutch (Warranty work doesn't come with any paperwork apparently) They also found the oil seal leaking into the gearbox so that was also replaced.
I have to say, so far (40 miles) the car is driving like new.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Apr†2018 at 4:35pm
Glad it's all fixed Big smile.

However, I had the same problem on my last 1.2 QQ and that was a CVT so couldn't have been the clutch - mystery.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic