UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

14'plate DIG-T 1.2 problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 14'plate DIG-T 1.2 problems
    Posted: 03áSepá2018 at 6:24pm
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has had any similar experiences to me and any advice.

I am at my wits end with the car I purchased September'16. (This is going to be a long one so thank you in advance!)

I purchased the car from Car Giant (Never again) I needed something quick and I had fell in love with the car/the colour (ink blue).

When I test drove the car, It made a rattle noise on start up. I was naive, and not too experienced. He told me it is where the car hasn't been started for a while and it will go - It did. The car has made this sound always, but actually now it sounds like a heavy bus. (I also called Nissan in May last year stating the same, they looked at it and said it was fine. - Car still was under the 3 year age warranty).
So my concern was wiped away really to be told all was ok, I accepted the car for what it is and thought it must just be this car.

Since having the car (less then 2 years) these are the issues I have had -

Bearings on both sides of the vehicle gone(2 weeks after purchase)
Incorrect battery was in the car when purchased - Car stopped midst driving!(A car giant problem)
The radio likes to play even when the keys aren't in it
The door sensors wouldn't allow me to lock the car with the button, I had to do it manually. 
Nissan adjusted the door and told me it was out of line hence the problem, this is still a problem as it is now extra sensitive.
The clutch and dual wheel fly mass has been replaced in February 

Now, I am faced with the biggest problem yet.

Oil has been disappearing very quickly, that noise is even worse, and I have been told it is the time chain making this noise and my engine is very likely knackered.

I have spent a lot of money on the car, with faults happening continuous. Which was a really proud moment for me buying my first car myself, has turned in to quite frankly a disaster.

I obviously been hit with bad luck with the car, and it is a shame as I actually love the car. But I am literally at my wits end. My finance company aren't helpful unless I can prove problems existed on time of purchase. My biggest problem here, Is when faults started happening I was ringing car giant, they were telling me to ring Nissan as the warranty was still fine. So I was doing this. I had no idea I could have rang my finance company and they could have helped me. I first informed them of issues last May when someone at Nissan told me to do so and they said I had the car longer then 6 months they can not help me.

I have since gone back because of the latest fault and they are the same, however advised an independent report and want me to prove the oil/engine problem existed on purchase. I don't see how this would ever be possible, unless I can prove there is an existing problem with this spec. Nissan have denied any problems when I have spoke to them.

On reading, I have come across lots of people who have this issue with this spec, I guess in hope I am writing here to see if anyone has any ideas what I can do, or if anyone has had this experience and resolved it. I would gladly give the car back, but again unless I pay for all issues to be fixed I am unable to. So it feels like I will be car less and paying for a dead car.

Thanks if you have read this far, I have literally brain dumped!

Jess 

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 2:29pm
Hi - it is a well known fault, there was a bad batch of 2014 1.2 engines, and they are now coming to light that they need replacing.

Which means the fault has been in your car since day 1.

I just had to have my engine replaced a couple of months ago, luckily under the Nissan Cared4 warranty as it was an ú8500 bill.  Quite a lot of others on here have had theirs replaced as well.

It may be worth an email to Nissan customer services informing them that you seem to have acquired a 1.2 engine which has the WELL KNOWN fault with losing oil/timing chain rattles.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
jerraymond View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 2:33pm
Hi Chris, 

Thanks so much for responding to me!

Nissan care (on the phone anyway) have not been too great, they have said they know nothing of anything problems and to book the car in for a diagnostic, only then dependant on service history (if it is with them, which is not - well 1 of them is that I had done) they may honour some sort of discount.

And I agree, it certainly appears from what I have seen there has been a huge issue but I am stuck in what to do or how to go about it.

What steps did you take please? Did your local Nissan garage know about the problem?

Thank you, all help is gratefully appreciated!

Jess
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 2:39pm
I just took my car in because of the nasty rattle, was told it was the timing chain and it was booked in under warranty (was told it was a well known problem and thousands have had to have them replaced), but when it actually went in they told me they were replacing the whole engine.

Was told afterwards that there is a standard test they do for identifying the bad batch of engines, and it failed it, which is why it went from a timing chain repair to an engine replacement.

All this was verbal, don't think they ever like to say these things in writing :(

There was a technical bulletin about it, with the affected engine range, think I posted it here a bit ago, let me look...

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 2:43pm
Here you go...

Nissan Technical bulletin  TB EM 15/05

Has the affected vehicle number range in there.

If yours is in that range, get back on to Nissan and quote TB EM 15/05 at them!!

Edited by chrisw99 - 04áSepá2018 at 2:43pm
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 3:04pm
Thanks so much Chris,  I have just spoke to another Nissan Garage who are aware of problems and have told me to bring the car in next week free of charge and a courtsey car!

Now that is a great service, so grateful for your help. It seemed talking to Nissan customer services was not in my favour, but speaking with a garage directly helped!

My number is SJNFEA J11U1143973 I can't make out if it is in range, either way she said something had flagged up!

Jess
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 4:02pm
The garage will probably be helpful because in cases like this it is Nissan GB who will foot the bill, not the garage themselves.  

Would be interesting to see how this pans out, because as far as I know, everyone who's had the engine replaced has had it done under warranty, you may be the first to try it outside the warranty.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 4:08pm
Welcome Jess and sorry to hear your woes.

Shame on Nissan CS for denying knowledge of this WELL KNOWN issue.

Good on the Nissan garage and hope they get it sorted for you. Let us know and if so, give them a name check on here.

Also, thanks Chris for stepping in. I've only just seen this myself.
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 4:12pm
She said to me, to bring the car in Wednesday Morning until at least Thursday PM so they can have a real check on the car. Luckily enough they also have notes of me complaining about the noise last May when it was in warranty.
She did say the areas on the bulletin she has, the car is covered for -she doesn't know what will happen if I need a new engine but quite confidently told me not to be worrying about anything.
I said to her, if there is faults that were then when the vehicle was made and there is a new engine needed (very likely) then I deem them at fault for 1. Not picking up the problem when I told them there was 1 in May, and 2. An issue created by their fault so I deem them responsible.

I do take this is as taking some responsibility though, Nissan customer services told me I would need to pay for diagnostics. The garage have told me it is completely free of charge and a courtesy car on top- which I never expected.

We will see. I am crossing everything in hope it all ends well! Unfortunately the car hasn't been the best for me which is a shame as I do genuinely love it. 
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áSepá2018 at 4:37pm
The fact you mentioned the noise when it was inside the warranty is a major plus.

I think you usually pay a diagnostic charge if it turns out there is no fault (which you can understand, someone has to pay for the time they've wasted).   When I first took mine in for the timing chain rattle, they said it would be ú50 diagnostic charge.   When they found the fault, and I collected the car, they waived the charge.

gloucester View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áSepá2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by jerraymond jerraymond wrote:

My number is SJNFEA J11U1143973 I can't make out if it is in range, either way she said something had flagged up!

That is within range - look at the last 6 nos - the affected range goes from 000001 to 572966 - yours is 143973

Mine (since sold) was 416733 (June 2015) and wasn't exhibiting any problems (I never put oil in it) but might have course have already been fixed with the modification. I wasn't risking it hence I sold...

Edited by gloucester - 05áSepá2018 at 8:00pm
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 - sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 ~ 2006 Suzuki GSF650SA ~ 2018 Yamaha MT-07 on order
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áSepá2018 at 9:07pm
The car is literally getting to a point where it feels like it may die. I have 2 children so I won't drive it as it worries me too much. I am patiently awaiting Wednesday and being optimistic. In the worse case scenario, I am gathering all of my evidence as to why something should be done. To be honest the car has been a nightmare, I would happily hand the car back to my finance company and walk away if I were able to. I don't see them allowing that though.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áSepá2018 at 10:00pm
A salutary lesson for everyone.  If you are ever fobbed off, always notify Nissan Customer Services and the car dealership by email to ensure its recorded.  That insignificant 2 year old rattle is (hopefully) resulting in a no charge engine change outside of warranty .  Thumbs Up

I would also investigate possible compensation for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction of being forced to drive a noisy/oil sapping car for the last couple of years.

Edited by Doug999 - 05áSepá2018 at 10:04pm
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áSepá2018 at 8:44am

The car is literally getting to a point where it feels like it may die. I have 2 children so I won't drive it as it worries me too much. I am patiently awaiting Wednesday and being optimistic. In the worse case scenario, I am gathering all of my evidence as to why something should be done. To be honest the car has been a nightmare, I would happily hand the car back to my finance company and walk away if I were able to. I don't see them allowing that though.

Not sure if they were telling the truth, but when I was waiting for the engine replacement they told me it was perfectly safe to drive, nothing untoward would ever happen other than losing oil and the horrible noise. (as long as the oil levels were monitored so it didn't go too low of course).  The noise was the timing chain gets stretched slightly and becomes a bit loose so it rattles at certain revs.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áSepá2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

I would also investigate possible compensation for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction of being forced to drive a noisy/oil sapping car for the last couple of years.

Not to mention the loss of money due to driving an engine not firing on all cylinders properly.  I'm getting much better MPG since I had the replacement engine (and it's supposed to get better once run in too).

Now we've had a couple of cold, damp mornings I've also noticed I get no massive trails of condensation behind me which was also a feature of the old engine (possibly oil burning off??).

Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áSepá2018 at 11:17am
Do you think I can even seek compensation on that basis? I have asked for help a couple of times now and had none whilst in warranty.
I took the car in to Nissan at the beginning of last year stating the petrol was going too quickly, they told me it was normal. Driving our Seat Arona makes me see the clear difference and the cost of driving the Qashqai!
The exhaust is full of soot. I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but my Grandad put his hand there told me to rev and his hand was black (I actually didn't know he had his hand there but he told me it is the only way for him to see what was coming out!)
I need to ring where I got the car from and actually inform them of everything and see their stance on it lies. I imagine I will be completely fobbed off!
But if I could get out of the finance on the car that would be the best thing, but I see myself having a hard time of that. I worry what will go wrong next on it!

By the way, thank you all for all of your comments. It has made me very optimistic on a problem I have been so worried about!

Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áSepá2018 at 11:18am
(Until now I have been dealing with the finance company, as I read it is down to them)
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áSepá2018 at 5:02pm
Hello!

A little update, so I spoke with my finance company and they have stated, once I have confirmation the car is faulty I can start proceedings. They will be liable to take the car back and I will be out of my agreement. (Hooray, less of a headache after seeing engines have been fixed and problems occuring!)

They have also stated, that they would deduct for fair usage. Does anyone have any ideas how they work the deductions/how much? I have paid 8k in 2 years on HP. 
On another hand can I claim for the work I have paid out the car?

For anyone interested, this is how the car sounds -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVzvKF9zW4

This morning, I checked and below the line again for oil, 3 litres was put in to the car 4 weeks on Monday just to bring it up to level. Now it is below already! Oh dear... 

Now I am anxiously awaiting my Nissan appointment where I am praying they confirm it is one of the faulty engines!!

Jess
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áSepá2018 at 5:04pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVzvKF9zW4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwVzvKF9zW4

Sorry, link here!
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áSepá2018 at 5:07pm
When I say below, I mean below the acceptable line and needed more oil this morning!

I wonder if I can claim on all of the cost of oil too lol
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerraymond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2018 at 5:44pm
UPDATE

Nissan have confirmed it needs a new engine, they have opened a case to Nissan UK who at the moment may as well be trying it's best to say it could be because it wasn't looked after properly. I am still waiting for them to come back to me.

I don't have the 1 missing service history from when I bought the car, the car has been serviced since and I have the history of that. 1 of the times luckily with Nissan. 

But the technical bulletin is very clear in what it says. Surely they have no leg to stand on if they try to say it isn't a faulty engine?

Dealership says it has an 'Internal fault on the engine' to do with pistons/chain.

Stressed out!

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2018 at 10:52am

UPDATE

Nissan have confirmed it needs a new engine, they have opened a case to Nissan UK who at the moment may as well be trying it's best to say it could be because it wasn't looked after properly. I am still waiting for them to come back to me.

I don't have the 1 missing service history from when I bought the car, the car has been serviced since and I have the history of that. 1 of the times luckily with Nissan. 

But the technical bulletin is very clear in what it says. Surely they have no leg to stand on if they try to say it isn't a faulty engine?

Dealership says it has an 'Internal fault on the engine' to do with pistons/chain.

Stressed out!

There's many of us now who've had the engine replaced due to the "known fault" with pistons/chain, and yours is in the affected vehicle range number, so I doubt they'd have a leg to stand on.    But those have all been under warranty of course.  Is there  a motoring ombudsman you could go to if they say no?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic