UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.5 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

1.5 diesel dci 'surging'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.5 diesel dci 'surging'
    Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 4:30am
Folks,

Don't normally get to drive the QQ, but did today...

Driving at light and stready throttle opening and can feel what I can only describe as 'surging'.  Worst when car cold - about -2 C.

Feels like the turbo is spooling up then losing boost pressure or similar.

I've read about this being a characteristic, but in all honestly did not notice it when we first got the QQ, but it has now done 1.2k miles.

My wife had noticed it, but did not tell me as she thought it must be normal...

I have read various threads on this, but not sure if I have read one with a completely satisfactory conclusion - i.e car starts driving smoothly after dealer fixes it...is there such a happy outcome, and if yes, what was the fix?

Dealer had it in to reset the airbag warning light after car delivered from another dealer with the light flashing (ipod kit fitting....) could resetting the airbag light potentially have undone an ecu software update or similar?

Bungledude View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungledude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 10:43am
I asked on the forum about something similar a couple of days ago. One owner reported the same but no fixes.
I can't say I've noticed it at steady speeds, it's only when accelerating on a light throttle opening on mine, and once at full throttle up a steep hill.
Maybe getting it chipped and set up would do the job Evil%20Smile
Ex-QQ owner
pablo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 2:20pm
  I have done over 3000 miles in mine in just over a month and mine has just started to miss a beat when light acceleration peddle pressure is applied.

It happens to to me at motorway speed.Thumbs%20Down
py07qas View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote py07qas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 6:33pm
my 2.0 dci missed a beat at constant speed within minutes of collecting it and continued doing it occasionally it was only slight but you could feel it like a hesitation. i took it to dealer and they had it for a day or so and said it needed a new ecu  i took it back in got it fitted and it came back a far smoother and quicker car. i wondered if there had been a software upgrade also either way it has been good ever since.
2.0dci visiagate
petromax View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 11:04am
Hi all,
My first time here today. Nice forumSmile

My 1.5 dCi have now 2800km on the clock, and have just started to "die for a second" At highway speed when accelerating on a light throttle opening, and at full throttle up-hill. VERY annoying phenomena!Confused
Any news about a fix??

did not try this one on the car yet due to the question of the item quality,(?) and the fact that im pritty much satisfied with the stock engine performance.
Well, im going to try it on now, to see if this hopefully will cure the surging phenomena..

Exept from this, and,,, a rattling inside left side of dash, the car is good. 
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 12:22pm
Welcome petromax (or should that be 'diesomax?).

Let us know how the powerbox goes.  My son just had his Honda Civic diesel 'chipped' (against my advice - but what can you do?) and reports a big difference in performance.

Edited by G5 BOY - 26 Feb 2008 at 12:23pm
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
petromax View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 2:47pm
Hi, thanksSmile

Was just trying the box,, and guess what, It did not even fire up with it!Confused
So,, was sending a mail to the seller asking what it could be.?
Anyway, like i said, the stock power is ok, if i just could make this surging issue go away, i would be happy!Stern%20Smile
Qgubben View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qgubben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2008 at 9:10am
I have the same problem with my 1.5 dCi: The engine is "dying for a second" at light throttle.

I reported the problem to the seller today and they say that there is
a fix/upgrade underway, maybe a re-programming of the injection code.
JanAndre View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanAndre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Qgubben Qgubben wrote:

I have the same problem with my 1.5 dCi: The engine is "dying for a second" at light throttle.

I reported the problem to the seller today and they say that there is

a fix/upgrade underway, maybe a re-programming of the injection code.

Any updates on this? This is a REALY annoying problem!

At my local Nissan dealership, they haven’t even heard of the problem…

Edited by JanAndre - 02 Jun 2008 at 8:37am
andy_benson View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
The First QQ+2 Forum Member!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy_benson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 2:46pm
I've always had this problem with my Diesel TerranoII, but only when using anything other than the big fuel suppliers... i.e. I now only ever use Shell, BP, or Esso. 'Supermarket' fuel has always resulted in 'pauses', 'coughs' and 'throbbing' when idling.

Was hoping this might not be an issue on the QQ, so I could get cheaper fuel..!!! Any 2.0 dci owners experiencing the same ...??
Proud owner of QQ+2 2.0dci 4WD Tekna Sat-Nav, in Fired Iron with Chocolate leather interior.
albatros View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by andy_benson andy_benson wrote:

'Supermarket' fuel has always resulted in 'pauses', 'coughs' and 'throbbing' when idling.

Was hoping this might not be an issue on the QQ, so I could get cheaper fuel..!!! Any 2.0 dci owners experiencing the same ...??

We have noticed no difference in driveability or MPG using either supermarket or premium brand diesel.
57, 2.0dCi [J10] Acenta, auto, pearl black/graphite, chrome side bars & tailgate strip (hers!) 07 Pathfinder Aventura, auto (mine!)
R.H.P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.H.P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by andy_benson andy_benson wrote:

... so I could get cheaper fuel..!!! Any 2.0 dci owners experiencing the same ...??
Absolutely no problems with either Tesco, Morrisons or Jet diesel which are the ones I usually use depending on which happens to be the cheapest at the time.

Steve View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 9:39am
The 1.5dci does surge a little - they nearly all do it. Nissan may well do a softwear update tfor the ecu, but it really is no big deal, just drive through it.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungledude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 9:22am
Sometimes all we want is confirmation that it's not our imaginations. We're not all "armchair lawyers" hell bent on exaggerating minor issues.
Ex-QQ owner
Qashqai Guy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Bungledude Bungledude wrote:

Sometimes all we want is confirmation that it's not our imaginations. We're not all "armchair lawyers" hell bent on exaggerating minor issues.

Well said that man Thumbs%20Up  Clap
My 2nd QQ both 1.5 Intense Blue lots of chrome this one the +2 GREAT Car
Steve View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Bungledude Bungledude wrote:

Isn't that what I gave you?
Qashqai Guy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashqai Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 5:58pm
I cant speak for Bungledude but yes thats what you gave me, and i think Bungledude got the same.  Cheers Thumbs%20Up
My 2nd QQ both 1.5 Intense Blue lots of chrome this one the +2 GREAT Car
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bungledude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 7:47pm
Yes, I'm happier now. I will enquire about any software upgrades when I take it in for a service, but it's not causing me any problems.
That squeaky seat, on the other hand...  Wink
Ex-QQ owner
sooty View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 2:43pm
I also have the same problem with my 1.5 dci.   It seems to be when slightly accelerating in 2nd gear.  Mentioned it to my local dealer but.................... hey ho!   they couldn't notice it!!
Along with all the annoying rattles that miraculously cease as soon as i drive on the dealers forecourt!
Sooty
Fired Iron 1.5 dci Acenta
Steve View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2008 at 4:37pm
Thing to do is drive the car with the service guy sitting next to you, or let him drive it whilst you are sitting next to him.
zedcuk View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedcuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:37am
Im getting the same on my 2.0 DCI.  Its been steadily getting more frequent as ive clocked through the miles (4.5K now in 3 months).  However its just a quick blip then its all back to normal.  
"Fluffy" Born March 31st, Tekna 2WD; 2.0DCI, Pearl Black, Sat Nav
Steve View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 11:55am
It is sometimes worth giving these cars an 'italian tune up'.

A reasonably high speed run on a motorway will very often help this sort of problem.
Shippy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 12:52pm

I noticed this for the first time this morning.  Nothing major, but at 5th it was doing this @65-70).  I didnt realise I was in 5th, changed to 6th and it seemed to go away.

One thing I definately noticed afterwards was that my 'miles left in the tank' started to drop quite rapidly.  Driving in 6th it went from 311-312 to 293-294 in the space of 10 minutes so there is definately something not right?  Anyone else noticed this?
Steve View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 1:00pm
Your 'miles in tank' will continually change depending on how you are driving. If you are in 6th and trying to accelerate, even slightly, your fuel consumption will increase dramatically and this will be reflected in the 'miles in tank' indicator. 5th and particularly 6th gears ore overdrives and are really designed for cruising and coasting.
Shippy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 1:37pm
Hi Steve,
The thing is, normally if I drive after my wife, my driving causes the consumption to either hold steady or go up (she seems to rev the car more than me).  It was like a countdown on a clock, every thirty seconds it lost another mile.  I havent seen it move that quickly before and was only coasting at about 65 in 6th (no aircon or cruise)  I will keep an eye on it over the next few trips. (qash has only done 1.3k)

Thanks
Stu
raynman View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raynman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 6:53pm

new memeber looking for people wiyh same fault my tekna 1.5 dci is so bad been back to dealers 4 times wiyh no joy so far,nissan dealer had no previous knowledge of this fault,waitig for nissan uk to reply CryCry????Cry

JohnB View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 5:21pm

A moments hesitation (then it’s gone)

If I travel at a constant speed and then gently accelerate, the car will give a momentary flat spot, hesitation, miss a beat (call it what you will), and then pickup and drive normally. I thought it was getting worse so I ran a diesel injector clearer though the system (my car has 13000 on the clock).  While the injector cleaner improved the MPG, the hesitation is still there, so does anyone have any ideas.

I have a 2.0 DCI, do any other 2.0 DCI owners suffer with the same (i.e. is it a common fault and has anyone found a fix?)

Regards

raynman View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raynman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 7:51pm
Car at dealer now they say there is a fault with egr valve,i still think ecu needs to be remapped,if this dosent cure fault maybe only fix will to fit super chip but at £300+ cost  not a cheap fix,also rear door card causing switch to keep falling out let you know next week if repair is good
pillywally View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillywally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 4:07pm

Hi all

Just collected 1.5 dci tekna from second, 25000 mile service. I also noticed hte surging at about 2500rpm. Told the dealer and they did find a fault and corrected it under warranty. All great now. Be aware of £300 for second service!!!!!

Pillywally
sooty View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sooty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 6:45pm
Hi Pillwally
Mine has this momentary flat spot/loss of power whatever you want to call it when I am slowly accelerating in second gear.  Nissan don't notice it whenever I take it in for them to check (numerous occassions) its going back in next week for a creaky drivers seat problem so will get them to check again. Do you know what they did when they rectified yours?
Sooty
Fired Iron 1.5 dci Acenta
pillywally View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillywally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2008 at 1:54pm
Hi Sooty

The receptionist did not explain to me but she did say that the problem was noted on hte "DCC"??????- not sure what that is but sounds like the E.C.U to me, which she said they reset and seemed fine to them. But to bring it back if it happens again. Already done 200miles since yesterday and does seem to have cured it.

Sorry not much help but good luck.

Pillywally
skyline View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 4:09pm
hi all this flatspot is a feature of the renault 1.5 dci..had 2 micra dci's and also my mate had one with this engine in and they all did it..only cure apart from a remap is to hit the floor with the accelerator quicker to get the boost up!!! tends to be worse when just accelerating slowly... Big%20smile

Edited by skyline - 06 Jul 2008 at 4:10pm
raynman View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raynman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 8:50pm
Hi had car back from dealers for 1 week done 200 miles still no good,now have a knocking noise from rear,rear door switch & card replaced  but switch fallen out again worst car ive ever had for the most amount of money very p----d off wit it going to get back on to dealers & nissan customer careAngry
teabagger View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teabagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 3:52pm
i have noticed this but its prob just the air con pump pulling in, creating extra load on the engine and causing the surge.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 4:58pm
Hi All

Raynman - knocking noise from rear could be rear shock bushes - warranty issue and known fault.

i too notice "surging" at 2300 revs.  Usually drive through it - will be raising it at my first service. Have now done 5.5K in 5 months.

Fee x

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic