UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.5 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

1.5dci Red and Orange Warning Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moist von Lipwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.5dci Red and Orange Warning Light
    Posted: 14áMará2017 at 10:47am
Bad times.

Been having some vibration in the front of the car from last week, and from what I could find I thought it might be the wheels need balancing.  No it's not...

On my way into work this morning on the A19 and theres a sudden judder and the car goes into limp mode and the red engine light comes on, closer to home than work so turn and around and the orange light comes on as well, but it carries on in limp mode and get the car back home.  Do the check in the 6-12 page of the manual for coolant/fan etc and notice the fans not spinning. The engine is rattling a bit on tickover as well.

2 choices,  ring the RAC and have them come and look at it (have the free cover from the dealer service).  However should they not be able to fix it (and natural pessimism means I'm sure they're not going to be able to) I think a dealer repair (which is the place they'll take it to) is going to be beyond my current budget.  Alternative is limping it another 8 miles tmrw morning to my local trusted independant.
59 1.5dci Acenta, Cafe Latte
Greeny87 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greeny87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áMará2017 at 10:51am
Could your trusted independent not recover it and thus minimise any potential engine damage?

My brothers Juke (which he'd collected an hour before hand!) threw up a red engine management light and it turned out to be a blocked hose - incidentally also a diesel. Not saying that's what it'll be by any means but I do hope you get it sorted!
Moist von Lipwig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moist von Lipwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áMará2017 at 11:01am
cheers,

they don't do recovery (as far as I know)  what I'm going to do is get the RAC out and have them diagnose it, then if that info means it needs to go to the dealer then so be it, but I'll give them a call and get an estimate from them first.  If its not a Nissan only fix the I'll get it to the local.
Moist von Lipwig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moist von Lipwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áMará2017 at 10:38pm
Well the RAC arrived, started it up and presto.  Running fine with no warning lights.  Did the diagnostic and Intermittent fault on injector 4 came up.  They took it out for a run and still no warnings.

The vibration was there though which the guy checked out and the offside wheel bearing is starting to go.    So the garage checked the injectors over and found nothing there, wheel bearing changed this afternoon (ú100+1.5hrs labour+VAT) picking it up in the morning.

Could have been a bit of muck in the fuel?
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áMará2017 at 10:05am
Could simply be a dirty injector, you can get some decent injector cleaner additives these days, Forte, Millers, etc.  Add some of that to your tank and take it for a good old italian tune up (find a nice stretch of road and ram it in 1st till just before the red line, 2nd, 3rd, then in 4th keep it at just under the red line for as long as your road or your nerves will allow!  That should burn off a lot of crud.

Then do it again a week later once the injector cleaner has had time to run through the system dissolving a bit more of the dirt.

I'm on petrol now, but used to do the italian tune up weekly on my 1.5dci when I had it! Quite an enjoyable bit of car maintenance to be honest..

Edited by chrisw99 - 16áMará2017 at 10:05am
QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic