UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Petrol Heads > 1.6i Petrol
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

1.6i CVT - anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6i CVT - anyone?
    Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 9:47am
I have 'near enough' decided to trade in my QQ in March for a new one, rather than keep it.

To save ú3k but not lose spec I am thinking of sticking with Tekna, but biting the bullet and ditching the +2 and 4WD, neither of which I have really used in the 3 years (famous last words).

There appears to be a further saving on purchase, VED and fuel to be made if I go for the 1.6i CVT instead of the 2.0, but I don't see anyone here with one, or am I missing someone?

Now I haven't driven a 1.6 and I am guessing that it is a might less punchy, which around town (most of my driving) I would hardly notice.  Some have said it struggles and revs high making it noisy on motorways, but would that be eliminated by the CVT?

Waddya think?

Edited by G5 BOY - 17áJaná2013 at 9:48am
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 10:01am
Friend has the 1.6 petrol manual Qashqai and hates it. Engine does not have enough power for size of car, don't think CVT gearbox will make it any better, probably make it even worse.

You would actually be better off with the 1.5 Diesel engine or stick with 2.0 petrol or diesel. Hope this helps in your decision making. If possible try test driving a 1.6 petrol at your dealership.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 10:26am
Cheers Paul.

No dirty diesel for me if I can avoid it matey Dead - plus I love the CVT and that only comes with a petrol.

Deffo won't save ú just to regret it, but why does no-one have a 1.6i CVT?

Guess I might have just answered my own question LOL.

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 10:56am
i always read the lack of power but it usually relates to motorway driving ect , my sis has the 1.6 and ive driven it locally and found it a nice drive , never put it under any stress though so cant say for sure , also the lack of 6th gear seems to be an issue with the engine running on high revs in 5th at 70

again if your majority of driving is local i doubt you would notice these potential issues . theres thousands on the road so cant be that bad can they , 

i went for the 1.5 over the 2ltr diesel as i dont need the extra ooomph with my driving 

i also never found the need for the 4x4 or +2 so wise move you made there methinks Thumbs Up

glad you've seen sense G Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:01am
Thanks Craig.

I just wonder if all the downside stuff (noisy, high revving, needing a higher gear etc.) might be sorted by the CVT.....??

Hence my question.

Confused

Some road tests on Youtube of QQ and Juke with the 1.6 CVT but sadly I don't speak foreign LOL.

Maybe I go look on the Juke forum?

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:31am
Just looked and searched '1.6 CVT'.

They all seem quite happy there, looking back over a year or so.  MPG sounds Ok and no problems reported.  In fact there were one or two who had traded their Qashqai 2.0 CVT for a Juke 1.6 CVT - spooky.

Mind you someone called 'Fee' kept butting in every conversation though LOL Wink.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:32am
mick a member on the juke forum was w=one of the first to get a juke 1.6 cvt and rates it highly , heres on of his posts:

Ok, so I have to admit that when I ordered my Tekna 1.6 Auto I had no idea what CVT was.

I have not been able to test drive the auto Juke as none of the dealers around here have one. Whilst checking my delivery date with my dealer today (he still manages a smile as I walk through the door) he suggested I try the Qashqai CVT. Great Idea.
For those of you who, like me, haven't driven one - all I can say is its fantastic. Into drive, foot down, smooth as silk. No notion of changing gear either up or down the box just constant smooth driving.

I am so glad I  ordered the CVT. The wait has now become REALLY worth it.

My 2.7 Terrano Auto now seems so.................................. Jerky. Loved it before. Oh Well not long to wait.
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:34am
Yes - saw that.

CVT rocks Tongue.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:38am
the only complaint i can find is someone that said when driving along then hitting a gradient (up) the cvt had a bit of a lumpy downchange but i think he may have an issue cos everyone else on the juke forum loved theres 

i can ask more if you need as im a mod on there 
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:43am
Ooooh yes please Craig.

Be quick though as I'm waiting for a call back from the dealer LOLLOL.

Just going to ask him if he has a 1.6CVT to test drive and his opinion.

Otherwise it's a 2.0 CVT for me.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 11:54am
all done , ill let you know of any replies as they come Thumbs Up
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 12:04pm
Thanks again Craig.

Dealer just rang back - they have an ex-demo 1.6CVT at their Salisbury branch.  He will get it to Bournemouth either tomorrow or Saturday for me to test.

Good service WESTOVER NISSAN BOURNEMOUTH Clap

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 12:27pm
great stuff , ill still forward any replies so you can get an idea from owners Thumbs Up
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 12:32pm
first reply:

Hi
Mine is a 1.6cvt and my previous was a 1.6cvt digt. i dont have the technical skills to give you a pro verdict on these but i dont think he will be dissapointed with either, the digt is a beast and power is never a issue, although fuel is. the 1.6cvt is of course not as powerful but once its been loosened up a bit 600+miles it runs very well, so much so i now dont miss the digt and appreciate the extra cash in my pocket.
I dont find myself sitting behind a QQ for very long Tongue

Sorry its not a very technical reply but i dont have that gene Ermm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 12:49pm
Cheers Craig
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 12:51pm
Did find out from my dealer that the CVT in the 1.6 is purely automatic, not semi-automatic like the 2.0 CVT which allows you to flip up or down a 'gear'.

Can't remember ever using that either though.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 2:07pm
Not driven the QQ 1.6CVT but my observation is that CVTs are a bit of a "marmite" feature - you either love them or hate them. You really, really need to get an extended test-drive to see what you think.

I've driven a manual 1.6 Qashqai as a courtesy car. It was smooth enough, but there was no getting away from the fact that the engine simply is hauling around a lot of metal for it's capacity.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 2:25pm
another reply:

I wouldn't have a 5 speed manual but I would have the cvt, from the reports it seems to be fine, every time i see a cvt it looks like it glides along 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áJaná2013 at 5:43pm
another reply

I've had my 1.6 (non Turbo) Juke CVT for nearly 2 years, without any problems.
I did test drive the Manual but found it required a 6th Gear as its rather noisy!!
I used to have a QQ 2ltr Petrol CVT for 2 years before buying the Juke so I understand where the CVT is coming from in terms of getting used to driving it. Its so smooth ( you'll soon get used to the "slipping clutch" sound when you put your foot down) I normally drive in "Normal" mode most of the time achieving around 39-41mpg. Driving at 70 the Revs are very low (unlike the Manual version) It also has a "L" Gear which is great if you find yourself in a slippery situation!!
Overall is does what it says on the brillant tin - take one for a Test Drive for as long as possible - I did for an afternoon before I made my mind up.
Good luck 
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2013 at 11:50am
Just keeps getting better Tongue thanks again Craig.  Confirms what I thought that the CVT negates the need for high revs at speed and so the call by manual 1.6ers for a 6th gear.

The 1.6 CVT QQ should be at my dealer this afternoon (snowy roads from Salisbury willing) so could be decision time this weekend - still wavering over the stone leather Ermm - heart v head.

I can tell mpg from the display and as it is an ex-demo it will have been driven 'properly' over short trips by various drivers so that should be a worst case indicator.

However, there are no motorways in Dorset and today (slushy and light snow falling now, but not settling on the roads) may not be the best for speed test on a dual carriageway, so maybe tomorrow when it's supposed to turn icy Evil Smile.  Either way it may confirm whether I can ditch the 4WD or not Shocked.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2013 at 11:51am
BTW - still no-one here with one?

I could be the guinea pig LOL Shocked.

When did Nissan start offering this combo anyway?

Edited by G5 BOY - 18áJaná2013 at 11:52am
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2013 at 11:55am
Thumbs Up , good luck on the rally stage
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2013 at 1:23pm
Have to say I love my CVT.

Silky smooth with power; but it is a 2.0L petrol.

Love it, but it's not for the 'boy racer' fraternity; although it does have a 'manual' shift side to it which is very good.

I love it. Big smileHeart

2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2013 at 3:21pm
OK - just test drove the 1.6 CVT.  It is not noisier than the 2.0 on tickover and general driving, slightly more noisy on acceleration.  Acceleration from say 50-70 is good, the kickdown is good,  but there is a noticeable hesitation on first touch, say when you pull into a roundabout from a stationary start.  Even wifey sitting in the back felt that and no, it wasn't me.  However, you can't expect it to be as good as a larger engine, that is like those numpties on the TV property programmes who intend to downsize then moan that each house they are shown is smaller than their current one LOL.

The mpg was showing 31 when I got in (about the same as my 2.0 4WD) Shocked but we reset it and it was showing 37 when I had finished - not bad but you will never know until you have driven it for a month or so by which time it's too late.

Q Will I go for the 1.6, saving ú10 a month on repayments, ú165 per year on VED (except I won't be paying year 1 anyway) maybe up to ú50 a month on fuel and maybe a few quid on insurance (although Auto Express lists the two as being in the same group - needs a check with my insurance company).........?

A NO - and do you know why? - because the gear knob on the 1.6 is as per the Juke (take a look on line) and it looks and feels like it's come from a 1970 Lada found in some breakers yard, whereas the knob on a 2.0 looks the dogs LOL - am I mad or what?

I have decided on Stone Leather interior Tongue but just need to show wifey the gallery here (Affy's in particular) to confirm the body colour, as she saw Gun Metallic on a dirty Juke and though it looked drab - bit of bling should sort that.  Yes I am a man not a mouse but I involved her in the test drive so will seek her counsel over the colour.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2013 at 4:01pm
white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white
 white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white white
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2013 at 4:03pm
you could buy a 2ltr gear knob and have it fitted for a lot less
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2013 at 4:05pm
LOL
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2013 at 4:11pm
It's not just the knob it's the whole gear change apparatus - take a look Dead IMO
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2013 at 10:25am
OK - job done - see signature - exactly 200 taps after deleting extras on QQ1 and QQ2 so no room to say QQ3 due March and no room to say Stone Leather interior.  Also no room to say Protection Pack and Chrome Side Strips.  Any other 'mini-bling' I will DIY and get cheaper from our friends on here as and when, but I wanted the side strips to go on while it was clean, go on straight and stay on so splashed out on those. LOL

Yesterday I tested the 1.6 CVT again and when I got in (after others had driven it since Saturday) it read 31mpg (only a heartbeat away from what mine shows. Confused

Saturday I pushed it hard on the dual carriageway and yesterday I drove sedately around the local roads (big part of my driving generally).  It hovered around 30-31 so no big advantage over the 2.0 CVT on fuel (although you wouldn't know for sure until you'd had it a few months by which time it's too late).

Saving on payments and VED in years 2 and 3 the only real difference (maybe ú10/m in year 1 and ú20/m in years 2/3.

Still it's only money eh? Wink

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2013 at 11:09am
Thumbs Up , great choice G 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic