Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

2.0 Dci big end failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.0 Dci big end failure
    Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 8:03am
I have a 2007 2.0 diesel J10 Qashqai. This has the Renault M9R engine. Until recently a great car. Bought with very low mileage and 95,000 miles now on the clock. Nissan had service recall on this engine in the Xtrail, same engine because of potential bottom end failure. They remapped the ECU no doubt lowering power output/rev combination. Guess what on a hot day the big ends went. I must add the car was imported into Australia. Nissan here have no interest and I have been told that this attitude is the norm from them. I wasn't asking for a new engine as the warranty is well and truly expired but I did want the remap to avoid it happening again on the replaced engine. There are two things going on here I think. The first is Nissan are expecting too much from the engine ( hence the detune ) and I also now think that the very thin oil now used is not appropriate for long engine life. Diesels in cars used clock up 300,000 miles with ease with heavier oil and less power. Over fuelling to clean out the DPF and the thin oil to cut down on friction and improve fuel economy are BAD for the engines life expectancy. Nissan are only interested in getting to just outside warranty it seems.
I'm interested in who else has suffered this type of engine failure which is pretty well admitted to in the Nissan service letter.
see below 
regards to all Dave.

Nissan letter to customers October 2013
‘Firstly this not a safety recall and is a voluntary service campaign, what it will involve is your local Nissan dealership reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM). The approximate time to complete this is within 20 minutes.
Our ongoing quality monitoring has identified a potential concern related premature engine bearing wear for the 2.0 litre diesel engine used on Qashqai / Qashqai+2 (J10) and X-Trail (T31). I am writing to let you know that your vehicle falls within the range of potentially affected vehicles.
Nissan has identified that in a small number of cases when operating under a high load, high engine speed and severe driving conditions, the engine bearings may wear.
In the unlikely event this issue occurs you can identify an abnormal engine noise or lack of engine power. If this engine noise or lack of power is ignored and you continue to operate the vehicle, then in extreme cases the engine may stall due to seizure of the main or connecting rod bearings.
What corrective action will Nissan take?
Nissan will reprogram the Engine Control Module to reduce the maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute. As a result, the engine will no longer operate in a high load and high engine speed condition that may cause premature bearing wear
The reduction in maximum achievable engine revolutions per minute will not affect the maximum speed of the vehicle.’
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic