UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 2.0 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

2.0 dci feels powerless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.0 dci feels powerless
    Posted: 26áDecá2012 at 11:12am
I don't know if powerless is the right word but that's how my car feels.

My car has for some reason developed a very interesting condition for itself. This started around 6 - 7 months ago when the car was around two months old.
Driving home the car spluttered and the engine almost died. I added revs and nothing happened. It felt like something was holding the car back. Then bam all of the sudden it started to move ok. This happened almost instantly again. After that it did not do it on that trip.
Next time I drove the car the same thing but this time only once.

After that episode the car has felt powerless and lifeless. It accelerates yes, but not like it used to.
It feels like there's tons of torque and hp missing.

I've tried resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery and done the usual stuff. There's no error codes and no warning lights. The car just feels numb.

I suspect that there's something wrong with the common rail injectors. Maybe one of them has died or is working at reduced capacity. Or the other problem could be that the turbo is not generating enough air. The pressure stays lower than it should.

Has anyone else experienced something like this and if yes, has it been fixed and what was the fix? It's pretty useless to take the car to a dealers and hope that they would find the fault knowing they wont. I'm in a better position if I can tell them where to look for the fault.

Thanks for any tips.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áDecá2012 at 11:19am
Have you not had it back at dealers?????

Hope you get it sorted

Fee x
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áDecá2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Fee Fee wrote:

Have you not had it back at dealers?????

Hope you get it sorted

Fee x

No not yet. I have the first service coming soon so I want them to have a look at this problem at the same time.

I was hoping that someone here would've possible seem an issue like this before and would be able to help addressing it.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áDecá2012 at 2:11pm
Check your brake calipers are not seized.  After a short drive with minimum braking, check weather you have hot discs.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áDecá2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

Check your brake calipers are not seized.  After a short drive with minimum braking, check weather you have hot discs.

Thanks. I'll check them. This feels more like a turbo issue though.

I have an obd software which can read boost and rail pressures. Have to see if they are on the correct mark.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áDecá2012 at 9:47am
One problem I have hear of happening with that engine is the intercooler hoses coming loose. Which would - obviously - result in a lack of power.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áDecá2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

One problem I have hear of happening with that engine is the intercooler hoses coming loose. Which would - obviously - result in a lack of power.

Would that cause engine light to come on? That hasn't happened.

But this is what I also suspect the most. There has to be a leak or loose hose somewhere in the intake side. I'll have to have this checked in the first service. Not long for that.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áDecá2012 at 2:30pm
Well, usually you'd expect it to. For some reason, though, it often doesn't on the Qashqai.

Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áJaná2013 at 3:08pm

Ok power loss problem fixed.

Reason was a faulty brake light switch. And yes no MIL light from this one even it did drop the engine to safe mode. There was a intermittent fault code in ecu though.
Now it moves again like it should. :)
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áJaná2013 at 3:10pm
nice one Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Craigy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áJaná2013 at 8:05pm
hmmmm yet another quite major fault which doesn't get logged, curious. Seems like the software engineers for Renault/ Nissan have missed out quite a lot of important code!
N-Tec 2.0Dci 4x4 in Nightshade.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áJaná2013 at 10:20pm
interesting... My brake light switch was replaced as well as it kept killing the engine when accelerating. This left no fault code, but a video taken of the fault was enough to get the local Nissan dealers to actually investigate.

Edited by 2Fat2Bald - 25áJaná2013 at 10:20pm
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áJaná2013 at 12:28pm
Can you please explain, 2F2B, how a faulty brake light switch affects the engine? It doesn't sound logical but I presume there is some sort of feedback loop that is not obvious.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áJaná2013 at 12:38pm
Basically. If you brake and accelerate at the same time the car cuts the engine power. I am not entirely sure why. Mine is an auto diesel, so not all may do this.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJaná2013 at 11:20am

Basically. If you brake and accelerate at the same time the car cuts the engine power. I am not entirely sure why. Mine is an auto diesel, so not all may do this.

Why on earth would you accelerate and brake at the same time? By mistake I suppose, so is this a safety measure in case of foot co-ordination problems? I can see that this would be more likely on automatics as I have heard that some people indulge in left foot braking.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJaná2013 at 11:28am
Originally posted by brianmf brianmf wrote:

Why on earth would you accelerate and brake at the same time? By mistake I suppose, so is this a safety measure in case of foot co-ordination problems? I can see that this would be more likely on automatics as I have heard that some people indulge in left foot braking.

With current electronic throttle control it a normal feature that when you press brake it cuts the throttle.
Left foot braking is not possible with modern cars because of that.

In my case there was a fault logged in the ECU. Normal obd does not show it as the fault was in the CAN bus side.
The fault was intermittent so that explained why sometimes the car was working fine so I started to doubt my mental health :)
No the car has been working really well. No problems whatsoever.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJaná2013 at 11:51am
My guess is that its a safety feature. The brake overrides the throttle, in case there is a problem with the throttle system. This way if the car is stuck at wot the brakes will override this and stop the car.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJaná2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Downtime Downtime wrote:

With current electronic throttle control it a normal feature that when you press brake it cuts the throttle.

I don't understand why not (not that I would want to do it anyway). So long as both pedals are not actuated at the same time they should function independently.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJaná2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by brianmf brianmf wrote:

Originally posted by Downtime Downtime wrote:

I don't understand why not (not that I would want to do it anyway). So long as both pedals are not actuated at the same time they should function independently.

Maybe a safety feature like 2fat2bald mentioned or maybe a general agreement between car manufacturers, don't know.
There should be no technical objection to it anyway. I haven't encountered a car with electronic throttle that allows trashing the car around with left foot braking :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic