UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > In Car Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

2012 (62) Nissan Qashqai - headunit swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 (62) Nissan Qashqai - headunit swap
    Posted: 15áMará2018 at 12:44pm
i am collecting my 2012 (62) Nissan Qashqai on saturday.
it currently has this headunit

http://i64.tinypic.com/25z3rs2.jpg

i have a sony xav-ax100 android auto double din headunit and will be keeping that when i get rid of the old car.
it has camera support.
the back of looks like this

http://i64.tinypic.com/16k2s1v.jpg

will it be possible to fit this into the nissan?
Greeny87 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greeny87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áMará2018 at 3:19pm
With a wiring adapter (and possibly on for the aerial) you should be alright. The unit I have in my Qashqai looks exactly like that at the back - I have the single CD/FM Radio unit. 

Incidentally, what did you have planned for the radio you're pulling out of it??

Edited by Greeny87 - 15áMará2018 at 3:20pm
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áMará2018 at 3:26pm
no plans other to stick it in a box and leave it there until it needs to go back in when i get rid of the qashqai in the future.

if i could fit and still have steering wheel controls and even still have the reverse camera working (the sony support camera input) then that would be the best outcome.
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2018 at 11:52am
i swapped out the head unit today, and all went well (used the connects2 kits + stalk adaptor + camera connection kit).

everything works except the physical camera button on the dash - the one to turn it on manually at low speed.
i think that's because the headunit isn't sending the "alive" signal to it unless it's physically in reverse.

only thing i noticed is that i have 2 plugs left unused - see photo.

http://i68.tinypic.com/i1xy61.jpg

anyone know what these are?
i suspect one is for the USB AUX port and the other for the microphones next to the interior light?
if so, are there convertors for these?
Greeny87 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greeny87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2018 at 11:59am
Originally posted by chenks chenks wrote:

i swapped out the head unit today, and all went well (used the connects2 kits + stalk adaptor + camera connection kit).

everything works except the physical camera button on the dash - the one to turn it on manually at low speed.
i think that's because the headunit isn't sending the "alive" signal to it unless it's physically in reverse.

only thing i noticed is that i have 2 plugs left unused - see photo.

http://i68.tinypic.com/i1xy61.jpg

anyone know what these are?
i suspect one is for the USB AUX port and the other for the microphones next to the interior light?
if so, are there convertors for these?

The grey one is the factory USB connector that's for certain. Always thought the blue one was the GPS Question

Does the unit fit well in the dash? I've been considering the exact same one you've got.
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2018 at 7:33pm
ah yeah that might indeed be the GPS as the original headunit did have satnav.

it's fit almost perfect, but i had to screw the supplied brackets a bit further down the headunit to make it sit flush with the dash.

with the stalk adapter installed i still had to go into the headunit settings and set custom stalk controls and let it learn each button press.

i kit i used was.

Connects2 CTKNS03 - the basic cable conversion kit (which comes with the stalk adapter)
Connects2 CAM-NS1-RT - the cable conversion for the camera support.so i either need to find something to convert that plug to standard USB to connect to the new headunit, or just get a new USB socket and run the cable back to the headunit (there is a kit for that, but running the cable might be tricky).
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2018 at 7:36pm
oh and there were three cables that needed connected to GROUND.
i saw a screw at the rear of the dash that was screwed to a metal piece, so i assume that would be good enough for GROUND.

the sony head unit has a cable that says it needs to be connected hand brake live, i assume so that the headunnit knows when it's parks so Anroid Auto enables menus (it limits then when you are moving).
some people have said you can connect it to GROUND to get around that, but i'm not sure.
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áAprá2018 at 8:32pm
images of headunit in place

http://i66.tinypic.com/6rj88l.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/21lrhbc.jpg
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áAprá2018 at 8:33pm
edit, why is it whenever i post images they don't show up?
those two i posted inside [IMG] tags.
jompy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áAprá2018 at 9:51am
Hey chenks
I'm new to the QQ and am still working things out , does the head unit that your taking out of your QQ stream music through Bluetooth as well as connect your phone ?
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áAprá2018 at 9:55am
yes the Nissan Connect has bluetooth
jompy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jompy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áAprá2018 at 10:01am

yes the Nissan Connect has bluetooth

Cheers for the quick reply buddy , it's just that the wife's bought a visia and the phone will connect to the Bluetooth to make calls but she says she can't stream music and it has no AUX button .
Trying to find info on the net can be like pulling teeth or that bit in irobot where the dead guys hologram says "sorry my responses are limited"
Greeny87 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greeny87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áAprá2018 at 7:58pm

ah yeah that might indeed be the GPS as the original headunit did have satnav.

it's fit almost perfect, but i had to screw the supplied brackets a bit further down the headunit to make it sit flush with the dash.

with the stalk adapter installed i still had to go into the headunit settings and set custom stalk controls and let it learn each button press.

i kit i used was.

Connects2 CTKNS03 - the basic cable conversion kit (which comes with the stalk adapter)
Connects2 CAM-NS1-RT - the cable conversion for the camera support.so i either need to find something to convert that plug to standard USB to connect to the new headunit, or just get a new USB socket and run the cable back to the headunit (there is a kit for that, but running the cable might be tricky).

Thank you for providing this information. Must admit, I do like how it looks in the dash. It's on my list of purchases at some point...
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2018 at 10:43am
running the new usb cable from the head unit into the storage area in the arm rest was easy.
unclip the gear stick cover, unclip the cup holders, unclip the rear of the storage area.
this gives plenty access to feed the cable thru.
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2018 at 12:56pm
this has been a very interesting discussion because the Connect unit (which looks the same as your picture) in my QQ+2/2011 has become faulty (radio has weak signal and bluetooth must be disabled else it crashes and reboots every five minutes).

I was considering an Android Auto head unit and had been wondering whether I could get the camera to work, I wasn't so worried about the steering wheel controls.

I don't have a camera button on my dash anywhere, the camera comes on automatically when I select reverse gear, and it locks out most of the buttons on the Connect.
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
chenks View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2018 at 1:02pm
the camera turns on automatically when put into reverse.
the button i have on the dash is to flip it to front camera mode.

the only issue i'm left with is that i get almost zero MW radio signal.
MW worked when using the connect headunit, and MW worked when i used the sony headunit in my previous car.

so i can only assume it's a weird compatability issue with the aerial and new head unit.
it's not a major loss, but occasionally i flipped over the MW when the FM version had a regional opt-out.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2018 at 1:30pm
it could be that there's an amplifier in-line with the coax to the antenna? and that might be blocking any AM signal?

if that's the case, it would explain why my Connect has very poor signal. If I remove the external antenna, there's no signal at all.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2018 at 1:31pm
p.s. did you need any tools to remove the Connect from the dash?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic