UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J11 Qashqai 2014 - > Nissan Qashqai J11 Engine Range > 1.2 L Turbo I4 (Petrol)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

2016 Qashqai problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 Qashqai problems
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 8:24pm
Hi....

I recently bought a new QQ with the 1.2dig-T engine and I'm starting to regret this in a big way having only covered 2000 miles!

Firstly fuel consumption. The best I have managed on mixed driving (majority motorway) is 37mpg which I think is pretty poor compared to the quoted figures. Around town it dips into the high 20's which is only sightly better than my Mitsubishi Evo and that's 4wd, 2.0 with 3 times the power?

What are the real world mpg figures?

Secondly.....The car went back into Nissan after only 500 miles due to a noise. The noise occurs on the over run if revved when stationary, it appears to come from the induction. When revved you can hear the flutter from the re-circ valve then there is a pop/puff noise. Nissan have told me that apparently they all do it? I've owned many different turbo jap cars(and still do) and I have never heard a noise like this through the induction whether that be using a stock panel filter and airbox or aftermarket induction kit.

No Nissan tech could tell me why it makes the noise, it would be good to know if anyone else's QQ with the same engine makes this noise.

The next issue I have noticed is. If crawling along in traffic in first gear and you let off the accelerator, the revs don't drop straight away, they will stick around 2k-1,5k for a few seconds then drop....This can't be right surely? If this isn't a problem then surely it must be a mapping issue? I only noticed it yesterday because my wife uses the car as her daily.

......and finally. Whilst out tonight I had the windows down because of the lovely weather, this is when I noticed a rattle coming from the engine under load. At first I thought it was the car behind but it's definitely my car. Now I've checked the oil and all its all ok, it doesn't sound like anything loose it's definitely engine related and is consistent with the engine revs.

I'm going to call Nissan in the morning and get the car booked in again but thought I'd post up to see if any of my issues have been seen before.

Thanks in advance
Jay
tattoobob26 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tattoobob26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:18pm
I have got the same car but mine is automatic and has none of the things your describing. I would be getting it in asap. My fuel economy is very similar I think they will get better once run in.

Edited by tattoobob26 - 24 Aug 2016 at 9:19pm
2016 Qashqai 1.2 dig-t n-conecta x-tronic with comfort pack in Pearl Black.
2012 Range Rover Evoque Prestige auto in Fuji White.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:46pm
What do you expect from this wee engine? To accelerate a Qashqai it has to do real work. How does an engine do real work? It consumes fuel. The more work, the more fuel...

The revs not dropping right away reduces pollutants ...

Edited by Udo2009 - 24 Aug 2016 at 9:47pm
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

What do you expect from this wee engine? To accelerate a Qashqai it has to do real work. How does an engine do real work? It consumes fuel. The more work, the more fuel...

The revs not dropping right away reduces pollutants ...

What do I expect? I expect a better mpg of 27 around town and how the hell does the revs not dropping reduce pollutants? It would increase pollutants due to more fuel being burnt.

GelJ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:51pm
If you check other posts here on mpg, you'll see other users confirm it'll gradually improve.
We all know manufacturer's claims are in cloud cuckoo land, but seemingly permitted to get away with spurious(exaggerated) claims.
Check Honest John's data here;
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/nissan
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 5:55pm
Can't help on your other issues I'm afraid, but the mpg is nowhere near the claimed which is outrageous IMO .

It does improve with use and I can now get high 30s on my 3 mile gentle drive to work.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Can't help on your other issues I'm afraid, but the mpg is nowhere near the claimed which is outrageous IMO .

It does improve with use and I can now get high 30s on my 3 mile gentle drive to work.

Hi......I'm really hoping it does get better!

I called the Nissan dealer at 12pm this afternoon to try and get the car booked in for them to have a look. I was advised that all the service lines were all busy and someone would call me back. No one did call me back so at 4.30pm I called them back myself, they told me I would be better off calling Nissan's breakdown line and get them to come out....Really?

....anyway, I called them and explained there was a rattle from the engine and the dealer advised I call them. They said they would send someone out with in 90 minutes.....I've been waiting 3.5 hours and no sign of anyone.....I knew I should of bought the new Civic Type r!
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:13pm
I've just had a visit from RAC guy who thinks the rattle is indeed the timing chain rattling......Not bad for 2000 mile old engine....He's advised not to drive it.

Calling any 1.2dig-t engine owners, would you do me a favour please?

When idling, blip the throttle to about 2.5k then let off to see if you hear a pop/puff noise....I would really appreciate it just to see if what they say is true, that they "all do it"

Thanks in advance
Jay
tattoobob26 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tattoobob26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:31pm
I've just been and done mine and there is no noise like that.
2016 Qashqai 1.2 dig-t n-conecta x-tronic with comfort pack in Pearl Black.
2012 Range Rover Evoque Prestige auto in Fuji White.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by tattoobob26 tattoobob26 wrote:

I've just been and done mine and there is no noise like that.

The noise is pretty distinctive so you would definitely hear it.....I'll try and get a vid of the noise tomorrow.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:55pm
Just tried mine - twice - and no untoward so noises - 'twas sweet . 16k miles.

Sorry.

jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Just tried mine - twice - and no untoward so noises - 'twas sweet . 16k miles.

Sorry.

You don't live close to Northbourne do you so I can hear for myself? lol
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:10pm
Ha - didn't spot your location.

No - not Northbourne. We have our feet in Bournemouth and house is overlooking the River Stour which is the Christchurch border.

Guess you got your baby from Westover Nissan?

jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:20pm
Yes did get if from Westover Nissan...Smile
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 6:06pm
A quick update....

Regarding the rattle, I've just had call from Nissan who have confirmed it is the Timing chain rattling which isn't great for a new car that has only covered 2000 miles and was first heard by my wife after only a few hundred miles of owing it.

As for the pop/puff noise, I've been told that the noise happens on the later 1.2 engine and not the earlier ones, my car is a 2016 model so not sure it that is indeed correct but that's what they are saying.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 7:07pm
I have now started the process of rejecting the car, the reason for this is firstly the engine rattle for which I haven't heard anything from the dealer in terms of a fix since I collected it last Wednesday and now it has developed a new noise. I now have cluck when changing gear!.......This car brings a whole new definition to the word Lemon!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 11:17am
Disappointing indeed Ouch.

Westover are generally very good - I've had 3 of my 4 QQs from them.

Are they not helping you?
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 12:41pm
Very disappointing indeed and it has really taken the shine off buying my first ever brandnew car.

Ironically, the worst car I've ever owned was also a Nissan many years ago, a Nissan Pulsar Gti-r.....Unreliable and a nightmare to work on!

jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 5:26pm
So it's been 3 days since Nissan customer services said a case manger would call me back within 3 days, guess what?...No call back!

..........so I've just called them only to be told that my case manager is off work unexpectedly and will call me sometime next week...Am I being fobbed off? Absolutely!

Peter729 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 5:36pm
Keep a log of all the dates you have contacted Nissan nothing better than facts to hit their Customer Service with.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 7:17pm
I've just got back from the dealers as advised by customer services rep to try and get it booked in. Apparently the reason I haven't had a call back regarding the timing chain is because it's not even on their system that it needs sorting! The only info they have on their system is that when it was picked up when it was diagnosed with a timing chain issue, I had to pay £20 for fuel because there wasn't enough for a long test drive, nothing on there regrading having it back in to have it fixed.....You couldn't make it up!

The car has been left there but I've told them I don't want it back and fully intend to call the finance company and explain to them why I don't want it back....In the meantime they have given me a courtesy car....Another Qashqai!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 11:16am
Not much of a consolation, but it could be worse - they could have lent you an old Pixo .

Last one they lent me was a 370Z GT - #justsayin
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 12:31pm
The courtesy Qashqai they have given me is brandnew Tekna with only 34 miles on the clock and just about every conceivable extra. It also has the 1.6 dig-t engine as opposed to my 1.2 dig-t. 

I went out in it this morning and from cold start covered about 8 miles and it was returning 38.6mpg.....Makes a mockery of my mpg, I couldn't even get that at a steady 65mph whilst sat on A16 toll road in France a few weeks ago and it's 10 miles more than I get around town!

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 6:20pm
That engine gets good reviews. My choice was restricted by my love of auto boxes - and the fact that engine came out after my purchase.

jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm
It does seem a cracking engine, plenty of grunt from down low which is what the 1.2 lacks and a pretty good mpg to boot...(Well far far better than mine!) lol

I would advise anyone looking at both engines to opt for the 16 over the 1.2, they wont regret it!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:06pm
Unless you want an auto.

I think this is a combo only available on the Juke but not the QQ.

Don't know why - it would tempt me.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 3:02pm
Just a little post regards MPG in the 1.6 dig-t courtesy car.

We've just been to see some friends who live about 30 miles from us. The Journey takes us on A roads and some nice B roads, no dual carriage way or motorways. On the way there without going over 65mph the car recorded and average mpg of 44 and peaked at 48......On the way back I was stuck behind a few cars and didn't get over 60 and it peaked at 50 and recorded 49.

This is on car that has covered just 100 miles from new, so not even run in.....This is the sort of mpg I was expecting with the 1.2 and what the salesman told me was possible!

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/jayallen_01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0007_zps2gh4mvks.jpg. - http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/jayallen_01/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0007_zps2gh4mvks.jpg

http://s85.photobucket.com/user/jayallen_01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0010_zpsbbrxeoxr.jpg. - http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/jayallen_01/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0010_zpsbbrxeoxr.jpg

jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2016 at 6:50am
The dealer has had my car for over a week now and I've had no contact with regards what is actually happening. Twice now I've spoken to Nissan customer services and twice they have said they will call me back, still nothing! .....It really is that age old case of once they've got your money they don't really care and I'm actually amazed at the after sales, there really isn't any.

One thing that did make me laugh is a manager at the dealers telling my wife that it's quite usual for a brandnew car to come back after a couple of months "to have things tightened up". The only reason for that to happen would be if it hadn't been screwed together right in the first place!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by jay70 jay70 wrote:

The dealer has had my car for over a week now and I've had no contact with regards what is actually happening. Twice now I've spoken to Nissan customer services and twice they have said they will call me back, still nothing! .....It really is that age old case of once they've got your money they don't really care and I'm actually amazed at the after sales, there really isn't any.

One thing that did make me laugh is a manager at the dealers telling my wife that it's quite usual for a brandnew car to come back after a couple of months "to have things tightened up". The only reason for that to happen would be if it hadn't been screwed together right in the first place!

Jay

I know someone at Westover who would be concerned about this and he knows I am a big cheese on here Wink.  Pm me your reg and I will try to give them a nudge that way - can't do any harm IMO.

EDIT: I will email him with a link to this topic now anyway.

Edited by G5 BOY - 19 Sep 2016 at 10:56am
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:26am
Emailed Sales and Service.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:37pm
I had an answer phone message left on my work phone on Friday(only picked it up this morning) for me to call the dealers with regards to the car so I called this morning and asked to speak to the person who left the message. I was told she was busy but when she is free she would call me back..

As per usual, no phone call...lol

I then called customer services to speak to my case manager who funnily enough was going to call me back last Wednesday to go over my case once he had spoken to the dealer. He was also busy but apparently was going to call me back today.....

Guess what.............No call back! lol

It's actually farcical now.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 7:22pm
Update time.....

I received a call on Wednesday telling me the car was all fixed, the engine had been removed and the timing chain issue resolved, so after work I headed up there with my wife.

At this point with regards to rejecting the car, I had read the consumer law act regarding new cars and it states that if the car is older than 30 days but less than 6 months the dealer has one attempt to fix the car and if that's unsuccessful then you’re entitled to a full refund – or a partial refund, taking into account the mileage and wear and tear the car has experienced since you took delivery.

Once at the dealers the car is brought round for us by the assistant service manage(who I must add has been great up to this point). We head out for a little test drive to try and highlight the "clunking gear change" issue and my concern about the mpg. During the test drive the car was faultless, no clunking, no engine rattle but not really enough miles covered to determine any mpg issue. Once back at the dealers, the assistant manger goes inside to get my a form to document petrol fill ups vs litres vs miles so we can get an idea of what mpg it is returning and to see if there is an issue. Whilst he was inside I noticed some damage to the front of the car, a scuff on the front bumper skid plate and a broken front camera which wasn't like that when we dropped it off. I pointed this out when he returned and he assured me it would be put right.....So we left leaving the car there and taking the courtesy car.

Late yesterday afternoon I received a call saying once again the car was ready for collection but being so late in the afternoon it was too late to pick up so arranged to pick it this morning we me going in late to work. The car looked good, the scuff had been sorted and camera was all fixed so I said my thankyou's, left and dropped the car off home before I headed to work. I get in this evening and my wife tells me its clucking in gear and clunking under the car!!! So I head off for a test drive and sure enough it's clunking, sometimes loud and sometimes not so.

............Time to head back to the dealers!

When we arrive the assistant manger greets us and I tell him the issues. We head out again for a test drive with him driving.....Sure enough, it's clunking for which he tells me its the brake pads moving in the carrier and it's not a clunking in gear issue. Sure enough, if you reverse then move forward there is a loud clunk from under the car. I'm told that it's a characteristic of the car???.....I'm sorry but I'm not paying the best part of £24k for a car that gives off a loud clunk every time you reverse then head off forward!.....

Now at this point he's got me convinced that the noise is just the brake pads moving and not the gear change so he tells me he'll contact Nissan to see what can be sorted for which I agree and head off home.......I get less than 500 yards from home and I change from second to 3rd and "clunk" I didn't even touch the bloody brakes!....So there definitely is a gear change clunk and it appears the brake pads also clunk, so off I go again there tomorrow.!

Anyone else's brakes clunk when going from reverse to moving forward?

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 7:39am
No, but mine's an auto.

I feel your pain - very disappointing.
jay70 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:04pm
The car is once again back at the dealers but this time  i emptied it of all my belongings, gave them the keys, told them I don't want it and walked home!

Whilst I was there, there were a few people with their own problems. One guy with a 2014 Qashqai who has been waiting since January to have his suspension sorted under warranty and an elderly couple wandering why their Juke was loosing oil......

Next step for me........legal.

Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
You haven't had much luck with that car :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic