Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Petrol Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

2.0L PETROL CONSUMPTION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 10:31am
Thanks SuperMop. That's very useful info. I have registered on that site but, of course, it does require the discipline of making a note of all the parameters whenever you fill up and I'm not very good at that. Still, I do have a fortnightly fuel account so that does part of the job.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:38am

it is a discipline for sure - and for my RAV4, I ended up stopping recording fuelings about a year ago (but only sold the RAV4 about a month ago)  - but I am trying to be more strict on the Qashqai!  Easier as the news coming out is better (45mpg+ rather then 25mpg+) and the range of the Qashqai of twice that of the RAV4! Big smile

PS - one of the handy features of that site is that you can set reminders to be emailed to you for things like Tax, Insurance, MOTs, etc.

Edited by SuperMop - 14 Jun 2010 at 11:39am
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

manual gearboxes are renowned for being more economical

Not so with the CVT Craig - it is more economical than the manual 2.0 petrol apparently.

Brian - my 2007 averaged 30 over 3 years/33k miles mixed driving.  My 2010 +2 shows a current 33 average right now and I have done a few long trips recently (more than usual).  I accidentally reset it at a fuel stop on the motorway recently so could see what a pure motorway drive was - 40.  So I reckon on short town trips only, maybe 20-25 would be right.

FeeFeeGlasgow got a really scary 15mpg out of her 2.0 petrol (less than a Lambo........!!!!) and I always thought she had a fault to get such bad mpg - maybe get yours checked?

Edited by G5 BOY - 14 Jun 2010 at 12:29pm
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 1:53pm
I already mentioned it to the dealer and he said there is not much that he could do with regards to fuel consumption, particularly as general performance seems to be fine.
Back in May, FeeFeeGlasgow said she was getting 33.9mpg in totally urban driving so I wonder if there was something done by her dealer to improve consumption.
My wife is out today on a longer trip so it will be interesting to see what the computer is showing when she gets home.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 2:16pm
Well if you can get your car out on the motorway for a decent run then i'm sure it will get better BrianThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by brianmf brianmf wrote:

Back in May, FeeFeeGlasgow said she was getting 33.9mpg in totally urban driving so I wonder if there was something done by her dealer to improve consumption.

You are probably not keeping up with Fee (and who can blame you).  That probably refers to her 1.6.  Before that she had a 1.5 and before that she had the 2.0 - what a girl LOL.

EDIT: Here's her signature..............2.0l Visia in Flame Red to 1.5dCi Acenta in Cafe Latte to a 1.6 Acenta in Intense Blue.....and shortly a Candy White 1.6Tdi GOLF SE. Confused

Edited by G5 BOY - 14 Jun 2010 at 4:56pm
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 6:52pm
You're right G5 Boy. That did indeed refer to the 1.6l and I see that the consumption of the 2.0l was her reason for moving to the Golf 1.6TDi.
She will certainly be more satisfied with the consumption on that.
Oh dear, what have I done? Everyone told me to go for the petrol option if our annual mileage was low but the rules of the game seem to have changed.
My wife did 50km of motorway driving today and that brought the average down to 13.5l/100km (20.92mpg) and makes our total distance covered 250km - hold on a minute though - the computer says we have also 250km to go before the next fill-up. That would mean 51.13 litres for 500km or 10.226l/100km (27.62mpg). That makes the computer highly suspect in my book - back to first principles it seems!
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2010 at 11:00pm

H Brian, remember that the range left is based on the average consumption over the last n miles  (and I don't know what n is I am afraid)

It is always amusing when you end up driving a bit slower after a faster section and see the miles left before needing to fill up go up - perpetual motion!
Right now, my Qashqai has over 1,100km left before I need to refuel, which is rather unlikely!

Re your economy on the motorway - looks pretty good, as your wife seems to have achieved a touch under 44mpg on her 50km of motorway - which is why the apparent range has gone up so much. 

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 9:56am
.................and don't forget that the 'average' will become more meaningful the more miles you have covered.  Mine was reading 9 when I picked it up Shocked as it had probably just been ticking over or moved on and off a transporter - not the most economical driving LOL.

If the comp reading is worrying you Brian then do it the old way.......fill up, check mileage, run down, fill up and check mileage done/litres used.

brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:00am
You are indeed correct SuperMop - 6.3l/100km over that last 50km is not bad at all and that's without using cruise control, which is a step too far for my wife. Still use of cruise control is not a good idea during the first 2000km anyway.

Your 1100km to go before refuelling is a real laugh. It does rather throw doubt on the whole fuel consumption algorithm.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:03am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

If the comp reading is worrying you Brian then do it the old way.......fill up, check mileage, run down, fill up and check mileage done/litres used.

That's my intention but we are still on our first tank of fuel so it will still be a few days before I can do the calculation.
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:28am

I was too eager to wait to use a full tank to check the average when I first got Dougal (my QQ)  Big smile  (too used to an terrible on-board computer to trust them). 

Going to be doing about 1,600 miles in the next two weeks so will have ample chance to do some checks Clown

Edited by SuperMop - 15 Jun 2010 at 10:28am
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:33am
be interesting to hear the results Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 6:43pm
Mmm! Just refuelled. Put in 52.13 litres and had done 403km since the last (first) fill of 51.13 litres.
The computer now indicates 12.2l/100km but my calculation says we've averaged 12.94l/100km (21.83mpg) - not impressive by any stretch of the imagination.
Well, we're off to a barbeque near Calais at the end of next week so it will be interesting to see what it achieves on its first longish run.
I'm not quite sure why SuperMop's German site indicates an even worse figure.

Edited by brianmf - 17 Jun 2010 at 6:47pm
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:24pm

just filled up my 1.5dCi and my Trip reported 53.9, but the brim calc was 48.3 Unhappy - Thought I cracked the magic 50MPG Angry Not too bad for a 400+ mile motorway trip at legal max speeds though - and about 80% better then the 2.0 Petrol RAV4 on same trip Thumbs Up

Brian - spritmonitor thinks you did 393 (413 - 20) not 403km, hence the worse figure Confused

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 2:11pm
Hiya Chaps

Yes as G5 said my MPG was showing as 33.9 on my 2.0 petrol - however when someone worked out my MPG it was ridiculously low - somewhere in the region of 15MPG... It was totally uneconomical for me and I had to get rid of the car.

My  1.5DCi was getting 47 - 48 MPG town driving - I traded it in for a New Megane 1.5Dci - Bad move

My 1.6 petrol is getting 33.9MPG (Must be something about the number) - On motorway driving is 42MPG, however my mileage is high (12.5K in 8 months ) and again the petrol costs are prohibitive so I have to change.....again

Fee x
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 2:52pm
Thanks for the info Fiona. There is always a big difference in consumption between petrol and diesel engines of the same size but when the official 'urban driving' figure for the 2.0l petrol says 10.6l/100km (26.65mpg) it suggests that's about the worst you should expect. So far, with a few motorway journeys, the best we are seeing is 12l/100km (23.54mpg). I plan to make a few longer trips before deciding what action to take but this is certainly a big disappointment.
Shane View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 7:46pm

Beige

Edited by Shane - 04 Sep 2010 at 3:57pm
Cafe Latte
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 8:38pm

I already mentioned it to the dealer and he said there is not much that he could do with regards to fuel consumption, particularly as general performance seems to be fine.
My wife is out today on a longer trip so it will be interesting to see what the computer is showing when she gets home.

On my 2.0 petrol it was showing on the trip meter as 33.9MPG - however , someone on the site worked it out for me at roughly 15MPG, fuel consumption was APPALLING

My current 1.6 petrol is showing the same 33.9MPG - spooky, same reading, but is really quite accurate.

Fee x
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 8:40pm
Hi Shane. Pleased to hear yours is doing well. Ours has full options with glass roof, leather seats and 4WD transmission so is carrying more weight, which could make some difference but not that much. My wife went on another motorway trip today and the overall average since the last reset is now 12l/100 (23.54mpg).
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 10:57pm
Our barbeque in Calais went very well today with beautiful weather and 27 deg. C. The QQ behaved impeccably on the mainly motorway 500km return trip. It really handles very well but I have learnt to not use the 'resume' switch on cruise control because, if you have to brake even briefly and drop just 5kph, 'resume' causes a burst of 5500rpm and a noise like a jet fighter taking off. Better to gently accelerate back to cruise speed and then 'resume'.
When we set off this morning, the computer showed 11.5l/100km and it gradually dropped to 10.4 by the time we got back home. Still only an average of 21.76mpg. I also notice that, at a steady 120kph (with cruise control) on the flat, the computer indicates 7.5l/100km (37.66mpg), which is pretty good. So, there is still hope.

Edited by brianmf - 26 Jun 2010 at 10:58pm
Shane View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2010 at 11:03pm

Beige

Edited by Shane - 04 Sep 2010 at 3:57pm
Cafe Latte
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:26am
Actually did a 'brim to brim' check to the meet and back.  368 miles nearly all at between 50 (through Mway roadworks and A roads) and 80 Embarrassed.  Got a figure of 33.22 mpg.  That's with A/C on, 4WD in Auto, not using cruise control and not driving for maximum economy.  Computer currently reads average 32.9 so factoring in a bit of town driving that's probably quite accurate
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 10:33pm
Having now refueled, following the Calais trip and a couple of 15km trips, it seems that my last tankfull averaged 9.66l/100km (29.24mpg). Mind you, that was mostly at 120kph.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 9:39am
It,s getting better BrianThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 1:23pm
As you can see from my baseline, the consumption figure is getting worse. This is a disaster of significant proportions - 23.35mpg is awful for a 2.0l engine even in town driving conditions. The central bar seems to be off the scale even with the lightest acceleration and only drops when I take my foot off the pedal.
I've tried using manual gear changes but that doesn't help.
The situation isn't helped by the fact that the Belgian government has introduced taxation to penalise owners of engines above 1.8l. The annual road tax on my QQ is €336 plus €476 first registration (every new owner, even second-hand) so, £676 just to put the vehicle on the road plus £1000 fully comprehensive insurance with maximum no claims bonus.
It would be interesting to know how these costs compare with the UK.
I love my QQ in most respects but the awful fuel consumption on top of these other fixed costs is telling me I've made a big mistake. Unfortunately, the taxes are also having a devastating efect on the second-hand market. Woe is meCry.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 3:51pm
Something wrong i think brian cos we get around 30mpg on ours and its a 2L,CVT +2 4wdErmm
Check this forum link and at the time we were all getting good mpg figures.

Edited by mohawk - 18 Jul 2010 at 4:11pm
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2010 at 11:02pm
As a former vehicle and engine laboratory manager (in the days before engine management systems), I know a fair bit about fuel economy measurement. Consequently, I am surprised that the best achieved so far was 9.67l/100km (29.21mpg) on a 500km round trip (all motorway). That was using cruise control and airco but, with only one passenger. I think I need to talk to Nissan about this.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:26am

The situation isn't helped by the fact that the Belgian government has introduced taxation to penalise owners of engines above 1.8l. The annual road tax on my QQ is €336 plus €476 first registration (every new owner, even second-hand) so, £676 just to put the vehicle on the road plus £1000 fully comprehensive insurance with maximum no claims bonus.
It would be interesting to know how these costs compare with the UK.

Hi Brian

• First registration (new cars only) is £55 
  • Annual VED for mine (same as yours) is now £235
  • My insurance (fully comprehensive, maximum and protected no-claims, mild business use) is £272 p/a

You will have to do the € conversions, but looks like we get off lightly on those Shocked.  Fuel duty and VAT on fuel tends to total around 80% of currently £1.18 per litre.

HTH

Edited by G5 BOY - 19 Jul 2010 at 9:27am
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:41am
As I expected, G5Boy. Belgium is very heavy on direct taxation and has a 'tradition' of high insurance premiums dating back to the pre speed limit days of BIG accidents. Driving standards are still quite poor here but let's not go on about that.
Standard pump price for 95RON is currently €1.311 (£1.09) so at least we do better in that respect.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:45am
I'm on my way now mate for a cheap tankful and some frites with mayo Tongue
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:14am
Yummy!
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 11:57am
Well just over three months of ownership now and the QQ +2 litre petrol engine is doing well. The MPG is up to 31 now. The mileage is close to 3000 and no probs. The ride is smooth and the engine is nice n quiet too. So at the moment everything is good.
 Click to get more. 

brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 12:09pm
It's a dream to drive but mine is just drinking fuel. I guess you're doing more regular long trips than me Mohawk. Most of my trips are within 10 miles of home and with frequent stops at traffic lights or junctions. Consequently, I'm still only getting 23mpg and have just reached 2000km (1250 miles).
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 12:36pm
I don't really expect it to get much better as it's a +2 and its got the 4WD so it's heavier . I'm doing more mileage now, as before with town driving the mpg was about 25 mpg. You need to do about 200 miles on a motorway before you see the mpg start to go up. I haven't reset the the mpg reading on the car so that's what it is doing from new so it has taken into account all types of driving. In the normal size QQ 2litre 4WD i did find it took quite a while for the mpg to rise until we drove on  400 mile round trip and then it was in the high 30's mpg. I do a 140 mile round trip once a week now so that has helped.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic