FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club
Thanks to our sponsor for their support

2wd or 4wd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2wd or 4wd
    Posted: 16 May 2011 at 1:55pm
Hi im looking at changing my freelander 2 for a qashqai, the dealer says that i would be fine in a 2wd but im sure that the 4wd would be a better option, please correct me if im wrong but you can override the 4wd and run in just 2wd if you want to?
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
CTR Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:41pm
welcome floydfan , if your username refers to pink floyd your not alone on here

as far as i know the 4 wheel drive only kicks in when you lose traction and gets disabled at over 30mph but im sure one of the 4x4 owners can be more precise
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade, Detailer (CTR Detailing), AFMC, ACWC,SAC , Now a 2013 1.5dci Tekna in arctic white with stone leather interior :)
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 4:53pm
There are 3 setting. 2WD, Auto, FWD.
When Auto Mode is selected the on board computer selects the power to send to the wheels that are slipping. You can drive in the Auto mode all the time as it is not a constant FWD.
The FWD setting is mainly for off road, slippery conditions and snow. As Craig says it is disabled when you get up to 25-30 mph.  
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 5:26pm
Hi & welcome floydfan  Thumbs Up
Breenger View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:26pm
Welcome aboard, Floydfan, happy motoring. Thumbs Up
Acenta 1.5 Nightshade.

Worlds biggest Eagles fan.
Kashmir View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Daaahhhling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 8:44pm
Hi Floydfan !! Welcome !! Welcome !!! I have the 4wd QQ - very pleased with it Clap
Tapir: Acenta 2l petrol 4wd faded denim left drive from 20/09/2010 to 18/11/2013
Beetroot: Acenta 1.5dci magnetic red steering on the wrong .. oh wait ..right hand side from 28/05/2014
floydfan View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:12pm
All sorted 2l 4wd Tekna in Gunmetal Gray ordered should be with me mid September Smile shan't miss the freelander, the QQ is much quieter and seems a lot better put together.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:14pm
It's a pretty broad question as to whether you ought to get a 4x4, or not. Of course this largely depends on your intended use of the car, your driving style and other factors specific to you and your circumstances.

A few general observations about the 4x4 on the Qashqai might help you choose. It works well enough. As has been said It has 3 modes - 2WD, AUTO and LOCK.  In 2WD drive the car is essentially FWD until a tyre slips, when that happens the 4WD is engaged and the rear wheels help out, In AUTO mode the car is in 4WD all the time, And attempts to "vector" torque to whatever wheel slips - if none slip then I think it's probably something like a 80/20 split - but that's speculation on my part and based soley on what most "full time" road car 4WD systems seem to do. In LOCK mode all the wheels turn together - like a conventional 4x4 system with the Diff Locks engaged none of the wheels car turn faster than the others, so they can't spin individually. In this mode it seems to be able to drive over anything. If you exceed certain conditions (eg exceed 30mph road speed,or use too much steering lock) then the LOCK mode returns to AUTO automatically.

Subjectively the car seems to be marginally slower when I drive in AUTO mode, which is backed up by heavier fuel consumption and is what you'd expect to see if you're spinning all that extra metal. So what I tend to do is leave it in 2WD mode unless I have a reason to expect slipping wheels, such as heavy rain or poor road surfaces when I put it into AUTO mode. Only when i'm driving on unmade roads or snow and ice do I bother with LOCK mode - which is exactly what the manual suggests you do with the ALLMODE System.

Unlike many 4x4 systems it is possible to swap between 2WD and AUTO at any speed. Some people say that it doesn't make any difference over a certain speed as the car will always be FWD at speed, and I don't know if that's true or not.  Certainly over (say) 50mph the car's ESP system is perhaps likely to be a bigger help than a 4x4 system but the performance and economy penalties seems to stay if you keep the car in AUTO mode at motorway speeds - so i'm guessing it still does something even at higher speeds.

Personally I think it's excellent. It offers a reasonable compromise for whatever conditions you use it in, it's unobtrusive, easy to use and works exceptionally well in all driving conditions. It made all the difference in this year's snowy weather & i'm very glad I got it. I'd recommend you do, too. But that's easy for me to say because I don't have to pay for it and I do enough driving on crappy roads to justify it. Whether you think you can extract sufficient value from the system to justify it's additional purchase, maintenance and fuel cost is something you really have to decide for yourself.

Edited by 2Fat2Bald - 16 May 2011 at 9:17pm
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:15pm
What colour interior then Big smile
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by floydfan floydfan wrote:

All sorted 2l 4wd Tekna in Gunmetal Gray ordered should be with me mid September Smile shan't miss the freelander, the QQ is much quieter and seems a lot better put together.

You'll love it, especially compared to the Freelander. It's a far better road car, and only moderately less capable off road. They look good in gunmetal grey, too. I love the Tekna spec. I ended up buying an ntec in the end, so I could afford an automatic gearbox for my Partner. Personally I hate automatic gearboxes with a Passion & would prefer to have had the leather seats any day of the week.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:25pm
Is it petrol or dieselErmm
floydfan View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:34pm
Its a diesel Clap wouldn't consider petrol not enough low down torque
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 9:48pm

Oddly enough, what you've ordered it pretty much what i'd order if I were buying a QQ today. I'd skip the direfull automatic gearbox and buy a manual 2.0 diesel.

floydfan View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:37am
I have gone for a Manual as the Freelander is an auto and its awfull!
tonycigar View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 2:20pm
Manual all the way
welcome floydfan good choices made
Tony.c
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic