UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Advice - About to buy a QQ!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice - About to buy a QQ!
    Posted: 02áJaná2019 at 5:45pm
Hi all, 

This is my first post here, as i'm (95% sure) about to buy my first QQ! It's a long over due purchase, and I'll be replacing a 06 Micra my Grandfather gave me. 

I have a couple of questions, before I sign the dotted line and commit on this car - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811292837875?logcode=visc&fromSA=true 

Firstly, and most importantly, can you reassure me a little? I love the car, but have read some reports that they are not the most reliable! As I'm buying at 3 years old, I'm planning on getting an extended warranty, but would really like the car to last as long as possible before needed to be replaced. The reports have scared me a little, and I'm hoping that the vast majority of users have no major issues that you wouldn't expect and that the negative online reviews just attract people who have been unlucky? 

Secondly, does that look like a good deal in the above? On top of that i've been quoted ú399 for the protection pack (I think maybe i could get cheaper elsewhere?), and ú599 for a 36 month warranty (seems a good price, but i suspect the coverage will be very basic and can be beaten online?), as well as ú249 for 36 month tyre and allow protection (again, i'm unsure on the value of this).

Any advice greatly received - it's the first time ever I'm buying a car after my having 'hand me down's before!   

Thanks
gloucester View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áJaná2019 at 7:48pm
I traded my car in - slightly older than this but slightly less miles and much higher spec, in June 2018 for ú12,000. It went up on the forecourt (of a Suzuki garage) at ú14,650 but took a whole three months to sell (it was marked sold when I had the three month service done on the Ignis).

Autotrader reckon "yours" to be a "great price" though. Looks good and very standard in the photos.

The main thing with the 12 engine is to see if it's noisy at all - there's a lot been written on here regarding the problems some people have had. I didn't have those problems but felt I couldn't hang onto mine without an extended warranty and the Nissan ones I was quoted were MUCH more expensive:

Copied in from elsewhere my quotes:

For my 1.2DigT Tekna on 19,500 miles the quote was starting 29/06/2018:

One year/80,000 - ú377
Two years/100,000 - ú747 (that's an extra ú370)
Three years/125,000 - ú1207 (that's an extra ú460)

You'd need to read the warranty carefully to see what it would cover - people are being quoted around ú8,500 for a new engine.

Mine at three years also needed a new AC condensor, a steering column bush and a new alloy (owing to corrosion) - around ú800 covered by warranty. It had previously had a new battery - under warranty. On delivery I also had three wheels changed since the damaged ones on the car weren't the same as the ones in the photographs!

You'll probably find the sat-nav car well out of date - mine was 2013!

I refused the protection pack, the GAP insurance, the small dent insurance, the paintwork protection and the interior protection, all of which they added to the invoice without asking me first. I also refused to pay the delivery charge (199) since it was a secondhand car at their dealership! They couldn't sell me the alloys protection owing to the fact that the Tekna's wheels are ineligible.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 - sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 ~ 2018 Yamaha MT-07 on order
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áJaná2019 at 7:59pm

Edited by gloucester - 02áJaná2019 at 8:00pm
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 - sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 ~ 2018 Yamaha MT-07 on order
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áJaná2019 at 8:01pm
LiamBoater View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áJaná2019 at 6:24pm

Thanks Gloucester, really useful info there. If we do go ahead, i'll definitely be taking out some sort of extended warranty and it seems the dealership option could be a good price if it covers everything we need.

I'll have a good listen to the 1.2 engine, before going ahead too. Is there anything specifically I should listen for? I'm assuming i just want a smooth sounding constant noise, with no knocks etc, but I'm not 100% what to listen for!

The QQ is definitely my preferred of this mid-sized SUV, in terms of appearance over say a 3008 or Captur, plus in terms of what you get for your money compared to a VW Tigun or Kia Sportage (plus them on looks too). I am now starting to think of maybe going for a Sportage to overcome the reliability concerns. Obviously i'd have the balance of the 7 year warranty - it wouldn't be a huge deal in terms of the cost if that extended warranty is fairly cheap and covers what i need it to, but more that Kia obviously seem confident in their cars ability to last that long, and longer, whereas I would be quite worried that I'd buy a QQ, only for the engine to need replacing just after my warranty expires and so I'd be left with a pretty much worthless car in say 3.5 years! I would rather the QQ but I'm just worried that I might regret it further down the line now.

Could you link to more info on the engine problems (on the forum or elsewhere)? Just so I can do a bit more reading around it, get better understanding, and try to work out whether it's a 5% chance or a 50/50 gamble? I wouldn't be too sure of what to search for!

Thanks again,
James
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áJaná2019 at 6:38pm
Check out other topics on here using the search facility - it's a rattly noise and high oil consumption.

I'm having trouble finding topics here but there's this one - http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/new-engine-required_topic19218.html?KW=1%2E2

However there's a 60 page topic here - https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2780

See also https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7274&p=61228 - the video's been removed but the technical bulletin is there.

Edited by gloucester - 03áJaná2019 at 6:38pm
LiamBoater View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiamBoater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áJaná2019 at 5:11pm
Thanks once again Gloucester, really much appreciated. I'm about 30 pages into the 60 page thread, and have learnt a lot, although so far, it hasn't made the judgement call much eaiser! 

I asked the dealer for the VIN number and it is SJNFEAJ11U1595678 - so not part of the series listed on the technical bulletin. Is it likely that the VINs listed on the technical notice will be comprehensive, or could it well be that i find the same issue on 'my' potential car, despite it not being within those listed?

Cheers!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áJaná2019 at 8:23pm
Well it's obviously good news. Mine was in the affected range but not affected. It also wasn't losing any oil between services which was a good sign - though I only do 5000 a year. But still that's a low oil usage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic