UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > J10 Equipment, Extras, Add Ons and Aftersales
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Ambient Light
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Ambient Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Ambient Light
    Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 11:47am
Hi, I recently decided to fit a OEM Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror to my 360.  My car is on a 3yr lease/purchase agreement so I had to be sure nothing would be damaged or irreversible before undertaking the work.   Hopefully this summary will be of some assistance to anyone thinking of doing a similar thing in the future.

Thanks to the help of 'Downtime' the whole process was free of any headaches and was really quite straight forward.  The entire process can also be easily reversed with the original mirror back in place without effecting anything (like warranty).

It works really well at night and the orange ambient light around the gear stick/centre console area adds a touch of class to the interior when it's dark (imo).

Finding the parts:

Mirror
First of all I searched the web for the mirror.  Ideally I wanted an original mirror with the ambient light underneath that lights up your centre console area, and once again, thanks to Downtime, I managed to purchase one on Ebay from a 'breaker' in Germany called Klassen KFZ-Demontage.  They also have an Ebay shop.  The mirror was from a 2008 Tekna.  They provide the original vehicle's chassis no. in their sales details which is extremely useful in sourcing any additional parts. 

Black Plastic Trim surround (Part No.'s 26328 and 96328A)
The mirror didn't come with the 2 part black trim surround which is different to the standard mirror surround.  This was sourced from Glyn Hopkin's parts dept who were most helpful in finding the correct two parts.

Rain sensor
Although the rain sensor is in close proximity to the mirror, this exercise doesn't affect the rain sensor.  It is completely separate from the rear view mirror assembly and has it's own power source.

Electrical Parts
4 meters of wire (I went for a simple twin power low voltage 10amp rated affair from Maplins)
Male/Female insulated crimp terminal bullet connectors (to connect the mirror wires to your length of cable.  You may prefer to use a different method of connection, there are many options).
In-line piggyback fuse connector (This allows you to plug the mirror straight into the fuse box - no messing) - I got mine from AcesDVD along with one of their auto mirror kits, but you can buy these individually for a few pounds off ebay.

Fitting:

Well first of all obviously make sure everything electrical is switched off and the key is out of the ignition.

The original/standard mirror was an all in one part.  The whole thing (inc. the black trim behind it) comes away from it's mounting point by pushing it upwards towards the roof.  It's a tight fit and may need some "encouragement" so be careful when it finally wriggles free from what can only be described as a metal nodule which is stuck to the windscreen.

The Auto Dimming mirror has exactly the same fixing and can be fixed onto the pre-mentioned "nodule" in the same way until it's nice and tight and you're happy it won't go anywhere!

The black trim simply clips onto the metal subframe.  No screws required or anything fiddly to worry about.

Wiring

There were two small wires coming from this particular mirror (others may vary).  WHITE was POSITIVE / BLACK was NEGATIVE.  I discovered the polarities using a tiny square 9v battery, attaching the wires and holding my finger over the light sensor at the back of the mirror to see if the mirror went dark.  (Downtime's idea - the guy is a genius).

I removed the original grey connector as there was little chance of finding a male part that would fit. 
I used the bullet crimp connectors to attach the 4m length of cable which I simply pushed up above the headlining (initially via the small cutout for the rain sensor wire) and then ran down the A-pillar to the fuse box. 

The A-pillar trim was secured by 1 "popper" at the top and then kind of just pulls away and up.  I referred to the recently published online Haynes manual which said "start at the top" (which I did and it pretty much just fell away.  
There was already a cable running down the A pillar with some proper clips so I added my cable to it as well to keep it all nice and tidy. 

I crimped on the piggyback fuse to the live wire and inserted a 5Amp fuse.  I used the fuse marked Heater/Air Con which was a 10Amp and piggybacked onto it.  I chose this one as it's something that switches on and off with the ignition (not live all the time like the fuse box items along the middle row).  Also, I believe (please correct me if i'm wrong) that the piggyback fuse connector is only rated up to a max of 10A as well.

I then found some metal framework near the fuse box which appeared to connect the dash to the car body and used it as a grounding point for the negative wire.

I'm really happy with the way it turned out as I missed not having the auto-dim feature that I was used to on my previous car.  And a big thanks to 'Downtime' for all your help!

The above is merely an overview of how I chose to fit the mirror.  It's not an official guide of any kind, so always do your research and weigh up the risks before removing any parts peeps. Thumbs Up

THE END

Edited by 1206butler - 06†Nov†2013 at 3:43pm
2013(63)|360|+2|1.6dCi,s/s|Mag Red|Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror|Folding Mirror Kit|Flip Key|Boot Buddy|Saunders W94 Mesh Dog Guard
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 12:09pm
Congrats through here also for a job well done.

Looks very good and a very good guide. :)

Edited by Downtime - 06†Nov†2013 at 12:09pm
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 1:56pm
Excellent report.

Looks brilliant.

Job well done.

Al. Thumbs Up
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 5:41pm
A very comprehensive guide Thumbs Up

To moderators - May I suggest that a new forum section is set up titled 'Step-By-Step Guides'?
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 6:16pm
This has been a great guide. Just one question - do you think it would be possible to tap into the power supply cable for the rain sensor and hook up the mirror to this rather than leading it down to the fuse box ie. use existing wiring that is already up on the windscreen?
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Nov†2013 at 6:47pm
Probably would be a good idea to post it here also:

2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†Nov†2013 at 5:25am
Originally posted by PaulJ PaulJ wrote:

This has been a great guide. Just one question - do you think it would be possible to tap into the power supply cable for the rain sensor and hook up the mirror to this rather than leading it down to the fuse box ie. use existing wiring that is already up on the windscreen?

I would not tap into rain sensor. It will most likely make the rain sensor operate a little erratic.

Glass roof cover controls should be fine though. But believe me, it's a very simple job to take the wire all the way to the fuse box. Really it's a matter of 10 minute job.
1206butler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†Nov†2013 at 6:32am
As per Downtimes response above..

Edited by 1206butler - 07†Nov†2013 at 6:38am
2013(63)|360|+2|1.6dCi,s/s|Mag Red|Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror|Folding Mirror Kit|Flip Key|Boot Buddy|Saunders W94 Mesh Dog Guard
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Mar†2014 at 5:54am
Another mirror available from the same seller in Germany as yours came from.

See :

Only 7 hours left.

Edited by Downtime - 21†Mar†2014 at 5:54am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Mar†2014 at 2:59pm
About £100, same price that I paid.  They were very speedy and efficient (as you'd expect) AND they threw in a surprise free bar of Swiss chocolate to celebrate with after it had been fitted Approve
nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14†Feb†2017 at 3:14pm
Hello.

I have purchased a auto dimming mirror.

I will follow your guide, which is very helpful.

I  just want to ask, instead of running the wire all the way to the fuse box, can I take the live feed from the switch for the panoramic sunroof as its right next to it, this only works when the ignition is on.

your comments will be very helpful.

Edited by nitromax - 14†Feb†2017 at 3:15pm
1.2 N-Tec + DIG-T CVT 2016, Gun metal Grey; Bonnet Struts, Mud Flaps, Thinkware F770 Dash cam, Cellink B Battery,fold mirrors, Auto closing windows, Door Sill guards, Safego 72w H11 LED Headlight Kit.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14†Feb†2017 at 3:33pm
Hi Nitromax, glad you found the guide helpful. 

That option was suggested to me at the time, however, I chose to go with the piggyback fuse connector simply because i'm not confident with messing with electrics and it seemed to be the safer option and completely reversible.  (Your idea may also be reversible).

Being a lease car I was nervous about taking off panels and changing things too much in fear of "opening up a can of worms" and voiding warranties etc..

At the time I was reliably informed that linking to the sunroof switch should (in theory) also work and it makes some sense as, like you mentioned, it's very close to the mirror.  If my memory serves me correctly, I looked into that option, but people were having conflicting opinions regarding voltages and amps and other electrical language I didn't understand, so I chose to go with the fuse blade connector.

Whichever option you decide upon, best of luck with it.  It was a big improvement IMO as the mirror that came with the car seemed cheap and nasty.

I live in the USA now.  They don't do the Qashqai over here.  I miss my Qashqai! :-)

nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14†Feb†2017 at 3:40pm
Hi 1206butler.

thanks for your quick replay, i will take the safe option and run it to fuse box, shouldn't be that hard.

many thanks,

I thought the Rogue was the Qashqai in the US.
1.2 N-Tec + DIG-T CVT 2016, Gun metal Grey; Bonnet Struts, Mud Flaps, Thinkware F770 Dash cam, Cellink B Battery,fold mirrors, Auto closing windows, Door Sill guards, Safego 72w H11 LED Headlight Kit.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14†Feb†2017 at 4:19pm
So it is! lol  Good have sworn the Rogue looked radically different when we first moved (about 2.5 yrs ago).  Looks virtually the same now though except for some subtle differences with the rear end and fog lights. They've also moved the steering wheel to the wrong side! ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic