Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Auto-Module DRL install

Post Reply Post Reply
cantfindausername View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto-Module DRL install
    Posted: 03áAprá2016 at 6:06pm
Today I finally went about installing the DRL kit that was recommended to me by the board member podwin (his thread:

I went a different route with my install due to engine bay layout differences. 

My install is sitting on top of the glovebox, completely out of sight. I have yet to decide on where I want the valet button. There is plenty of space to mount it in the glovebox, or I may just leave it in the box I originally mounted it in, tucked under the glovebox. 

The main difficulty I found was feeding the wires through the grommet in the firewall to behind the glovebox. I used a metal skewer with the wires taped to it to push through and then pull from inside the car. The rest of the install, while long winded, was straight forward and could be done relatively quickly if you're well prepared/work quicker/less meticulous.

Points to note: 
1) Piggyback fuse holders are used for the High Beam connections and IGN +ve in the fuse box in the engine bay. The IGN +ve is actually taken from the ABS ECU fuse. 
2) The unlock signal uses the orange wire in the drivers footwell. This would be identified if you've done the auto mirror kit and can be patched on to the same wire. 
3) Navigation light source can be taken from plenty of places. I took mine from the centre console 4wd selector switch.
4) Having some spare conduit (from a scrappy) makes the install look a lot more stock in the engine bay.
5) You'll need 4x 10A mini fuses (not 3 as pictured below)
6) I found that planning the wiring with a drawing made the process a lot easier.

Preparing the additional wiring parts: 3x piggyback fuses, 1 x waterproof mini fuse holder, 9 crimps, 2 x scotch locks, 2 x ring connectors, 4x 10A mini fuses, heat shrink 

Hole drilled in the corner of the fuse box with conduit fed through:

Conduit running under the airbag to the firewall grommet:

Wires coming through the firewall grommet:

Waterproof mini fuse holder secured in place:

Blue scotch lock feeding the unlock signal:

Navigation light feed taken from centre console 4wd switch:

Mounting plate made up of an old number plate and painted matt black. Countersunk screws glued underneath:

Double sided stick pads secure the base plate to the glovebox housing, then the module is secured (the wires were all tidied after this shot as the install was finalised):

Edited by cantfindausername - 07áAprá2016 at 9:21am
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic