UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.5 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Better MPG with 1.5dci DPF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fellsteruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Better MPG with 1.5dci DPF
    Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 8:07pm
Hi all,

Bored and thought i would share....

Had an 07 1.5dci and according to the trip computer i was getting about 42MPG however i only every got about 560/580miles on a full tank... 

My new 1.5dci with DPF is recording an MPG of 44 and i managed to get a range of 630miles on a full tank a worse a 50 miles more at best 90 miles more...

I have to say i was worried after reading stuff on here about the newer 1.5 however i am very, very happy with my MPG and performance feels the same... 

Stephen 

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 11:11pm
Bored Stephen???
No disgruntled TT Customers to shout at?? LOL

Sounds like a good result for you then - I'm still aiming for that 42 on mine...... Unhappy
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
w1zzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1zzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 7:30am
Originally posted by fellsteruk fellsteruk wrote:

Hi all,

Bored and thought i would share....

Had an 07 1.5dci and according to the trip computer i was getting about 42MPG however i only every got about 560/580miles on a full tank... 

My new 1.5dci with DPF is recording an MPG of 44 and i managed to get a range of 630miles on a full tank a worse a 50 miles more at best 90 miles more...

I have to say i was worried after reading stuff on here about the newer 1.5 however i am very, very happy with my MPG and performance feels the same... 

Stephen 
I too think the MPG is better on my 61 plate n-tec 1.5dci. getting about 300 per half tank. Also the car runs faster and smoother that the 1.5dci 58plate accenta I had
paulyoung666 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyoung666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:44am
driving like miss daisy i reckon i could get 580 / tank , and that is 95% A road journeys keeping the speed down to 65 mph most of the time , driving it like it should be driven i reckon i get about 540 / tank , to be honest its not worth going slowly LOL
Ink Blue 2016 Tekna 1.5dci , loving it
nige65 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nige65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 10:29am
Well ive done 660 miles since picking up QQ in november and ready to fill it up for the 3 rd time getting around 30.9 not been able to take it a run can only drive short distance at the moment after my op.  

Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 12:37pm
I can say categorically that my miles per tank is decreased from my old 08 plate 1.5DCi pre DPF

I was getting nearly 700 miles to a tank

With this new DPF model - i am managing average 580 - sometimes 600......

2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 4:21pm
Always been a bit lead footed, however on this new 1.5dci the computer said 40mpg for 1st month.It has slowly climbed to 42.5 as the engine loosens up and I try to ease back on the pedal a bit Thumbs Up-teaching a rather old dog Embarrasseda new trick as they say.
n-tec FLASH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n-tec FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 4:30pm
how fast are you driving to get 630 from a full tank,i drive around 65/80/53mph i have done 328mls and its showing half tank left
rabbin8 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 4:50pm
Work and back mines doing 44 mpg. Did a run to Brackley last weekend using M6/M42/M40. Set the cruise on 70 and had clear runs both ways, all it would do is 50 mpg. Maybe get a bit more if I drive like Miss Daisey.Shocked
1.5dci N-TEC Magnetic Red, blue interior LEDs Mudflaps,Wind deflectors,DRLs,Bee sting aerial and Swan neck tow bar for Elsie Elddis.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n-tec FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 5:56pm
thought would do more with small engine and been a small car (crossover)as car had before was a 57 plate mondeo mk4 1.8tdci and that was giving me 44mpg motorway 58
nige65 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nige65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:44pm
Think they put a v8 in mine the diesel it uses LOL

Applauso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
NO STRESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Applauso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 10:38am
I have a 2.0DCI 10 plate. just got 62mpg on a 125 mile run. BARGAIN!!
1.6 Tekna Gun metallic
Tovarish View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tovarish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 7:33pm

I had to drive to a meeting in Folkestone today and given the recent discussions regarding MPG I thought i'd conduct a little experiment and economy test

The building in Folkestone I had to go to is 78 miles from my house and I was driving straight there and back by motorway.
Driving there this morning I put the cruise control at 70 and drove there, when I arrived the MPG for the trip was 57.6, therefore using 1.354 Gallons of diesel.
Driving back the exact reverse route I set the cruise control at 60 after resetting the MPG display, when I got home the MPG was 65.2, therfore using 1.196 Galons of diesel.
based on the cost of diesel here at £1.42 per litre that makes it £6.46 a Gallon (1.42 x 4.54609)
The trip this morning therefore cost £8.75 (11.2p per mile) and the return trip cost £7.73 (9.9p per mile), a saving of £1.02 over 78 miles (1.3p per mile) for driving 10 mph slower. That represents a 12% financial saving on the return trip over the journey there.
12% or 1.3p per mile makes driving 10mph slower very worth it in my opinion.
White 2014 Qashqai 1.2 Acenta
Grey 2014 Juke 1.5dci Tekna
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n-tec FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm
thats me sold 60mph all the time
fellsteruk View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fellsteruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:37pm
I am shocked at how much difference we are all getting. 

I assure you i am no miss diasy, to be honest the wife is always asking "are you speeding" in the old QQ she couldn't see the speedo in the new one she can :(

I live about 5 mins from junction8 on the M62 and i work about 5mins from junction11 the M62 so its hardly the longest journey into work and almost every other day i dont use the motorway and end up going through town "stopping n starting" 

I stick to the speed limits when in 30s-50s however when on country roads or the motorway i will happily drive as fast as i have to 70/80+

If i was on the motorway and i left it to cruise @75 the mpg would easily be 60+

It seems to be a real mixed back with the 1.5dciDPF but i have to say i am very, very pleased with it... I am trying to get the wife to come to paris with me in the QQ, will be really interesting to see what MPG i get.

Edited by fellsteruk - 23 Feb 2012 at 9:38pm

Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Tovarish Tovarish wrote:

I had to drive to a meeting in Folkestone today and given the recent discussions regarding MPG I thought i'd conduct a little experiment and economy test

The building in Folkestone I had to go to is 78 miles from my house and I was driving straight there and back by motorway.
Driving there this morning I put the cruise control at 70 and drove there, when I arrived the MPG for the trip was 57.6, therefore using 1.354 Gallons of diesel.
Driving back the exact reverse route I set the cruise control at 60 after resetting the MPG display, when I got home the MPG was 65.2, therfore using 1.196 Galons of diesel.
based on the cost of diesel here at £1.42 per litre that makes it £6.46 a Gallon (1.42 x 4.54609)
The trip this morning therefore cost £8.75 (11.2p per mile) and the return trip cost £7.73 (9.9p per mile), a saving of £1.02 over 78 miles (1.3p per mile) for driving 10 mph slower. That represents a 12% financial saving on the return trip over the journey there.
12% or 1.3p per mile makes driving 10mph slower very worth it in my opinion.
Did you check the topography of the route?  Really this sort of test should be done there and back at 70. Then again there and back at 60.  I went to Banbury this weekend 44.7mpg on the way out without paying attention to the speed. 62.6 mpg on the way back sticking between 60 and 70.  But I know full well the first 1/2/ of the journey back was downhill, the last half is just a case of keeping the foot off the accelerator so the average mpg didn't drop too much.  It dropped from 68.4mpg (about 45 mins into journey) to the final figure.
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Applauso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
NO STRESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Applauso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:50am
It's not all about how fast/slow you drive but also about anticipating the traffic in front of you, Breaking, freewheeling (in gear of course), accelerating etc. I find 60MPH is the best speed to get the highest MPG. Speeding down the motorway just to save 15 minutes, WHY??? You have to ask yourself. I'm no Vicar and generally drive normal without worrying about MPG but sometimes I like to see just how frugal she can be. When I fist got her I managed 72mpg once but have never managed it since.
1.6 Tekna Gun metallic
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:37pm
Well..I would say some of the UK motorways are long enough to save hours rather than minutes, a 300 mile journey takes 1.25 hours less to cover the distance at avg.80 rather than avg.60.  But yes your right driving style will have a heavy influence on MPG.
Ecce Signum View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Doth glance from heaven to earth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecce Signum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:03pm
but cowpers sir, you can't use avg.80 and UK motorways in the same sentence ;)

And yes, as has been mentioned more than once the driving 'style' is a big contributor to MPG. I don't use cruise control as you can't feather the throttle to stay with the flow of traffic and end up having to break or accelerate to match the traffic.
Would you call a drunkard who works at an upholstery shop a recovering alcoholic?.
g-man View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
Here's a bit more data: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/RealMpg/Results?manufacturer=nissan

It doesn't say how many people have contributed so not sure how reliable the figures are, however, there's some interesting info on how the official figures are calculated at the end of the page.
2012 Qashqai+2 1.6dci stop/start N-tec+ in Mineral Grey
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Cowpers Cowpers wrote:

Did you check the topography of the route?  Really this sort of test should be done there and back at 70. Then again there and back at 60.  I went to Banbury this weekend 44.7mpg on the way out without paying attention to the speed. 62.6 mpg on the way back sticking between 60 and 70.  But I know full well the first 1/2/ of the journey back was downhill, the last half is just a case of keeping the foot off the accelerator so the average mpg didn't drop too much.  It dropped from 68.4mpg (about 45 mins into journey) to the final figure.

Just an update on this, I did the same route last weekend on the way to Telford.  This time I did stick to 60-65mph on the way up.  I was holding steady at 59.3mpg compared to 44.7mpg for the same journey.  So running along at 60mph really does make a huge difference to mpg!  It just depends how much you value your time?
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
Thats easy for me..... do the maths

Time             My Time   
Money   X  Outlaws Time   = Peace and harmony for me and an extra coffee and burger en route

LOL

Will certainlt be doing 65 on the next journey!!

2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Tovarish View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tovarish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 10:33pm
yep i wouldn't always do it as i may need to get there quick but if i have time it's 60 all the way for me now
White 2014 Qashqai 1.2 Acenta
Grey 2014 Juke 1.5dci Tekna
lee73 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 4:18pm

I have only just got my QQ and I am averaging about 44mpg round town, compared to my last car which only averaged 20mpg, I am absolutely happy as hell, even on a run I got about 65ish mpg and in my last car it was 28mpg.

So I won't complain about it to much if the MPG goes up or down by a couple. Happy DaysLOL
2009 1.5 DCI Visia,Connect System,Side Bars,Fog Bezels,Grill Surround,Blue Int Lights.
Barryboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 7:46am
I have a 2009 1.5dci manual and always top up the tank when I fill up, which is usually once every two weeks. I am averaging 48 MPG in the winter and between 50 and 51 in the warmer weather.  My last car was a Mercedes C200 diesel auto which averaged about 33 MPG overall, so I am getting a 50% improvement in MPG - not to be sneered at, eh? It's true that it's not as nice a drive as the Mercedes but the QQ is not a £30K car.

My only gripe with the QQ is that I would like a bit more 'off the line' performance - joining a traffic flow is less of a gamble if you have good acceleration and I am seriously considering a looking at a remap to see if it is possible to increase the performance a little without  jeopardising the very pleasing fuel consumption.   Any thoughts, please?

Rob 
Machines were mice and men were lions, once upon a time.... now it's just the opposite - it's twice upon a time
F1 Bob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F1 Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 8:38am
Currently averaging 53 mpg on last two fill ups with our new 2014 1.5. Overall its 51 mpg over the last 6500 miles. Performance and torque seem very good for such a heavy car so maybe they have tweaked the engine for the new model?
Tekna 1.5dCi in Nightshade
QQ+2burgher View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQ+2burgher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:55am
33mpg from a Mercedes C200 Diesel? was there something wrong with it? the last time I got those figures from a diesel I was driving a big 4x4! the 2l petrol would do about 33mpg.
Me personally, I would not remap the engine management, the small gain you would get with performance would be to the cost of your MPG.
I have the QQ+2 with the 1.5DCi, the last time I drove a car this big it was a Vauxhall Frontera with the 2.5 Isuzu TDI up front (bullet proof engine lousy car) had the performance but about 33mpg.

Bottom line, live with the performance and adjust your driving style or switch to the 2.0DCI

PS calculate the MPG using what you fill the car up with and the mileage covered, I find the indicated MPG is low on my trip computer.
2011 1.5 DCI Acenta in Gun Metallic Grey...or is it Mineral Grey?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic