FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club
Thanks to our sponsor for their support

Bird POO!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird POO!!!!!!!
    Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:10am
Our lovely new car has about 4 big splats on it.... Grrrrrrr air rifle time I think.

I'm going to place a soaking wet cloths to soften it, then blast it off, then use some detailing spray.

My question, what's the best protective coating to try and minimise paint damage?  is there any special wax product that would help?  I know wax protects, but has anyone found  something to beat bird carp damage.?
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:15am

I reckon putting it in the Garage is a good idea LOLLOL.... Hamish,CF or QQ will answer this question when they come on....Thumbs Up...But in the mean time a Funny for you while you Ponder the issue....Wink

Rather apt i'd say!!! for where I work anyway....LOL

Edited by Affman - 11 Mar 2011 at 9:16am
2.0ntec+2, Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:17am
Ha Ha very good!
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:21am
Unfortunately Tiff, there is no magic elixir that prevents paint damage from bird bombs. A good carnuba wax will give more protection as this forms a hard barrier. But bird bombs are very acidic (pH  3.5 to 4.5). 

To remove soak the bomb in detailing spray first to soften it. Bug and tar remover is also very good to soften and remove it. It's wise jsut to keep a bottle of each in the car with a MF cloth.

If there is permanent damage then a polish msut be used to remove the etched marks. then a good carnuba wax over the top.
Affman View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:28am

This Man knows everything !!!! You could charge for your Knowledge Ian.....LOL

2.0ntec+2, Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:29am
Got Maguires DS in the boot, don't I need to blast it off after softening? .... as we all know birdy poop if full of grit. 

Off to buy some good wax.
Thanks hamish
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
Not neccessarily - unless it's really dried on. Soak and leave to work for a little while then a warm soapy solution and carefully outside in to remove it. If not in a poistion to use warm soapy water, then bug and tar remover is the next best thing as this contains oils in suspension.

I'm saying this more as a practical measure because it would be impractical to get the jet wash out each time a bird plops on your car.

Edited by hamish - 11 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:42am

i keep the ultimate quick detailer and a couple mf's in the boot for this reason.. might need to get some bug and tar remover though...

oh hamish you ever tried the AG bird dropping wipes? it says you lay it over said droppings and it softens them then you just wipe it off.. and it neutralises the acid in it..
im thinking its just baby wipes soaked in detailer spray
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:43am
I gotcha.Thumbs Up

It's been baked on in the morning sun, so this time I'll soak and blast it off... but it's good to know what to do if I catch them before they dry.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:44am

the good thing so far for me is i have only found bird droppings three times so far.. all three were on the glass roof.. so no paint etching

hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 9:48am
...heard of them, but on a windy day!!!??

Detailing spray and bug and tar remover do a good job of softening.

The other good thing to keep - it's jsut a small bottle and can be bought anywhere is sticky stuff. That is really good stuff to remove bird plop - it is essentially bug and tar remover but with more oils < that will help if you are out and get bird bombed instead of waiting till you get home/next morning....

There is no need to neutralise if removing - and to be honest, nothing is going to neutralise that quick - especially in a wipe if you think about it.

Edited by hamish - 11 Mar 2011 at 9:50am
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 10:20am
thought it was all marketing lol.. glad i wasnt suckered so far.

sticky stuff?? eh... whats that? is it like a glue remover im guessing.. where is "anywhere" lol will i get it in tesco?
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 10:44am
Two things to remember:

Birds eat berries and fruit that contain the acid that causes the etching.

Birds also eat small grit which aids their digestion. This is what causes the scratches just in case the acid hasn't done a good enough job!

As all the other members have said,  soak well and rinse off as soon as possible..

One extra point; use someone else's car to park for a week or two at the airport.

Must agree that Meguiars Ultimate Detailer regularly applied is good as the plops tend not to stick so well.

If they could remove the grit they could bottle the stuff as a super glue.
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 10:48am
....could be worse...

This is what you need:

PS: I understand that no birds were injured during the making of these clips.

Edited by allan40alt - 11 Mar 2011 at 10:52am
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
Tiffany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 11:02am
 Just gone out to throw wet cloths on the poo, jeepers there's another 2 ... if it's not bird poo it's cat scratches Grrrrrrr

Years ago we had a white car, flippin heck you sure knew when those pesky birds had eaten berries.  I could have changed my name to Barbie.

Thanks for the giggle allan
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 4:14pm

allan, that first video was gross, second one, ford got in trouble for them adverts lol they only ran a couple times got lots of complaints and had to be pulled.

theres one with a cat aswell isnt there? and the sunroof opens and closes on it.
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 4:37pm
regarding bird bombs i spent a week in bridlington ,they have the most incontinent seagulls on earth;; ,car wash every day think they eat cement .need a hard hat ..poor stig lives in filey just out of brid ..so he gets the bird cra-p all the time ..in halifax instead of shooting pidgeons they built a massive bird house near the bus station and laced the food with the bird version of the pill ,so they would be firing blanks ..should make a difference in about 2 hundred years ,,wheras a bullet :::::
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:07pm
A bird shat on  my car once, finished with her not long after that..................
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. To ERR is human - To ARR is pirate.
the stig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:30pm

yep i get it everyday i wish i could sell the stuff i would be loadedLOL

60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
the stig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Some Say, Others Don't!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the stig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ericos ericos wrote:

A bird shat on  my car once, finished with her not long after that..................
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
60 reg QQ 1.5 n-tec ""as of 18.11.13i'm now an ex qashqai owner but i will still keep popping in from time to time to see if i can be of help""
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
LOL
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 8:01pm
If I was into puns I could have said I "dumped" her Big smile
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. To ERR is human - To ARR is pirate.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2011 at 8:19pm
ericos..

stig mate. they certainly like that bit of your car.. 3 there!! move your car about a foot forward... they might just miss

strange that.. always see bird cr*p on cars.. rarely see it on the pavement just next to them.. i think the little ***** aim for them!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic