UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > Nissan Qashqai J10 Engine Range > 1.5 L K9K I4 (diesel)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

black residue inside exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black residue inside exhaust
    Posted: 08áMayá2013 at 8:05pm
Hi chaps,
I thought I'd run a fuel injector cleaner through my 1.5dci as I discovered the previous owner was an "older lady" who lived in the middle of nowhere.  Probably never ever revved it high, so likely to be a good carbon build up in the exhaust etc.

A couple of days ago, 200 miles after putting the cleaner in (Millers Diesel Eco Max), a LOT of black gunk shot out the back when I revved it high.   It's not done it again since, and I swear the car is now running much better and quieter than it has since I got it 4 months ago.

As a test, I have been cleaning the inside of the exhaust tail pipe daily.  Got it nice and spotless, but still after a couple of miles just to work, there's a think black film that reappears if I run my finger around.    Seems to be getting less dirty on a daily basis.

My question - will the 1.5dci  (pre DPF) ever run "clean", i.e. once you have a shiny exhaust tip it stays shiny, or is it a fact of life even a couple of miles will get a black residue over  the inside of it.
Any volunteers to clean their pipes, then run their fingers around the inside after a few miles so I have a comparison .

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMayá2013 at 10:10pm
I've got the 2.0 DCI - it runs clean. Amazingly so, actually.
MACQQ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMayá2013 at 11:33pm
All deisels run a certain amount of "black" exhaust (although u can't see it by eye) even with DPF fitted.
Tekna 2012 1.5dci 2wd
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áMayá2013 at 12:12am
It will be black on a pre dpf 1.5, mine is, its the nature of diesel, though as you say how it is driven will make a difference to how how much. DPFs were fitted to catch all this crap hence their exhausts will be much cleaner.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áMayá2013 at 9:55am
And of course as someone has just pointed out to me, if I've only cleaned the first inch or two that I can reach with my finger, a bit of the black crud just further up the pipe is just going to trickle down every time the car is fired up and the hot moist exhaust runs past it.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áMayá2013 at 1:19pm
Just stuck my finger up a mates exhaust (oo-err missus).  It's not a QQ, but it's a diesel with DPF and only 2 years old - and it came out much blacker than mine was!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic