Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bubbling & Flaking Alloy Wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubbling & Flaking Alloy Wheel
    Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:00pm
Hi All,

On giving my QQ it's first wash today, I noticed that one of my alloy wheels has kind of bubbled-up and flaked a bit.....never seen this sort of thing before - should this happen and will it be accepted as a fault by Nissan and repaired/replaced when I put the car in for a service next month.

My QQ is just (3 days!) over 3 years old and will be having it's 3rd service if that helps.

Any advice most welcome - does it just need reconditioning/repairing or is something more fundamental wrong here?

Thanks
Used to own 57-plate 2.0dCi Acenta 4WD in Flame Red

Did have a 1.6dCi Tekna CVT in Ink Blue on order in 2014 but got cancelled.....

I miss my QQ and may be back in a few years
Standandtan View Drop Down
Dealership
Dealership

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Standandtan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:19pm
Hi Chucky,

Speak with your dealer asap, this should not be happening.

You might not be able to get anything as you are now out of warranty, but all nissan dealers should be able to get you some goodwill gesture, if not covering the cost of getting them refurbed all together.

Any more questions let me know.
Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dCi N-Tec In white + 18" Alloys. PROUD NSAC    
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 7:31pm
Thank you - I'll give them a call tomorrow

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 1:30pm
Been reported here before and replaced under warranty.  Hopefully yes they will do it as a goodwill gesture.  Mention the forum/club - over 2000 members etc. - Nissan are aware of it - might help - sometimes does Wink.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:05pm
Thanks G5 BOY

I'm booked in for 8.30am tomorrow so will let you know how it goes

s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 2:08pm
see if your bodywork warranty covers it - I know it says body work but you dont get if you dont ask!!
Now the onwer of a Cayman Blue 2010 Model 2.0dci Tekna QQ Blue Led's and orange sill plates!
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 6:33pm
Thanks s30jok, I'll keep that in mind too

Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 10:18am
Took it in this morning. One of the guys (graham) came out and took some pictures. He said if it was under warranty the 2 wheels would be replaced, but he'd see what he could do. Think I may nowget them refurbished. Just got to wait for a call back now

SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm

This is a common fault with Japanese cars (including those not built in Japan!). †They don't have the same level of protection against salt as European cars, and it gets under the laquer and bubbles up.

I had all 4 wheels replaced on my Toyota RAV4 about 1 month before the 3 year warranty was up (waited specially to get new wheels as late as possible†Smile ) as the extended warranty didn't cover. †The Lexus's have exactly the same issues.

Always worth getting a car meticulously checked over as it approaches its 3rd birthday as any extended warranty is never as complete as the initial one.

Halmer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 11:01am
Just noticed that one of my fronts ones is doing the same Ouch

I've already had both fronts replaced within 12 months of new. Got a feeling that the warranty is only twelve months on alloys but I'll ask anyway when it goes in for service next week.

H
57 plate Acenta in Faded Denim Petrol 1.6 with ESP!
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 11:13pm
Good news - they called back today and have agreed to refurb the 2 wheels for me for free. Only downside is it means no QQ for 4 days in this weather! Goes in on 6th Dec.

Decided to get 3rd service done there at the same time, as its nearly due.

Happy thus far with my first dealer-contact...certainly beats ANY Ford dealer contact I ever experienced....god they were rank...

Halmer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 6:45pm
I would have thought they should replace never mind refurb them.

Replaced mine today only three days after reporting it.
57 plate Acenta in Faded Denim Petrol 1.6 with ESP!
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 7:25pm
I'm out of warranty, so just happy that they are sorting it at no cost to me, to be honest

Nightshade View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2010 at 7:51pm
Good, I'm glad they are doing it for you Chucky, good idea to get it serviced as well. All over and done with before Xmas.

Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 11:12am
Well I took Chucky7 in this morning and have the joys of driving a Note for this week...hope the snow holds off LOL

SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:25pm
doing that work for free when out of warranty is a good result. †Found yourself a decent dealer there†Thumbs Up
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 5:39pm
Got chucky back this evening - whhels sorted and M3 service completed - £289 for the M3 service for thos of yet yet to reach this.

Clean bill of health, other than the rear shock bushes are both split. Without me even asking, they are replacing these under goodwill next Friday

Have to say I'm hugely impressed with Evans Halshaw Sunderland and would be happy to recommend to any of you North East members

Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:43pm
On checking the wheels today for the first time properly in the light it looks like they have done all 4...what a result and great customer service...so chuffed

hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 7:15pm
Great news chucky - is that the one on Wessy Way?
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 7:28pm
Yes hamish it is; can't praise them enough

HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 8:36pm
Not all dealers are bad, that good to hear.  Thumbs Up
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 3:12pm
New pair of rear shocks supplied and fitted under goodwill today and what an amazing difference.

One very happy Evans Halshaw Sunderland customer

Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 5:24pm
Nice to hear twinny looking smart with the new wheels and running smooth with the new shockers
Ex owner of Acenta 1.6 Flame red, with Panoramic roof.
Turbotroll View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbotroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:00pm
Good result!  I bought my QQ from them and I have yet to experience their aftersales but being the closest dealership to NMUK, I would expect their customer service to be top notch.
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:58pm
Thanks guys, can only recommend them turbo, faultless service upto now.

Merry xmas to the twin Bowler....

Sarah View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 8:36pm
Hi I was wondering if you could help iv got what looks like frost/liquid burn on my alloy my cars a 66 plate.. Iím thinking this is kinda still a newish car for it to be done down to age! 

Any help would be great full 
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 3:04pm
As mentioned above, the first point of contact is the dealer.  Have you had the car from new?
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic