Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Car Alarm Sounding At Night Only

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Alarm Sounding At Night Only
    Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:05am
Well I've been a regular contributor to this forum for over 7 years now as a QQ owner, spouting how reliable my car has been.  So it is with some disappointment and frustration that I must now declare that the car is keeping me and my neighbours awake at night.

My car alarm is sounding about 2/3 times a night for no apparent reason.  On a calm night at around 1am I have stood next to the car and watched the alarm sound.....I'll unlock/lock the car to switch alarm off, only for it to go off again only 2 mins later. 

All windows are closed, there is no wind to move the car and I'm confident there are no mice running around inside (my wife's suggestion!!).

The only thing that comes to mind is that it only occurs at night when the air is moist/damp, so possibly a short circuit being caused by moisture somewhere.

No point me going to the garage as the fault is intermittent and they will only conduct basic diagnostics to say - no fault found....that will be £££ please.

The manual hasn't got a lot to say for itself other than to show the process to switch off the internal volumetric sensor.  I've done that this morning so I'll see how that affects things.

I've searched the forum for previous postings, and whilst there have been reported similar problems, the OP has not updated the thread to say how their problem was fixed. 

Thanks for reading this far, so will close by asking if anyone knows the following:

1.  Where is the volumetric sensor fitted. Can this be just taped over if found to be at fault?
2.  Where is the alarm siren located?  I would isolate this as a last resort if problem continues.
3.  Any other suggestions?

Cheers All and sleep well Cry  

Edited by Doug999 - 04 Aug 2018 at 10:05am
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 11:33am
Today I've stripped out the 4 door and bonnet switches and given them a good blow of WD40 to disperse any moisture.  Couldn't find any boot switch so was wondering whether it is an integral part of the locking mechanism.

I sat in the car whilst a family member locked me in.  The alarm sounded as I moved around inside which suggested the 'volumetric sensor' was active.  Bit of a worry as I thought I disabled it last night.

With the bonnet open and alarm sounding, I noticed the siren was not located in the engine bay. The sound seemed to come from the back end of the car.

More Questions:
1.  Where is the boot switch located?
2.  When following the process to isolate the 'volumetric sensor', does it remain off permanently?  Or does the process have to be repeated each time when exiting the car?

Fingers crossed the WD40 has sorted things.  Shocked   

Edited by Doug999 - 04 Aug 2018 at 11:34am
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:11pm
Had a look on YouTube for some inspiration and found a video titled "QQ Alarm". Great I thought, this may have the answer.  The video comprised of a blue QQ 15 plate with the alarm sounding, and the owner just walking round the car filming it.  That was it.....no reason why it was sounding or if it was fixed.....pointless video really.  Anyone on this forum going to claim ownership? Confused

I did however find a US made video where a similar problem was caused by a defective boot switch. The recommendation being to flood the mechanism with WD40.  

Its been a hot day today and my poor car smells of WD40.  The overnight forecast is hot and humid so will see if my alarm is still a problem.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:09am
It went off again last night........HELP!!  AngryAngry
MorkfromOrk View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorkfromOrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

1. Where is the volumetric sensor fitted. Can this be just taped over if found to be at fault?
2.† Where is the alarm siren located?† I would isolate this as a last resort if problem continues.
3.† Any other suggestions?

Cheers All and sleep well†Cry

Hi Doug,

The volumetric sensor on my QQ is in a module fitted between the front interior lights and the rear view mirror, not sure if tape would work, probably best to take off the cover and disconnect the plug.

I've looked in the Haynes manual and they're showing a warning buzzer behind the front bumper but as you say it sounds like it's coming from the rear

The boot switch is built into the tailgate lock, loose connector?

I've checked the manual and the volumetric sensor is only off until until the alarm is disarmed again so you'll have to do it every time

I hope this helps so you can get some sleep tonight.
2007 Qashqai Tekna 2lt petrol awd,piaa horns,mirror kit, window kit, mudflaps.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by MorkfromOrk MorkfromOrk wrote:

Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

1. Where is the volumetric sensor fitted. Can this be just taped over if found to be at fault?
2.  Where is the alarm siren located?  I would isolate this as a last resort if problem continues.
3.  Any other suggestions?

Cheers All and sleep well Cry  

Hi Doug,

The volumetric sensor on my QQ is in a module fitted between the front interior lights and the rear view mirror, not sure if tape would work, probably best to take off the cover and disconnect the plug.

I've looked in the Haynes manual and they're showing a warning buzzer behind the front bumper but as you say it sounds like it's coming from the rear

The boot switch is built into the tailgate lock, loose connector?

I've checked the manual and the volumetric sensor is only off until until the alarm is disarmed again so you'll have to do it every time

I hope this helps so you can get some sleep tonight.

Thanks Mork,
I've given the car a good clean today with no sign of any moths setting up home. But I'm reasonably confident that something is buzzing around inside the car when dark.  Most bugs only have a short lifespan so hopefully it will eventually stop.

Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 5:29pm
The alarm went off again last night AngryAngry
I've now removed the connector plugs to the 2 x sensors fitted in the light cluster above the rear view mirror.
Fingers crossed again !!
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 6:42pm
When I read this, I'm glad, that cars aren't sold by default with an alarm system in Germany.

You live in Wales - in an area where an alarm system is urgently needed?

(You live on an island - every nicked car has to be exported via a harbour. OTOH, a car nicked in Germany is in Poland or Russia "in no time" ... - just musing ....)
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
greenkit View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenkit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 10:56pm
I'd avoid WD40 on switch contacts as it leaves an oily deposit, use a proper contact cleaner if possible. I had a problem with my bonnet switch showing about 20 Ohms instead of a short circuit when 'closed': the symptom in my case was that a continuous tone was emitted for the 20 seconds or so before the alarm set. I suspect that someone had squirted the switch previously, judging by its generally oily condition after dismantling. No more problems after a good clean and a rebuild. Maybe double check all your mechanical switches with a multimeter, just in case?
J1mmy_86 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J1mmy_86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:39pm
Hello Doug. 

Sorry to being up an old thread. Been having same alarm sounding every couple of hours over night. Did you ever come to a conclusion of the problem?

Regards
James
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 5:33pm
Hi James
I disconnected the sensor connectors and left it at that.  Just couldn't fathom it out and was not prepared to hand it over to Nissan to diagnose an intermittent fault.
My daughter has the car whilst I now have an X-Trail.
Doug 
zh875 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zh875 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 2:51pm
I had a similar problem on a Toyota Avensis.  That problem was caused by the back up batteries in the alarm module (The ones that sound the alarm even if thieves disconnect the car battery) had leaked. DIsmantling the alarm sounder module and cleaning it out and fitting new rechargeable batteries resolved it.

May be of no use on a QQ
J1mmy_86 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J1mmy_86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 2:53pm
Thanks guys for your help will see what happens and go from there I guess
Ajp3012 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajp3012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:23am
Hi James,

I am suffering with the same problem for the last couple of nights. Did you try disconnect the volumetric alarm and did it fix it?

Thank you 🙏
J1mmy_86 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J1mmy_86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:44pm
Hello

At this time I have not. I had a deep clean through my car and hoovered every nook and cranny. I then sat in the car at night with the light on to see if there were any moths about and flushed them out. I have not had anything yet but I have this as a back up I case it happens again. 
Lmsunshine87 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lmsunshine87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:52pm
I've been having this problem too over the last 3 days.. However, the alarm sounds during the day too. It's really becoming annoying and I've no idea how to fix it. I have closed all windows and air vents. No luck yet but I'm sure it is more complex than this from reading previous comments
J1mmy_86 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J1mmy_86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 7:59pm
I feel your pain. My neighbour also has a QQ on our estate and they are having the same problem. I donít know enough other than what people have said on the forums with the different options. If you have tried the obvious, it really only leaves unplugging the internal sensors and Going from there. 

PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 1:44pm
I have just seen this one, and oddly enough the same issue has happened to me in my 370z and is being reported by many on the 370z forum.

There all sorts of reasons and theories including 5G!

However the "fix" if appropriate is to disconnect any third party items such as car cams.

Lock and re lock, unlock re connect each device one at a time lock unlock and repeat until each has been re connected lock... and get a good nights sleep!

Hope that helps.
Mainly found at an office chair these days
Lmsunshine87 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lmsunshine87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:55pm
OK so this is what happened, I took my car to the garage and they looked over it and when I returned they asked me a rather strange question "do you have pets and do they go under the car", well my answer was yes I have 2 dogs who shed a lot of fur and yes they do go under the car sometimes as my drive is in my back garden. He continued on to show me under the bonnet, the fabric part under the hood which was covered in dog fur on the right side. He said this could be causing the alarm to sound as they are very sensitive.. I was quite shocked actually and relieved that it wasn't a costly job!
So I hoovered the dog fur out and haven't had the alarm sound since.
Thought I'd share this with you all just incase it is something this simple!
Ta
@m@n View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @m@n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 9:50am
I am having same problem from last two nights. Not able to sleep properly because of this.
I am not really sure if it's the "volumetric sensor" which is the problem. But, It didn't happen after I disabled that last night.

Hi Doug999,
Can you please share the instructions to remove the connector plugs to the 2 x sensors fitted in the light cluster above the rear view mirror. Any video which might help?

Hi Lmsunshine87,
Can you please share more details on how to locate this "under the bonnet, the fabric part under the hood which was covered in dog fur on the right side." Any pics?

Thank in advance for your help.

Cheers.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:03pm
As far as I remember, the light cluster easily comes away from the roof lining and the sensors are a simple plug in type connector.  I no longer have the car so cant video it. 
@m@n View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @m@n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:32am
Thanks Doug999. For now I have disabled the sensor manually and no problem observed from past 3 days. I will try to enable that back and see if the problem persists. If It does I will unplug the connectors.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 5:35pm
Thumbs Up
Tom1857 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom1857 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 7:13pm
I had same problem alarm only going off at night,it turned out to be a moth in the car,well they only come out at dark,hope this helps,go out to your car when it goes dark and look inside the car with a tourch trough the window 👍
istacey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:41pm
Ahh!

This has recently started happening to ours too. Disabling the internal sensor with the button appears to stop it, so I suspect moths or something inside.

I did have the bonnet open for the first time in ages the other day, so I wonder if it could be a sensor there.

If I can resolve I'll post my resolution here too.

Mine's on a 15 plate and in the last year its taken a real nose dive with aircon leaking (Nissan replaced pretty much everything for free). The parking sensors are playing up, I think its the well discussed issue of a dodgy rear left speaker. Audio speakers appear to be blown (might be the volume my wife plays music at). The rear camera mounted on the boot lid is intermittent.

Otherwise great car!
StevieBoy5 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StevieBoy5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 7:17am
Hi, did you resolve this? I have a 2018 QQ and this has happened to me over the last 2 nights. Canít see any moths/ insects. So annoying!!!,
Iíve read through the posts but am a little confused?
Any help would be good.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 hours 35 minutes ago at 7:44pm
Never fixed my problem.  I just disconnected the sensors.
istacey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 49 minutes ago at 8:30pm
It just stopped happening, I assume whatever was flying about inside died.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic