UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

car not being used for a few months

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: car not being used for a few months
    Posted: 19áMayá2018 at 10:48pm
hi folks proud owner of a 2013 J10 Qashqai 360 here

it looks like its motorcycle time for the next couple of months, is there anything i should be thinking about to keep the car in good order while not being used

only thing i can think of so far is to maybe disconnect the battery, not sure if there is going to be issues with this when its reconnected after 5 months or would it just be better to take it for a couple of hours drive every Sunday to stop the battery from totally discharging. 

my mate who has a vauxhall something or other said his brakes started juddering after he left it in the driveway for a month unused, turned out the disks pads had left some material on the rotors while stationary this was during the winter though

maybe a pointless post this as im already thinking the couple of hours a week option is best LOL

cheers

Gollum View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMayá2018 at 5:40pm
A couple of hours drive is the best idea, if you leave it stood you will need to
Remove battery (or get a solar panel trickle charger) and brake pads, chock the car and leave the handbrake off (or leave it with no wheels on bricks lol)
And then after the 5 months, put it all back together, change the oil and filter, turn the crank by hand to move the oil around. Check the fuel hasn't gone off and then start it...
Then listen for the usual stiff joints.

So yeah at least take it out for 20 minutes a week
2013 QQ 360 1.5 dci
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áMayá2018 at 11:30am
Do you not need to go shopping occasionally?  Just take the QQ out for that once a week when you need some milk etc!

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
BigMack View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áMayá2018 at 1:49pm
cheers lads

i dont think ive thought this through properly have i it looks like a potential can of worms Wacko storing the car for a while, couple of hours a week it shall be

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áMayá2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Gollum Gollum wrote:

A couple of hours drive is the best idea, if you leave it stood you will need to
Remove battery (or get a solar panel trickle charger) and brake pads, chock the car and leave the handbrake off (or leave it with no wheels on bricks lol)
And then after the 5 months, put it all back together, change the oil and filter, turn the crank by hand to move the oil around. Check the fuel hasn't gone off and then start it...
Then listen for the usual stiff joints.

So yeah at least take it out for 20 minutes a week

The aircon needs to be run for at least 10 minutes a week otherwise all the seals dry out and your gas leaks.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
Gollum View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áMayá2018 at 12:52pm
Thanks Chris. Yes it is good practice to run the air con like that. Though I don't! On a side note you can get a tin off air con sealer from Halfords that oils all the o rings.
2013 QQ 360 1.5 dci
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áMayá2018 at 1:20pm
What everyone else is saying about the air cond .. the smell will be a sod to get rid of as well. I recommend an AA battery charger/maintainer rather than disconnecting the battery You can leave it on.
Tekna DCI 110 1.5 Nightshade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic