UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Car sliding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Jobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car sliding?
    Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 12:23pm
Here's a weird one! As you'll all know, I've had quite a bit of trouble with my QQ since I bought it.

Anyway, moaning aside Clap

Before we got our new wheel bearings fitted my wife was complaining of a feeling that the back end of the car was slippy on the road and felt like it was swinging out to the left on roundabouts or some turns.

I hadn't noticed the problem and had actually gone out of my way to push the QQ around a few roundabouts to see if I could replicate the problem. So we got the wheel bearings done and I thought this would see an end to the issue.

However, over the weekend I was driving from Bury St Edmunds to Soham and noticed the car slide exactly as my wife had described previously. I was going around a roundabout at about 30 mph and suddenly, a quarter way around, the back wheels started to move out! This happened on another roundabout later.

This is an FWD motor, acting like a RWD!! Prior to getting the wheel bearings done we had a tyre check from Kwik-Fit. These tyres are on the car about 8 months or so and Kwik-Fit say that they are fine.

Has anyone else had any slippage from their car? Any ideas on the cause? I very much doubt it's down to a greasy road surface as I've never felt this happen before with the QQ, apart from when we've been in proper snow and no other cars I've seen in front of me had the same issue.
QashQai Lemon: 2.0 dCi Tekna 2WD, Latest of many failures: DPF, seized brake calipers, fuel pipe split, radiator crack, wheel bearing hub failure
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 1:01pm
Never had this problem. Are you happy at going at 30mph round a roundabout? Maybe a solution is to slow down a little!
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 1:22pm
Crikey hon 30mph? My car grips the road very well, I have had big cars for my last 3 cars so after having the CR-V (thease earlier models had a lot off 'roll') drive a lot slower round bends etc, my qq dosnt slide round rounderbouts, I might with the leather seats!
Blade silver 2010 tekna qashqai+2 owned from October2012, as a sort off belated 40th birthday present from hubby,
Steve Jobs View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Jobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by PaulJ PaulJ wrote:

Are you happy at going at 30mph round a roundabout? Maybe a solution is to slow down a little!

Very much so, I've been doing this for years in a Fiat Stilo, an Audi A3 quattro and the QQ. 
But if you want to stay on that high horse looking down at me then fire away.  Wink 

These are very large roundabouts at the end of the exits off the A14, not tiny little roundabouts.

This is a problem that I've never had before and has suddenly appeared so it's far more likely to be an issue with the car. 

If it was an issue I encountered every time I went around this particular roundabout then I'd think that my driving was the issue... 
QashQai Lemon: 2.0 dCi Tekna 2WD, Latest of many failures: DPF, seized brake calipers, fuel pipe split, radiator crack, wheel bearing hub failure
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 1:51pm
How old is QQ and are you the first owner?

Just wondered, as no-one else has reported this and I certainly haven't ever doubted the grip ......................... has it been in a shunt?  If it was a bit bent then crabbing and strange handling can be the result.

Don't want to panic you, but am lost for another explanation Confused.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Steve Jobs View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Jobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 2:03pm
Owned since Feb 2012, no previous crash history and a full service history present and verified.

I'd have thought that a problem like this caused by a shunt would have manifested itself by now, so I very much doubt that's the issue. 

PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 4:03pm
We don't have big roundabouts up here in Scotland!!

Could it be the tyres - what make do you have on at the moment?
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 6:10pm
I have noticed it a couple of times when I drive along my local road which has a slight right hand curve.  There is a shallow pothole which I always drive over at about 25mph.  The car definitely gives the impression of a very small sharp slide or jerk, but I blame the pothole rather than the car.  I think its because the 18" wheels have little rubber to absorb the impact and the shock is felt through the bodywork.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 6:58pm
Are there manhole covers on these roundabouts by any chance? I have noticed the occasional 'step-out' when cornering and 'touching' metal before now...
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
BrummyQQ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrummyQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 7:37pm
What tyres do you have, also was the road wet, may have been grease or diesel on the road
pazza101 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pazza101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 9:03pm
i sling mine around like i did with my st ( ok not as much) but never noticed anything with slipping if im honest thought it held well for a big car
N-Tec+ in grey 62 plate and loving it
notanotherhobby View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notanotherhobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 9:19pm
My QQ appears to "skip" to the left when driving over joints / damaged road surface, and is about the only disconcerting aspect of driving one. Must be something to do with the rear suspension setup surely?
2007 1.5dci Accenta in Faded Denim
2010 1.5dci Facelift N-tec in Nightshade
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áDecá2013 at 9:35pm
Also you said you owned from February 12 but was it the pre-face model or the current model! Was it new for you and a '12'plate or older model, sounds like rear suspension! Shock absorbers? I'm very happy with my continental tyres in all weather, and driving conditions iff that is welcome information also!
Blade silver 2010 tekna qashqai+2 owned from October2012, as a sort off belated 40th birthday present from hubby,
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áDecá2013 at 9:12am
LOLfor big roundabouts in Scotland try the Whirlies in East Kilbride they have more roundabouts than they need!!! Whirlies Roundabout Best known of more than 50 roundabouts in East Kilbride. And for many people the reference point from which everywhere in the town is ..
suspect all the "new towns" were modeled on principals of Milton Keynes so there are a few in Scotland -- but they also seem to stick traffic control lights on them either full or part time.Wink
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áDecá2013 at 10:01am
Is this QQ fitted with ESP? The anti skid system etc?
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áDecá2013 at 6:09pm
Must be honest, its never happened to me.... that said, OH has had it a few times.
I put it down to Speed and/or weather... and it seemed to be the same roundabout.

They're building up there so mud on road maybe - grease from the lorries??
However, it's been doing it more of late so I'm wondering if its the tyres?
Still got a good 4mm+ left on them, but they're 2 years old now. Maybe the Grip has gone from them as they feel "shiny" a little.

Was going to pop to a couple of garages to get advice.

Just thought I'd add it here as its been mentioned.
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áDecá2013 at 9:58pm
I have had similar experience to what you have described in a Renault Megane that I used to own.
I'd had it for years before I noticed that the handling had changed, particularly on bends and roundabouts. The back end would kick out at the slightest bump on bends etc, and on a roundabout near me I ended up doing a 180 one day. I knew it was an issue with the car because I could take the same roundabout, in the same conditions, at higher speeds in our Ford Focus without any problems. I had a few people look at it, including the MOT testers and no one could find a problem with the tyres or suspension.
I had a good look at the shocks myself and on removing them found one had failed (even though it had just passed an MOT)
I replaced them and confident I had solved the problem I went for a test drive, only to do another 180 spin on the same roundabout.
I gave up and traded it in for a little Mazda 2.
I still wonder what the problem was.
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
Craigy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áDecá2013 at 8:01pm
Out of interest, is there a difference between the tread on the front tires to the back? Just wondering if the fronts have more grip making it feel like the back end is stepping out?
N-Tec 2.0Dci 4x4 in Nightshade.
YorkshireMan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áDecá2013 at 1:05am
Hi,
I've been reading this topic with interest & am beginning to wonder if it is something as simple as a 'tyre issue.'
What Craigy suggests might be correct. Do you have a different brand of tyres on the front c/w the back or is the tyre wear significantly different from front to back?
Also, did you start to notice the problem more recently as the weather started to get colder?
Just a couple of thoughts on this problem.
Cheers, Smile
YorkshireMan.
Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
Fozza View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áDecá2013 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by PaulJ PaulJ wrote:

We don't have big roundabouts up here in Scotland!!

Could it be the tyres - what make do you have on at the moment?

We do so have big roundabouts in scotland, Big enough to go round them at 60mph! So stop back tracking
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áOctá2014 at 11:57pm

I'd check the tyre pressures are correct, I had a slow leak on previous cars and when a rear tyre was low the traction was noticeably worse.

It could be over-banding on the roundabout, where a crack was filled by simply filling with tar, these can be very slippery even when moist - heavy morning dew for example.
Diesel spills, metal drain covers, or very gritty areas can also be slippery. 

2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
dwright78 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwright78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áMayá2018 at 4:48pm
Hi mate, I know this post is old, but I have this EXACT issue, did you ever get to the bottom of it, it's scary, and it's actually my wife's car, so she mostly has the kids in there! :( 

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic