UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Changing wheels to smaller size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing wheels to smaller size
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:26pm
Hello, 
I have a 2014 Tekna and we want to change from the 19" wheels to 17" mainly for the comfort aspect and also the cost of replacement tyres.  The present 19" have tyre pressure monitors on and the new wheels won't have them.  I have asked at Nissan if it is possible to disable the TPMS so that the dashboard does not display a fault and they have said not.  I have been quoted £109 each (fitted) on TPM valves which negates any saving on tyres.

My question is - does anyone know if there is any way around this (I understand any faults showing on the system would be an MOT failure).  

Also, if this is not to be an option does anyone have any recommendations on 19" tyres which would give a more comfortable ride than the original Continentals?

Any replies would be appreciated.  Thanks
GelJ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:46pm
I don't believe you'd see noticeable improvement in changing to 17", and there are various alternatives as shown here. Also try reducing your pressures by 2 or 3 pounds, to see if that assists.
http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-45-19
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Undertree Undertree wrote:

....- does anyone know if there is any way around this (I understand any faults showing on the system would be an MOT failure). ...

I don't know about the law(s) in GB - however, in Germany that would be a major offence and the car would loose its operating licence... not fit for partaking in road traffic any more...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Undertree View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 8:37pm
Thanks for the replies. To update this post, I have confirmed with my insurance company that they are happy for me to change the wheels to 17" with no alteration to premium or cover, so no issues there. I just don't really want an error showing all the time for the tpms.
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Why can't you simply put a set of Nissan 17" rims on with TPMS on them? My QQ with 17" rims have TPMS so wouldn't a set of those work on your QQ?
2010 N-Tec 1.5dci Café Latte NOW SOLD!
Proud owner of 2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium, upgrades to follow!! Still lovin' it everyday!
Undertree View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Undertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:44pm
Mainly because Nissan have quoted £109 each for tpms valves. Looking into getting them elsewhere.
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:49pm
What about a breakers? Plenty of QQ's breaking on eBay with 17" wheels on them, bound to be one near you.
2010 N-Tec 1.5dci Café Latte NOW SOLD!
Proud owner of 2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium, upgrades to follow!! Still lovin' it everyday!
MackemBaz1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MackemBaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 3:36pm
Hi all,

Just obtained Qashqai number 7 !!!!!

It is a Tekna, however when I scroll through the menu, I cant find the tyre pressure monitor screen, with the 4 wheel positions on.

According to the owner manual, it is fitted.

Can anyone on here confirm if this is still a feature.
Baz 67 reg Black 1.5 dci Tekna

Qashqai No. 7 !!!
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 4:00pm
It is on the Tekna+ and I don't see why they would have removed it from the Tekna. Check out the spec online.
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:43pm
Go to Settings/Display Settings/Contents Selection and make sure the "Tyre Pressures" box is checked.
MackemBaz1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MackemBaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:20pm
Ok, cheers mate.
Baz 67 reg Black 1.5 dci Tekna

Qashqai No. 7 !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic