Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Clay Baring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clay Baring
    Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:32pm
Washed the car again today and I noticed that there was round rings stain marks acid rain whatever even after foaming and then washing with a decent shampoo cleaning the areas as I washed the stain marks were still there.

The marks are from droplets of rain allowed to dry these are very noticable on a dark coloured car (Nightshade).
So what do I do to get rid of them. Polish after washing then wax or clay bar after washing then polish and wax.
There was bird crap on the bonnet however after foaming this simply disapeared without any marks.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 5:44pm
i tried to clean 2 cars at once recently and left mine a bit too long and ended up getting water marks on it i tried the detailing sprays but they wouldnt shift them i used the machine polisher in the end and they vanished but if you dont have one i would suggest a cutting compound to remove them harry 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 8:52pm
there is certain water marks that cannot be removed by even polishing.. but these are very rare.. 
most are type I water spots.. like soft water, that detailer spray will remove..
then type II which require machine polishing(like CF's)
then type II which stain the clear coat and cannot be 100% removed.. only dulled.
HarryG View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:23pm
Thanks both craigs for the replies.
I think it is a bit drastic having to resort to cutting compound or machine polishing to remove these stains.
All cars that I have owned have never had this problem.

I will have a go at polishing/cutting to see what happens but I think its pretty naff if after a rain spell has been allowed to dry on the car you have to resort to this kind of procedure to get rid of the marks I will need to take the car out only when its sunny and if I do get caught in a rainstorm I will have to dry off imediatelyConfused
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:46pm
Whilst I have heard of these made up names of type 1, type 2...I have yet to hear the meteorological office refer to rain as type 1 or type 2.

"WEATHER WARNING: there will be a type 2 weather front coming in from the east today...owners of dark coloured cars are advised to keep their car undercover for the duration of the storm"

My giddy aunt!!!

Can we have a moratorium on here to get rid of both acronyms and initialisms for the month of April and May. For example...TBM - say what is is for god's sake.

Also, as for type 1,2 or 3 rain, please don't try to decipher. Polish will remove it, or a cleaner wax (Zymol) on an orbutal machine...

Put a coat of good wax on once per month to negate the affects of this horrendus type to and the even rarer type 3 rain.

I demand the bird doing the weather specifies rain type.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:48pm
i wonder if any of the other nightshade owners have had this?

ive not experienced it yet, but i have the black paint and live in a soft water area (although the water hardness should not cause type II spotting usually.. but did for cf)

im wondering if the nightshade is a softer paint? (but i would assume its the same clear coat )
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:50pm
Stoppit, already.
HarryG View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 9:57pm
Im typified
Will have a go at polishing will have to read the instructions though to make sure I get the right type Big smile
I will be getting the grinder out shortly to get rid of the footy mark on the bonnet so I may as well have a go at removing the stains from de rains 
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 10:57pm
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

there is certain water marks that cannot be removed by even polishing.. but these are very rare.. 
most are type I water spots.. like soft water, that detailer spray will remove..
then type II which require machine polishing(like CF's)
then type II which stain the clear coat and cannot be 100% removed.. only dulled.

So are type II's caused by hard water?  Its probably not intended but the mention of soft water implies its worse for marks.  Hard water is the type with high calicium carbonate content (limescale).
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Hans Gruber View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Gruber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

i wonder if any of the other nightshade owners have had this?

ive not experienced it yet, but i have the black paint and live in a soft water area (although the water hardness should not cause type II spotting usually.. but did for cf)

im wondering if the nightshade is a softer paint? (but i would assume its the same clear coat )

I don't have any water marks (hard water area) but I recon the nightshade paint may be softer looking at the chips in the paint on my 5 month old bonnet whilst cleaning it yesterday Cry

Edited by Hans Gruber - 18 Apr 2011 at 9:46am
Ordered 29/06/10, Delivered 23/11/10 1.5dci N-tec, Nightshade, 18",

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 10:59am
hans theres a few chips in mine aswell mate.. its impossible to stop it..
to what ive read the new aston martins are terribly soft paint, and all japanese paints are soft(even if its not built in japan ive been told......) 

cowpers, im not sure im following you ... not for the first time...
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 11:20am
OK I'll try again...

You state type I water spots come from things like soft water.
Soft water has far less ionic material to deposit in the form of spots when drying than hard water.
So if a type of water is going to leave spots its more likely to be Hard water.

So are Type II spots caused by hard water?  Or by something else entirely.?
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 12:15pm
well as far as i was aware type II are caused by rainwater thats high in dust/minerals, but craig, got water spots that had to be removed by polishing while washing, so thats what lead me to believe it is possible from hard water areas like his.

i see what you mean now, yes i did mean that hard water area causes worse water spotting than a soft water area like mine.

the way i was told was. 
Type I - mostly light rain, and not drying when washing..
Type II - very high mineral/dirt rainwater, or rainwater mixing with cement dust(seen this on a porsche on another forum.. no amount of washing would remove)
Type III - things like acid rain..

but craig seems to have got what some people call Type II from washing.

(this post is really gonna annoy hamish )

Edited by CraigQQ - 18 Apr 2011 at 12:15pm
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:36pm
is ice hard water? Wink
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 3:53pm
mine came from hosing down after a snow foam and not drying it , they were really stubborn little gits so after the detailer not even touching them i went straight to the da with a soft finishing pad and some light polish and they came of easily
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:21pm
I was hoping this thread would be about how to clay bar, but there has hardly been a mention despite the title.Confused
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:27pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2011 at 4:33pm
Mo beat me but here it is embedded Thumbs Up

2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic