UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J11 Qashqai 2014 - > J11 Hints, Tips and How To...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Cleaning Cameras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning Cameras
    Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:21am
Back from the garage where they say they cleaned the camera, which remains covered in limescale AngryAnyone got any idea for a safe way of cleaning it please?  I also queried the camera's wash blow dry function which I have never seen work.. the garage explained 'it only does it when it wants to'? Anyone know if you can check it's operation, because it strikes me as a lot of stuff to go wrong, water valve, air compressor?
Tekna DCI110 Nightshade
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
I have used microfibre cloths to clean my cameras....safest option...less likely to scratch...

Wouldn't of thought it could of gathered limescale ? Are you sure it's that ? And not some kind of power polish
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
GelJ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:10pm
Could be limescale if water is from a tap with hard water as source.
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:37pm
I use a little drop if white vinegar in water to clean cameras.
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:43pm
It'll have to be on there for ages and not be cleaned for ages for it to be scale....well not hard scale anyway ..nothing that couldn't be removed if washed properly
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 10:39am
The scale whatever it is is all around the lens, although not quite in the middle so I can still see the camera output, but it doesn't want to budge with water and cloth. Both the dealer and Nissan Service said they had cleaned the camera, but they haven't done any more than I was able to achieve. I'm sure the previous owner using hard water in the washer system for a couple of years is what has gone wrong. Muc Off do a de-ionised water based cleaner which they tell me is safe for any kind of plastic lens, and I might well give the diluted vinegar a go. Interested to see if I could get the auto washer system to do its business, but might have to put some mud on it to see if it works. Thanks for your ideas.

Tekna DCI110 Nightshade
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:38pm
Try lime lite then that'll shift it
passolaman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote passolaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
if you want a cheap extremely effective limescale remover, try tescos limescale remover spray.
its in a spray bottle for about £1.50

2013 (old shape) 1.6 dci tekna 2WD
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:55am
On a similar note, I guess the parking sensors need cleaning too.  This morning my front sensor kept flashing red as though I was very close to something in front, when I was pulling up at lights with nothing in front.

I pulled over and gave the sensors a quick wipe, even though they looked clean, and it was fine again. 
QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 11:00am
White vinegar in water shifted it really well in the end. Why two main dealers couldn't achieve it I've no idea.. well that's a lie..we all know very well! Still haven't seen the self cleaning wash and blow system work on the camera yet. Suspect there's so much to go wrong there.
Tekna DCI110 Nightshade
carlgoss View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlgoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 1:38pm
Several months on and I'm still not aware of this system actually doing anything. I read that in the 2013 Altima that the system only operates when the car is moving at over 18 MPH which would make it difficult to test! The only way (in 2013) to test  was with  WASH ACTIVE on Active Test using CONSULT-III plus? Others have suggested that the tailgate must be closed, and others that they hear the front washer pump running occasionally which is apparently what forces water over the lens. I know I shouldn't concern myself, but nearing the end of warranty you need to be sure everything is working OK don't you?! Can't help thinking the rear camera with air compressor etc would be an expensive piece of kit Cry
Tekna DCI110 Nightshade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic