FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Cleaning/Detailing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
Author
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 4:42pm
I got one for christmas from Halfords but aint used it yet. They have quite a good selection and the prices are good too. See link.

Edited by mohawk - 05 Mar 2010 at 4:44pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
phpowell View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phpowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 8:20pm

I have a karcher, does a fantastic job with surface dirt removal, before cleaning with shampoo and waxing,scrubs up like new

freddie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:16am
whats best stuff to use on the black trim and glass rubbers ?
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:53am
For all your cleaning needs please speak to allan40alt. He has all the right answersThumbs Up

Edited by mohawk - 06 Mar 2010 at 8:54am
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 9:54am
Originally posted by mohawk mohawk wrote:

For all your cleaning needs please speak to allan40alt. He has all the right answersThumbs Up

Can I just add that Meguiars products suit me.  I've experimented with several different waxes and polishes over many years and for cost, ease of use and results I find Meguiars products my favourite.

You may prefer Poorboys, Bilt Hamber (their Auto Balm is great stuff, but hard work, apply at least two applications and you won't need Supagard! Coat all glass surfaces with it as well  http://www.bilthamber.com/autobalm.html ). Other people will swear by Turtle Wax or many of the other products out there.

Waxes and polishes are like wine,  if you like it then it's a good wine. Personally I don't want my dinner spoilt by my wine tasting of hay or grass or tar or petrol.  Other waxes can cost £100 or more a tub: http://www.livevideo.com/video/4F6EAFF09C844F2787E674A1ED91A903/world-s-most-expensive-car-wax.aspx

I want a wax that is easy to apply and buff,  Meguiars suits me fine:  http://meguiars.co.uk/ 

It's what your right arm's for! (Apart from lifting a pint!).Wink

PS: Thanks Mohawk.Big smile

PPS: Special point about pressure washers. Keep the pressure as low as necessary to remove the dirt.  It is very easy (I know!) to force water into a stone chip and lift a coin sized flake of paint off!  Also in the Winter there is a danger of water being forced into small paint cracks/chips which will freeze, expand and cause paint damage. Take it easy.

As with all products: Follow the manufacturers instructions for best results.

Edited by allan40alt - 06 Mar 2010 at 10:09am
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Qashkev View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashkev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 10:16pm

Can anyone recommend the best product to remove tar deposits. I cleaned and polished mine today but noticed along both sides are lots of small tar deposits. I tried a sponge and finger nail but the majority is still clinging on and I dont want to damage the pristine paint work. Cry

Qashqai A Car To Be Proud Of. 1.6 Ntec Blade Silver born 28/10/09 after 1.5dci Acenta ESP Black Born 05/09/07
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 11:46pm
For all grease stains and tar stains/deposits (both on th ecar and on clothing, etc,  I used to use Meltonian Grease and Tar remover (as sold by shoe shops/repairers) until it became unobtainable.  I then moved on to Unipart's tar remover (obtainable from Rover dealers).  Now that has run out, I use paint brush cleaner (the sort that is for oil based paints but is also water-rinseable) - either a proprietary type or Wilkinson's own brand.  Perhaps a quick, light 'brush' over the tar will suffice if it's only just been deposited?  BUT do try a small area FIRST - particularly as you don't want to damage brand new paintwork when removing the tar. 
1.6Tekna, Blade Silver+ESP+SatNav+ MetaSR2Targa parking sensors, .P/X'd Nov 2012 because we just didn't need or use the car to its full potential!
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2010 at 3:59am
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 10:45am
Allan.
Do you get the application pads with the Bilt hamber or do you have to order them separately.Ermm

Edited by mohawk - 16 Apr 2010 at 7:27am
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 8:46am
Ok i got the Meguiars glold class wax, gold class car wash, NXT speed detailer plus Meguiars glass cleaner yesterday also the Turtle wax for wheels. All i need now it the new carLOL 
mcmoomoo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmoomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:28am
Getting mine done tomorrow with paint seal at a steep cost of £349. Looking around on the internet, there are lots of mixed opinions from total rubbish to total brilliance on tefelon based protection. Anybody here got an opinion based on a Qashqai experience?
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by mcmoomoo mcmoomoo wrote:

..............Anybody here got an opinion based on a Qashqai experience?
Yep - get someone else to do it LOL.

Great place near me............
  • do a 5-stage hand jet wash on it in their back yard
  • move it inside for a leather off including all door closures

£7 Tongue

Full valet inside and out and a polish (a treat every 3 months maybe)

£28 Tongue

Me sitting down, reading the car mags and watching 'Dave' on their flat screen, wall-mounted TV

Priceless Wink
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:50pm
SimplesLOL
ctrollen View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctrollen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Yep - get someone else to do it LOL.
(snip) 
Me sitting down, reading the car mags and watching 'Dave' on their flat screen, wall-mounted TV
 Priceless Wink

You are a man after my own heart, G5. Thumbs Up
1.2 DIG-T Acenta Premium, Nightshade
BlackTenka Bill View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackTenka Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:14pm
I gave mine a 2 hr scrub yesterday.
I had bought a new power washer from Halford and spent a while getting the road salt off the bottom of the QQ and wheels. There was muck all the way up the side as well as I think it was last cleaned by me in January.Ouch
It was here I made my mistake. I gave the power washer to my other half who decided to clean the paving where it was parked while I filled a bucket with water. Can you imagine what I came back to?Angry
After a power wash (again) a quick bucket of paint preserver was sloshed on and allowed to dry while I had a cup of tea. Then a chamoise down and a polish with a soft cloth got it looking (almost) brand new again.
The only problem I have is with the front alloys looking slightly stained brown from salt/break dust. Any ideas to get it off and show the front wheels at their very best again?
1.6 Dci Tekna with 4WD to replace two 1.6 petrol Qashqai Tekna's/Metalic Pearl Black/Mats/No Chrome Trims/Black Roof Rails/Born 31 May 2007, 28 May 2009 and 14 September 2013.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:55pm
Yep Turtle wax do a wheel cleaner and also a wax for wheel Bill. Allan40alt told me about  them. I bought some on Saturday but i ain't got my new QQ+2 yet so i ain't tried them. Halfords have it in stockThumbs Up
BlackTenka Bill View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackTenka Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:00pm
Just seen them thanks. Job for the weekend.
1.6 Dci Tekna with 4WD to replace two 1.6 petrol Qashqai Tekna's/Metalic Pearl Black/Mats/No Chrome Trims/Black Roof Rails/Born 31 May 2007, 28 May 2009 and 14 September 2013.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 4:06pm
I was reading that a lot of the hand wash places you can go to, to get your car washed use an acid type mix to remove muck from the wheels but this is cheap stuff that is also used for cleaning concrete. It will react with the alloys and cause damage, so anyone using hand car wash places be warned!!!!!!

Edited by mohawk - 12 Apr 2010 at 4:07pm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:22am
I have been warned Ouch
mcmoomoo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmoomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:53pm
Well, had the paint seal done 2 days ago and although it's early days can heartily recommend it. The teflon coating just makes the paint work slippery (like a nissan salesman Wink) which means dirt won't stick to the car as easily. It should also make it a much quicker, easier job to clean but will report on this when I've cleaned it. They have a 5 year warranty on the work which I'm guessing means they're confident in there product up to 10 years.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 5:55pm
Was it a local company mcmoomoo?Ermm
BrummyDave View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrummyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:18pm

mcmoomoo, please allow me to tell you a cautionary tale about paint sealant treatments. Back in the eighties, when I was a professional Chauffeur, my cars always had to look immaculate - whatever the weather? Many the time I could be seen chamoising water off the car the minute it had stopped raining Geek....but I digress.

My boss, at that time, was the proud owner of a 4.2 Daimler Jag and he decided (independent of my advice) to get a silicone paint sealant treatment - guaranteed for 10 years - at some great cost of £300. Everything seemed fine after the treatment with the car coming back with a showroom gleam. A couple of weeks later and on a sunny day, I was washing the car and I noticed a milky bloom in a large patch on the bonnet. It seemed to be under the clear lacquer layer of the metallic finish and certainly wasn't there before. No amount of polishing could shift it and, to cut a long story short, after almost six months of bitter wrangling with the company that did the treatment, it turned out that they had sealed the paint before thoroughly drying the car thereby sealing moisture under the silicone sealant. Result? Bonnet completely stripped to bare metal and re-sprayed at huge cost to the sealant company and a super critical boss who swore the bonnet never matched the rest of the car and sold it on a few weeks later.

At about the same time, I discovered a product called "Liquid Diamond". This was a silicon based polish that did much the same paint sealing job but at a cost of something like £12 a bottle. The TV add at the time (fronted by Jackie Stewart, I think?) was to polish the bonnet of a car with this Liquid Diamond, then poor oil, sand and petrol onto it and set fire to it. After a quick wash off and chamois, the finish was as gleaming as before! It was very easy to apply - just wipe on, leave to dry and polish off, one panel at a time - and gave a superb finish that was hard as nails and, I swear because the finish was so smooth, gave an extra couple of mph Cool . The recommended polish interval was twice a year but I used the stuff every few days and by the time we got rid of the cars (9 months old, with 100,000 mile on the clock) the paintwork dazzled.

I've never been able to find any of this "Liquid Diamond" again? I have just brought a bottle of Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax on the recommendation of members of this forum but if I could get hold of the original Liquid Diamond I would be well chuffed.

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:53am
mcmoomoo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmoomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 11:31am
Hi Mohawk, it wasn't a local company. You can find them here and a list of all the other companies they work for www.paintsealdirect.com/links.htm 
BrummyDave, the guy who did the treatment was here for over 4 hours and spoke about the importance of having a dry car before he applied the coating - he was extremely professional in every respect. He claimed that supaguard customers are now coming to paint seal in their droves as it's more effective and lasts forever. Benih has used the same company and hasn't written of any complaints either. I have to admit I was in two minds because there are so many bad reviews but I've found this to be tempered with at least one excellent review for every bad. Time will tell but I'm not worried.
BrummyDave View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrummyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 7:17pm

mcmoomoo, I am so glad that you are happy with the treatment. I wasn't trying to put you off in any way - bit late, as you'd already had the job done! - I just wanted to put a bit of a warning up in general.  Sometimes, even the experts can get it wrong...

Mohawk, many thanks for those links. I am delighted that it is still available, though one thing worries me a little with those sellers...it seems very cheap? In the eighties it was around £12 a bottle and OK, I like a bargain as much as the next fellow but £2 odd?? Shocked .  I am a bit wary of buying on-Tinter-net in general so I'll see if I can find a dealer where I can "have it out, face to face" if everything isn't to my liking Thumbs Up. But thanks again for going to the trouble of finding it for me Wink

Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 7:42pm

Allan.
Do you get the application pads with the Bilt hammer or do you have to order them separately.Ermm

Sorry for the delay in responding but my computer crashed big time and needed a new Mother Board.  I took the opportunity to get a bigger hard drive fitted and an upgrade to Windows 7. costly business!!  Just got back online today.

You get the muslin cloths but not the application pad.  I used a Meguiars application pad, well dampened!

You can just use the muslin cloth (dampened for application but dry for buffing). Big smile
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 8:56pm
Thanks Allan. I have decided to go with the meguires gold class wax only. I got the turtle wax for wheels also. I may well get the bilt-hamber too as i ain't got the car yet. Thank's again for all your adviceThumbs Up

Edited by mohawk - 16 Apr 2010 at 7:26am
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 9:09am
i guess today is a good day for all the Scottish members to rush out and wax their cars... unless a trip to B&Q is easier where thay are doing a special offer on hammers, chisels and shovels...
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:33am
Ok ordered the Bilt-hamber lol, what am i like. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure LOL

Edited by mohawk - 16 Apr 2010 at 7:25am
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:38am

Ok ordered the Bilt-hammer lol, what am i like. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure LOL

It's what your right arm's for;  well, that and lifting a pint of the amber nectar!Wink
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by pandjh pandjh wrote:

i guess today is a good day for all the Scottish members to rush out and wax their cars... unless a trip to B&Q is easier where thay are doing a special offer on hammers, chisels and shovels...
Get your drift pandjh - the volcanic ash from Iceland (or Ireland as that numpty Andrew Castle said on GMTV this morning).  What puzzles me is they are saying "its in the upper atmosphere, so no need to worry"............so its never going to settle at all then? Confused.  I was in Sicily in '79 when Etna errupted, so I know what a town covered in ash looks like Shocked - never smoked since LOL.

Edited by G5 BOY - 15 Apr 2010 at 11:32am
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 11:53am
Is this the build up to 2012Ermm
Or shouldn't we be worriedLOL
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 8:50pm
Allan.
Does the Bilt-hamber leave any white residue if i use it on the black outer trim or can i use it on everything. Think i asked you this beforeErmm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:41pm
I used it on everything.  Including all the glass (yes, front screen as well as the sun roof). No white residue.

Apply it very thinly.  Heavy application just means there's more to buff off!

Oh; and do one panel at a time.

As with all things; follow the manufacturers instructions/guide-lines.

Big smile

mcmoomoo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcmoomoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:54pm
Brummydave, no offence taken Smile. Like I said I was in two minds and to be honest I think it costs way too much but I don't have time to wax and clean every 5 mins with 2 and 11/12 kids!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 29>
  Share Topic