Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clunking noise from clutch pedal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clunking noise from clutch pedal
    Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 7:10pm
Recently there's been a clunking noise from the clutch pedal sometimes when I push the pedal in.  I can feel the noise in the pedal, so it seems to be coming from the pedal itself.  I had a look around, and I think it's coming from this black thing, which pushes forward when the clutch is pressed.

Anyone ever had this problem before?  An easy fix, or a sign of something more serious?  There's no problems changing gear or anything, it's just an annoying/worrying sound.

Edited by elyl - 06 Nov 2013 at 8:48am
2009 1.5dci n-tec, black, connect, panoramic roof, automirrors
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 9:55pm
So, it seems like that black plastic thing keeps popping off the metal arm of the pedal.  If I pop it back on, it's fine, but will eventually pop off again and make the noise.
Does anyone know what should be keeping it in place?  Glue, or a clip or something?  Anyone even know what that part is (so I could look all knowledgeable at the garage and not get bumped)?
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2013 at 8:44pm
I had this for ages... mentioned it to the garage (being completely un-knowledgeable) and describing it exactly as you have - a clunking sound!!
They told me what it was, and I honestly can't remember what they said, but was told unless it gets really unbearably annoying, t put up with it. 
I know it was about 120 to fix it.... bizarrely its stopped all on its own now. 

There is a thread somewhere on here about it, and I may have updated it.... 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 2:14pm
120?!  For a clip or something like that?  That doesn't sound right.  I've searched, but can't find the thread, have you got a link to it?
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 11:29pm
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 9:01am
I don't believe it's that, it's a clunk, rather than a click, and it's definitely coming from the part shown, which doesn't really match the description of the switch (I definitely can't twist it 45 degrees, or any degrees for that matter).  I think the switch in that thread might be on the black cable running away from the spring in my picture?

Now I can see what's happening better, perhaps this picture will explain it a little clearer:

(Sorry, I'm colour-blind) The bluish part I've highlighted is the arm of the clutch pedal.  It has a little nodule on it, which the part highlighted yellowish clips over.  The yellow part will come loose and pop off the nodule in the direction shown.  I can pop it back on, it seems to click into place, but 15 mins of driving and it's popped off again.  I'm sure there must be some kind of clip that's fallen off, or bit of rubber or something that should be holding it in place, but I've no idea what.  I'm not even sure what that thing is for.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by elyl elyl wrote:

120?!  For a clip or something like that?  That doesn't sound right.  I've searched, but can't find the thread, have you got a link to it?

Here's my thread: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/topic10820.html , but I'm afraid I didn't update after it had been in and was told not to worry about it unless it gets worse or becomes unbearable. 

I'm on good terms with the Service manager so I'd like to think he wouldn't fob me off. 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:54pm
I can't see anything specifically for the Qashqai, but from looking at pictures of other clutch systems, I believe the yellow part is the clutch master cylinder.  Googling "clutch master cylinder clip", I again can't find anything specifically for the QQ, but I saw this:
which appears to be the same as the part that keeps popping out, although on the QQ that doesn't seem to be a separate part, it's attached to the master cylinder thing.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 6:57pm
And, in fact, this looks like the QQ master cylinder:

You can see the bit on the left side... there must just be a little clip to hold it in place, surely!
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 7:33pm
I'll try and ring my Service man tomorrow for you to confirm what he thought it was.
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 8:35pm
Cool, cheers.
elyl View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2013 at 7:38pm
OK, according to the service manual, the part is the clutch "Master Cylinder Rod End", although it makes no mention of a clip or anything like that.  The illustrations do suggest that it should pop on and off (but obviously not quite as easily as mine).

Does anyone know if there is a part number for a clip, or the rod end itself?  Failing that, I'll give a cable tie a try.
Coach View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2014 at 9:20pm
Elyl how did you get on with this? I've got exactly the same problem now and would be very interested to find out how to "cure" it. Thanks
"Scheme me up, Botty"
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:29am
Bumping this thread as this started happening to mine.  It does pop back on easy enough to stop the click, but stupidly before I'd found the cause I thought it was sticking so sprayed a bit of WD40 around it.

Now the lubrication is making that end bit slide off a bit too easy causing the clicking/popping sound to return quicker.

How can I reverse the lubrication effects of WD40 to make it grip more rather than slide around??

zelda121 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zelda121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:11pm
Does anyone know that the spring next to the clutch is called I need a new one of those ???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic