UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > In Car Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Connect reboots or turns off or loses power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connect reboots or turns off or loses power
    Posted: 29áAprá2016 at 1:16pm
Hi,
I have a 2011 QQ+2 with a a Connect radio/cd/satnav, nothing special about it.

About two month ago it started acting up. Very occasionally the screen would go blank occasionally as if it was told to turn off. This started happening more often, now it will happen every ten minutes. The only way to get the radio to work again is to turn off the ignition. Fine in traffic, not good for A roads and motorways!
Sometimes it restarts completely. Very occasionally it starts up and asks for the security PIN as if it's lost power altogether.
It seems to be slightly worse when listening to the radio, normally I stream podcasts to it from my phone over bluetooth.

I tried a full factory reset, it didn't help.

Nothing's changed, I'm still using the original satnav card it came with so there's been no firmware update at all. The car was given its annual MOT in mid Feb.

I reckon it might be a fuse, I am not sure where that would be. Also, I'd try pulling it out of the dash to clean the connectors at the back in case there's a little corrosion, but I don't know how to remove it either!

But before I go poking, I was wondering if anyone had encounted a fault like this and might proffer some advice.

thanks
Paul
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
boobishabang View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boobishabang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áAprá2016 at 3:50pm
Quite interested in this thread, as there is a Connect on Ebay currently going pretty cheap with similar issues selling as faulty, reading up on another thread here on the forum one guy did loads of tests to find out what was the cause, and it came down to issues with his smartphone (Galaxy s3) and bluetooth sync-ing of all his contacts.

Do you always stream over bluetooth? have you noticed a difference if you put music on USB to play instead?

Maybe try disabling the bluetooth connection completely for a day to see if you are still seeing the fault?

Edited by boobishabang - 29áAprá2016 at 3:52pm
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áAprá2016 at 4:54pm
If I'm not streaming and I use the radio, it's just as bad if not worse. I will try with bluetooth turned off.

The only time I previously had a problem was when I tried letting the Connect download all my contacts, and that killed it badly, and I needed to factory reset it. Now, I don't let it, and it stops asking after a while when I refuse it on my phone.

I really hope it's not a hardware fault. If it is, I would replace it with a basic radio with AUX in. I never use the satnav. I sure would miss the reversing camera though.

Edited by speculatrix - 29áAprá2016 at 4:55pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áAprá2016 at 10:44am
I drove home and it didn't go dead, but I may not have noticed it rebooting. I'll continue to watch the situation.
It must be a new hardware fault, because I've had the car 18 months and this is only a recent thing.
Alan10 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áAprá2016 at 7:11pm
Hi i had this same problem had to have a software update had no problem since 
although i have the j11 model
2014 Premium 1.2 DIG-T Metalic Black
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áAprá2016 at 7:29pm
I made four journeys today, going via a kid's birthday party to the supermarket. The first half an hour, the second and third about 15 minutes, and the return about half an hour.

For the first three legs, bluetooth was off the entire time, and it was fine.

Just before I set off to return, I turned bluetooth back on, let it connect with phone, and tried streaming. Within five minutes it glitched and reset to the radio. My son retuned it, and a few minutes later it glitched again.

So, strange as it seems, bluetooth is causing this. Even though it's never been an issue before.

I'd still like to pull the fuses and remove the unit, to clean all electrical contact in the vague hope that's all it is :-/

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áMayá2016 at 9:43pm
I found the fuses, they're in a little recess covered by a panel next to the driver's right knee, where the OBD2 port is. 
The inside face of the panel has a simple map embossed on the surface, with a one word description of the fuses.

There's two fuses, the lower one feeds the ignition sense to wake up the radio, the other is the always-on power. If you pull out the top one you'll need to put the radio code in afterwards! The fuses are 10A and 15A respectively. Conveniently, there's a sort of tweezer-like tool for pulling fuses out in there.

I checked the fuses and they looked clean and undamaged. Another forum suggests there may be an additional fuse under the bonnet, so I'll check that tomorrow, otherwise I'll pull the Connect out, which seems to require removing the surrounding fascia .

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05áMayá2016 at 7:40pm
It's now apparent that the Connect crashes and mostly restarts when bluetooth is on and I'm listening to the radio, this can happen every five minutes!

If I am streaming audio over bluetooth from my phone to the Connect then it's much more reliable, sometimes not crashing for the entire 25 minute journey home, but less likely for the 30 minute journey to work.

I think my only option is to use a bluetooth receiver plugged into the AUX socket. As it happens, I have one, as I used one in my previous car where I even had to fit an AUX module to the Ford!

qqphil View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qqphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2017 at 7:44pm
I had the same problem with Bluetooth, so I don't use it at all now. My main reason for searching this thread, is as of yesterday my unit crashes over and over usually it ends up dead. On one occasion it required the pin, but it only comes to life again if I leave the car for a good while.
I will be checking the fuses but is there any way of trying an update? Where can I look?
Qashqai 2.0 n-tec DCI Automatic.
Yamaha RD250D.
CCM R30.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2017 at 7:53pm
fortunately my Connect has worked just fine with bluetooth actually disabled, not just unused.

if yours is now badly faulty, then I personally would change to a whole new head unit. If I used my car a lot more, I would consider one of these:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/in-car-receivers-players/xav-ax100

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic