UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Owners questions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

cruise control,braking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cruise control,braking
    Posted: 07áMará2017 at 5:23pm
with all my years experience of driving this may be a stupid question,but here we go.
never been a fan of cruise control even when driving hgv vehicles,consider to be dangerous for various reasons.
in the last 9 months started to do a lot more miles due to daughter living in plymouth and son in army training in pirbright, such a boring ride to plymouth so i thought i would give the cruise control a go.
the question is when set and you need to brake and use the switch on your steering wheel to slow down do the brake lights show,my suspicions are no,therefore making it quite dangerous
any thoughts.
qqvisia,qq360,xtrailntec,now qq tekna,gun metallic,side steps,wind deflectors,mud flaps,nice car.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áMará2017 at 5:28pm
Only when the brake pedal is depressed do the brake light come on.

Slowing down with by decreasing the cruise control setting is not braking, it is gradually slowing down.

In my view this is quite normal and how all cars operate when using this system, I see no issue with it.

Hope this helps.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áMará2017 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by PaulJ PaulJ wrote:

Only when the brake pedal is depressed do the brake light come on.

Slowing down with by decreasing the cruise control setting is not braking, it is gradually slowing down.

In my view this is quite normal and how all cars operate when using this system, I see no issue with it.

Hope this helps.
----------------------------------------------------
quite agree with what you say and is what i thought,but the issue is (bear in mind the same proceedure of taking your foot off the accelarator to slow down).3rd lane on motorway doing 73mph,look in mirror they want to do 75/80 to be in front,either way take foot off pedal if not using cruise control or use switch on steering wheel,who would be responsible for my back end damage when 3rd party claimed there were no brake lights,
just a thought that crossed my mind.
qqvisia,qq360,xtrailntec,now qq tekna,gun metallic,side steps,wind deflectors,mud flaps,nice car.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áMará2017 at 9:08pm
Probably a minefield - let the insurance companies fight it out!
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áMará2017 at 9:17pm
You're not 'braking', just slowing down.  If you get hit from behind when slowing down, the car behind is obviously driving too close.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 11:41am
An interesting point I have used this for moving from 50 to 30 zones...

Ill get at technical comment sent off it might be something to add to the software.
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by PR07HET PR07HET wrote:

An interesting point I have used this for moving from 50 to 30 zones...

Ill get at technical comment sent off it might be something to add to the software.
------------------------------------------------------------------
exactly what i am trying to get at.
when i go to plymouth m5 roadworks can be horrendous i use mine from 70 to 50 zones,unfortunatly the first few 50mph signs does not apply to certain drivers ,probably because they know that the first cameras are a mile or two further on.(thats when the brake lights come into operationLOL).
unfortunatly nowadays you are being forced to drive incorrectly due to the ignorance of other peoples driving.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 3:13pm
Frankly, what's the difference between you lifting the foot from the accelerator or gradually slowing down using the cruise control switch?   

None. Except that the slowing down with the switch might be more smoothly than just lifting the foot.

I do this every morning entering an 80 km/h speed limit zone from a 100 km/h speed limit zone. If anybody is behind me and decides to drive faster than the 80 km/h speed limit he just overtakes when he notices my slowing down and the gap between the cars closing.

Never ever wasted a second thought to that "problem" ...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 3:50pm

I do this every morning entering an 80 km/h speed limit zone from a 100 km/h speed limit zone. If anybody is behind me and decides to drive faster than the 80 km/h speed limit he just overtakes when he notices my slowing down and the gap between the cars closing.

Never ever wasted a second thought to that "problem" ...
[/QUOTE]-------------------------------------------------------you might have a second thought if your in the 3rd lane,where are they going to overtake thenWink
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 7:29pm
Um... why should I slow down in the 3rd lane on the motorway? Confused (Except when a traffic jam ahead...) I usually drive fast in the 3rd lane, no need for slowing down...
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

Um... why should I slow down in the 3rd lane on the motorway? Confused (Except when a traffic jam ahead...) I usually drive fast in the 3rd lane, no need for slowing down...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------i think you have just answered your own question.
QUOTE:except when a traffic jam aheadConfused
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áMará2017 at 9:19pm
Well, ok, but then the following cars ought to slow down also - no need for some blockhead to overtake. IMHO you wonder about a problem which isn't there....
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áMará2017 at 8:38am
If you're worried about car drivers behind not seeing brake lights when you, the driver, are slowing the car down, you, the driver, should lightly touch the brakes instead and re-engage cruise control when you've reached your new desired speed. Its your choice.

I'm not sure why any car maker would want their software to light up the brake lights when the brakes aren't in use.

A better software update would be to recognise heavy braking and rapidly flash the high level brake light as an additional warning.

Edited by pandjh - 09áMará2017 at 8:43am
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áMará2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by pandjh pandjh wrote:

A better software update would be to recognise heavy braking and rapidly flash the high level brake light as an additional warning.

Maybe from August and currently the hazard lights come on in an emergency braking situation (I think ?) 

Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
Trooper View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áMará2017 at 3:51pm
Simple solution, dont use cruise control to slow down use your brakes.Clap If traffic conditions are such that you need to change speed fairly often dont use cruise control at all coz you aint cruisin.

And you should not be in either of the outside lanes on motorway unless over taking.Wink
If it aint broke make it go faster.
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áMará2017 at 10:42am
The problem with flashing hazards Prophet is that everyone wonders why they are flashing and sits there pondering why whereas with brake lights everyone knows why they're lit up - the car is slowing. Flashing hazards do not immediately tell me the car is slowing.

It's an improvement though nonetheless.
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic