UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Knowledge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cruise & Limiter Control erratic gear change @ 30
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Cruise & Limiter Control erratic gear change @ 30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cruise & Limiter Control erratic gear change @ 30
    Posted: 07áOctá2010 at 7:58am
I have a 2.00 Petrol Auto CVT and find that when the cruise or limiter control is set to 30 mph the gears are constantly changing. This is usually on a road were little power is required from the engine. You can drive on the same road without the cruise or limiter and the gear remains constant.

Does anyone else experience this? 

2010 Qashqai Tekna 2.0 CVT Cafe Latte.

HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áOctá2010 at 3:56pm
Need one of the CVT guys to answer that Qashin.  Smile
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áOctá2010 at 4:02pm
I have only used the cruise control once and don't like it as i really want to be in control of the car. It's a bit of  gimmic on our roads as there is heavy traffic where cruise control isn't much of a bonus. I have not found that it affects MPG. I have never used the speed limiter so i can't answer your questionErmm sorry.
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áOctá2010 at 4:08pm
I regularly use both the cruise and limiter and have done on previous cars with out any issue. Perhaps I am in the minority!

PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áOctá2010 at 7:36pm
No, you're not!  Have just returned from a 700 mile round trip to Chester via Herefordshire.  On the way up I used Cruise Control for MOST of the journey!   (M23, M25, M40, M42, M6 and on dual carriageways)  I wouldn't be without it; but I'm really used to it! had it on my last 5 cars now.
Never had speed limiter before; works OK mostly - although tonight it didn't keep car at 40 whilst going down a steep 1 in 5( ish) hill near here.
1.6Tekna, Blade Silver+ESP+SatNav+ MetaSR2Targa parking sensors, .P/X'd Nov 2012 because we just didn't need or use the car to its full potential!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áOctá2010 at 10:39pm
Going downhill has that effect on most cars as gravity makes them go faster no matter what speed you have set it at.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áOctá2010 at 11:47am
Hi Qashin - sorry I've only just seen this.

Haven't used the speed limiter yet and rarely use the CC as it is only really suitable on a nice clear road where no other Censoreds keep pulling out on you or slowing down then speeding up.  I tend to use it most in 40 or 50 mph limits through motorway road works, where everyone is doing roughly the same.

However, to answer your question...........without R'ingTFM Embarrassed I would guess that 30 is a bit low to use it and might confuse the CVT, which could give you the too many 'changes' you get.

HTH

EDIT: Just RTFM'd pages 5-22 and 5-23.........30 mph minimum, so if you are using the speedo as a guide and it reads maybe 'actual +10%' then that would probably confuse the car.  It also says to remember that CC does not replace the driver LOL.

Edited by G5 BOY - 12áOctá2010 at 11:54am
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áOctá2010 at 11:27pm
I would agree with with that, driven normal autos & you can hold them at a speed where it keeps changing up & down because because its just on the border of a change speed/revs.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áOctá2010 at 11:36pm
yeh my pajero had a change at 30 so if held it at 30  it would keep jumping between gears so i just went 32 lol 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áOctá2010 at 9:08am
I have had many previous vehicles and never experienced this phenomenon so off to the dealer today with this issue and what sounds like a heat shield rattle. Will let you know how it goes

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áOctá2010 at 9:20am
Maybe with it being a CVT it cant decide what the best gear ratio is for the speed you require, as there are a multitude of ratios on the CVT boxErmm. It really should be a constant gear i would have thought. I think its a good idea you have it checked and get advice from NissanErmm. Never been a big lover of CC thoughErmm. Other people love itThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áOctá2010 at 2:16pm
UPDATE
Took my QQ into the dealer on the 13th Oct 12 days ago and they rectified the rattle on the exhaust heat sheild. They identified that the CVT box was low on oil and didnt have any in stock and as of today they are still awaiting it comming in. Unbeleivable that they didnt have any oil in stock in the first place, but even more unbelievable that they are eledgedly awaiting stock comming in.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áOctá2010 at 6:07pm
That is a bit concerning, garage with no engine gear oil!!! cannot have a very good stock control system.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 10:00am
Even more alarming that your CVT was low on oil Shocked.  Never checked mine in either QQ and it's 12500 between services - how many miles have you done Qashin?

Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 11:03am
I have spoken to the garage again today now two weeks since I was in there and it was diagnosed and they say that the oil still hasn't come in yet. (They obviously cant be servicing their vehicles properly in this interim period if they need oil) They have promised to call latter today with an answer. 

The gearbox is now making an awful noise first thing in the morning and smelt of oil yesterday.  They have until the close of business today and then if they haven't an acceptable answer I shall be rattling a few cages at the dealership and Nissan.

Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 2:19pm
UPDATE
Just had a phone call from the dealer they want my QQ in for two days on Monday to enable them to listen to the CVT early am when it is cold and they are loaning me a car for the duration. I will let you know the outcome.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 2:27pm
If there is a lack of oil in it now I would be a bit worried about waiting any longer, hope they accept responsibility for any mishaps.
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 2:40pm
The car is under the manufactures guarantee so anything that happens is their problem as they have been advised.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 2:51pm
Thumbs Up
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áNová2010 at 8:18am
LATEST UPDATE

The dealer has had my car for three days and just collected it yesterday. The speed limiter issue works fine now without the constant changing issues.

Not having been familiar with the CVT (previously had auto or dsg boxes) I didn't realise that it is quite apparent that the taking off from a standstill and changing has never been right from day one.

When I asked the dealer what they had found I was told they had found nothing other than top up the low level of oil.

It raises a number of issues and questions now relevant to the past and future so we will see what happens! As the vehicle will be disposed of at three years it will always have a manufactures guarantee whilst I have it.

Edited by Qashin - 04áNová2010 at 8:22am

Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áNová2010 at 8:26am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Even more alarming that your CVT was low on oil Shocked.  Never checked mine in either QQ and it's 12500 between services - how many miles have you done Qashin?

Sorry G5 Boy just realised I hadnt answered your question re the mileage. The issue had been their since new and now done 1400 miles, apparently low on oil!!!!!!!!

Edited by Qashin - 04áNová2010 at 8:27am

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áNová2010 at 9:57am
That's a bit worrying - I've had loads of autos and have never check the oil level - did the dealer explain why it was low after only 1400 miles?.............Leak?...............Not enough in at production?...............Not checked at PDI?

Gonna check mine now LOL

EDIT: just tried - weird - guess it's the one with the blue dot? - seems to click/lock on as if it doesn't want to come off easily without breaking - so left it alone Confused.................anyone?

Edited by G5 BOY - 04áNová2010 at 10:05am
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áNová2010 at 10:07am
I have never checked ours G5 so i will leave it aloneErmm
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áNová2010 at 11:03am
An auto box should never need its oil checking from service to service.

It appears so far that the oil level has been low from manufacture.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic