UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

CVT gear lever stuck in Park

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CVT gear lever stuck in Park
    Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 10:34am
Hi Guys. I've not been on for a long time, basically because my 2010 2.0l CVT has been running fine and still has only 49.600 km (31,000 m) on the clock. However, in the last fews days, it has developed an annoying fault in which the release button on the gear lever will not depress on startup so I cannot put it into Reverse or Drive. If I persist, after maybe 20 attemps it does release and I can drive normally. I've also removed the shift lock cap and carry a screwdriver with me in case it happens away from home.
An Internet search indicates that this is a common problem on Nissan CVT boxes and various solutions are suggested but nothing consistent. The Nissan solution seems to be the sledgehammer approach of changing solenoid, brake pedal switch and gear lever cable - at considerable expense.
I did a search on this forum but got no results so I wondered if anyone else here has encountered this problem and found a simple solution.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 5:40pm
I remember someone on here took car to dealer and simple fix to brake light switch solved problem.
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 12:26am
I took the car back to the dealer today and the mechanic told me the official Nissan fix is to replace the whole gear shift mechanism at a cost of €1600. He fixed it by making an electrical connection from the brake switch to the solenoid under the gear shift - cost, one hour labour. It works exactly as before except that I now hear a click from under the gear shift lever every time I apply the brakes. I can also feel it if I hold the base of the gear shift. I am not sure what part of the mechanism failed but I presume it must be a separate switch attached to the brake pedal, although I don't see why that would require changing the gear shift assembly. Oh well, it's fixed.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic