Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai 2014 - > Qashqai 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Dashcam: which best for QQ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashcam: which best for QQ?
    Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 2:34pm
Hi Gang:

Anyone here has a dashcam fitted to their Qashqai? I'm thinking of getting one. I've seen a Nextbase 512 gw at Halford's (UK) and they'll also fit it for an extra charge -- which is useful, for me, seeing as I am to DIY what an elephant is to ballet dancing.

Before proceeding further though, I wondered if a dashcam would interfere with any of the Ascenta's functions? Apparently the device can be mounted on the internal mirror, but I'm wondering if that would interfere with whatever magical stuff the QQ does?

And is there any other brand of dashcam that QQ owners would recommend?

Advice appreciated: thanks. Smile
Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
gloucester View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 9:25am
I had a Nextbase 312GW bought at Halfords but self-fitted. I merely plugged it into the armrest socket (the wire was JUST long enough after being fed down the windscreen pillar).

I located it to the left of the mirror suction-fixed to the windscreen using the supplied mount. I haven't heard of dashcams being fitted directly to the mirror. I think the picture here is actually showing it on the standard suction mount with it behind the mirror not attached to it - and the power supply cord isn't connected!:

The picture turns out to be faked anyway since here's the 312GW equivalent:

It's not connected to the Qashqai's wiring so can't see why it would "interfere" with any functionality.

I transferred the dashcam to my Ignis but chose to hard-wire it into the fusebox using Nextbase's official kit. Works fine.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 - sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 ~ 2006 Suzuki GSF650SA ~ 2018 Yamaha MT-07 on order
Flyyte View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:20am
Thanks Gloucester for this info -- and the piccies: makes it all a lot clearer! Mrs F has it in mind to buy as a Christmas present for us, and come to think of it, she's always been more practical than me -- her facility for boiling eggs is quite amazing -- so I might just leave the fitting to her rather than pay Halfords.

I see from their stock list that there's a Nextbase 312GW and a Nextbase 512GW.  Are you happy with your 312GW and d'you reckon there's much point in spending more on t'other model?

Thanks again. Smile
Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
gloucester View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloucester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:16am
https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cams/

I bought the 312GW after having a cheap £30 Presario which fell off my motorbike, went under the wheels, and then across the road under a caravan!

I got it when Halfords had (I think) a 15% or 20% off offer on.

It's fine for what I need it for - the resolution's good enough to read numberplates which is the main deciding factor in my view.

The main difference of the 512GW is the higher resolution.

However not noted at the Nextbase website (as far as I can see) the other advantage of the 512GW is that you can get it with an add-on rear camera which might appeal...

Mine's mounted like this - but a bit leftwards of the mirror (and again the wire's not showing!):

from https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/dash-cams/nextbase-312gw-review-3644364/

Edited by gloucester - 28 Oct 2018 at 10:17am
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 - sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 ~ 2006 Suzuki GSF650SA ~ 2018 Yamaha MT-07 on order
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic