Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Diesel cars being banned?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel cars being banned?
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 5:31am
With news stories like this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39499331

I live in Cambridge where they're proposing this tax.

I'm concerned that life with my QQ+2 diesel 2L is going to become rather inconvenient or expensive. It's still worth over £9000 (March 2011 number plate, it's only done 41000 miles), and it's in perfect running order, so I doubt any scrapping scheme will be adequate compensation.

I'm annoyed because I deliberately chose a diesel to be more fuel efficient, so I knew would thus reduce CO2.

Edited by G5 BOY - 06 Apr 2017 at 9:35am
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:37am
We was lied to Angry.

BTW - livened your link..............

Post Options
Edit post
Highlight link
Click on 'globe with chain icon'
Click 'OK'
Update post

Big smile

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 10:45am
The head line does read "PM hints at help for diesel car owners over 'toxin tax'" so we need to see what the help will be.

Can you though imagine all of the buses, lorries, etc suddenly disappearing?

Personally I think there will be an scrappage allowance for "much" older vehicles, amendments to DPF types, its going to take at least 20 years to phase them out, but by then we will all be in autonomous electric pods anyway...
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 11:39am
I expected my QQ+2 to be the last car I'd own or drive, in the future I'll simply take a self-driving shuttle bus or taxi. We'll become a one car family, and eventually a none-car family. I already bought an electric bike for commuting to work in anticipation of an office move to a place with no parking.
Cambridge toxin tax
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 5:00pm
Petrol Heads rule ok.  Thumbs Up Wink
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
It's interesting that nissan don't appear to have been caught up in the emissions scandal like vw.I hope this means mine is less likely to be taxed to oblivion.
I recently reported a really smokey bus on the dvsa website. I recommend reporting polluting commercial vehicles there.
https://www.gov.uk/report-smoky-vehicle

Edited by G5 BOY - 07 Apr 2017 at 1:00pm
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 9:34pm
As I see, the same discussion which has started in Germany is now on topic in the UK, too....

I do hope, that an electrically powered car, which is fit for everyday use, will be developed and ready when I finally will sell my J10 ...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by speculatrix speculatrix wrote:

It's interesting that nissan don't appear to have been caught up in the emissions scandal like vw.I hope this means mine is less likely to be taxed to oblivion.
I recently reported a really smokey bus on the dvsa website. I recommend reporting polluting commercial vehicles there.
https://www.gov.uk/report-smoky-vehicle

Livened up your link - makes it easier to use Big smile.

Renault are caught up in dieselgate Nuke.  Anybody know who makes Nissan's diesel engines? Ermm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by speculatrix speculatrix wrote:

Cambridge toxin tax

'Drivers were encouraged by previous governments to buy diesel-fueled cars as they were said to be kinder to the environment and cheaper to run. But there is now growing concern about the levels of nitrogen dioxide they emit, thought to cause thousands of premature deaths in the UK'.

.............and the scientist who advise the 'previous government' (just the one I think - GB) that encouraged us to buy diesels was recently quoted as saying they knew at the time how dangerous the diesel emissions were to public health.

Yeah - thanks for that Angry.

Interesting that Cambridge is Labour controlled.  What goes around.............. 

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 1:15am
Can our diesel engines be retrofitted with the Urea exhaust cleaning system (Adblu is the proprietary brand)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust_fluid

if it can, it might extend the lives of our cars significantly. I'd expect mine to last at least another 9 years!
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:55am
I'm afraid the modifications necessary to add a Urea exhaust cleaning system will cost more than the current value of the car....
nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:06pm
I was worried about this, as I purchased a 2013 Tekna 1.6 DCI, 3 years ago.

Emission level is a Euro 5, which when this comes into play in 2019 I will have to pay £20 to enter some towns.

The Mayor of London has  started a T-charge for diesel car which starts in October 2017, but this if for diesel car pre 2008. which is £10 on top of congestion charge.

So I decided not to wait and part exchanged my Tekna.

Was offered £10250 for it, its in excellent condition, with 25k on the clock, no dents or scratches.

Getting a 2015 Ntec+ 1.2 CVT.

Tried to see if I could get a Rav4 Hybrid, but they only offered me £9500 for part exchange and all they had were diesels, dealer said that diesel value is going down so fast, and it will half when it get announced in Autumn budget.

At the moment Euro 6 diesel are going to be exempt from this charge, but dealer said when newer cars come out with lower Nox the Euro mark will be moved and I will be back to square one.

Loosing out a bit going to petrol, road tax is going to cost me £130 instead of £30, lost out on MPG from 62 to 48, even thou I would never get 62mpg.

Diesels cars are getting hit so bad with paying more to park a diesel than petrol, the T-charge and now the Toxin Tax, and the Mayor or London wants to extend the charge boundary to the North/South circular.

1.2 N-Tec + DIG-T CVT 2016, Gun metal Grey; Bonnet Struts, Mud Flaps, Thinkware F770 Dash cam, Cellink B Battery,fold mirrors, Auto closing windows, Door Sill guards, Safego 72w H11 LED Headlight Kit.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:18pm
Umm... are you sure the mayor of London's statement will hold?

Here in Germany the prime minister of Baden-Württemberg announced about a month ago that from 2018 onward, Diesels below Euro6 will be banned from Stuttgart. Today he backed of, announcing that the statement was a bit prematurely, as he ought to have considered, that buying a car is a great expense for the average consumer and that the resale value is a relevant figure for this group of people ...

nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

Here in Germany the prime minister of Baden-Württemberg announced about a month ago that from 2018 onward, Diesels below Euro6 will be banned from Stuttgart. Today he backed of, announcing that the statement was a bit prematurely, as he ought to have considered, that buying a car is a great expense for the average consumer and that the resale value is a relevant figure for this group of people ...

Yes I think it will hold, as the Mayor of London has started his ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) in October this year and wants to extend it to the North/South Circular by 2020/2021.

Unfortunately we have a government that don't care about us and on how much we have to pay to live in the UK and comes out with new taxes and charges to get every penny out of us.

At least you have a Prime Minster that have its people in mind.
1.2 N-Tec + DIG-T CVT 2016, Gun metal Grey; Bonnet Struts, Mud Flaps, Thinkware F770 Dash cam, Cellink B Battery,fold mirrors, Auto closing windows, Door Sill guards, Safego 72w H11 LED Headlight Kit.
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by nitromax nitromax wrote:

Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

Yes I think it will hold, as the Mayor of London has started his ULEZ
(Ultra Low Emission Zone) in October this year and wants to extend it to
the North/South Circular by 2020/2021.

Unfortunately we have a
government that don't care about us and on how much we have to pay to
live in the UK and comes out with new taxes and charges to get every
penny out of us.

At least you have a Prime Minster that have its people in mind.

I think you are a bit mistaken---------
In the case of London we have a Mayor who for the sole purpose of raising taxes has completely changed his tune from the one he sung with Gorden Brown when they where part of the Labour Administration.He is on record advising that people should buy diesel fuelled cars.
This tax is not being raised by the government but by the London Labour Party ---- the uk government has not suggested ,or endorsed, this tax.

The present PM has not agreed with this latest Labour tax and seems to be unhappy with it,

Just have a look at the promises made by Khan before election , and look at what he has done for example he promised to plant 10,000 new trees each year in London---- how many has he planted?    Come on please tell me .    Many more examples if you check his record in any accurate way.
Brian
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 7:47pm
It does seem that this tax being proposed by the Labour Party in various towns is very selective, it taxes private cars only but does not tax

Taxis
Lorry,s
Buses--- a lot owned by local councils

You then need to ask the government why the buses have a very large subsidy given to the on fuel tax.

You then need to recall that this increase in question of increasing the cost of running a derv car is a result of an agreement signed by the last Labour Government at the instruction of the EU

You then need to note that India and Chine are increasing the i missions each day.

Brian
nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Abh29 Abh29 wrote:

I think you are a bit mistaken---------
In the case of London we have a Mayor who for the sole purpose of raising taxes has completely changed his tune from the one he sung with Gorden Brown when they where part of the Labour Administration.He is on record advising that people should buy diesel fuelled cars.
This tax is not being raised by the government but by the London Labour Party ---- the uk government has not suggested ,or endorsed, this tax.

I think the PM will not stop it as she is looking for £515 Million to introduce a scrapage scheme for diesel cars, where is she going to find the money, a new tax maybe.

This scheme is being planned in 35 town across the UK and more towns will follow.

Which ever way this goes, it does not look good for diesel owners or owners of older petrol cars.

My previous car was an LPG, I was given £1800 by the government to convert my Vauxhall Zafira, all was good because LPG was good for the environment, £11 to fill my tank, exempt from congestion charge, reduce road tax, all that was taken away.

I purchase a diesel car, Road tax £30, Now they have started a New VED this year, reason

"This new generation of road tax changes was set in motion by the previous Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne, who oversaw the Treasury when David Cameron was Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street. Under the old VED system most new car buyers were paying relatively small sums in road tax, which has been costing the Government millions of pounds of untapped revenue annually."

In other words too many people are purchasing low road tax cars and they are loosing revenue.

Car drivers always seem to get hit, either on fuel, road tax, or the ULEZ.

When the budget is announced, watch the price of diesel cars euro5 and below fall in price as so many people try and get rid of their cars.

I can see the Toxin Tax coming into force, as they will collect so many revenue from it, businesses rely on their fleet which most of them are diesel.

It might be a scare tactic to get people to get rid of their diesel or for them to purchase new cars, for me I am not going to wait to find out, I got the opportunity to part exchange my car which I have.

Doesn't matter which political party said what, when a new tax is introduced, its always bad for us.
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 8:48pm
In respect of LPG it was great ,never got a grant for installation but really made running a Range Rover nice and cheap. Can not believe the cost it's now selling at.

The consideration of a Scrappage Scheme only comes into play if the present government goes along with the Labour ideas of increasing taxes if you actually follow the advice they gave.

As regards road tax ---- I completely fail to see why we have governments that keep looking at using it as a means of raising more amounts of money. In my opinion it should be dropped completely and the tax on fuel to increased so that it raises the same amount,but paid in relation to miles you actually cover. Unfortunately I do not trust any party to not use this as means of raising revenue.   This would have a big saving by reducing the costs at dvla in Swansea. Alternatively just charge each car a set sum of £xx per year.

Must admit to a personal interest in this as we run 3 cars 2 do 15k per year and cost £135 each per year while the third does 3k per year and costs £275 per year.

Personal opinion is we should be looking to hydrogen fuel use in road units.

Edited by Abh29 - 09 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm
Brian
nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Abh29 Abh29 wrote:

In respect of LPG it was great ,never got a grant for installation but really made running a Range Rover nice and cheap. Can not believe the cost it's now selling at.

The consideration of a Scrappage Scheme only comes into play if the present government goes along with the Labour ideas of increasing taxes if you actually follow the advice they gave.

As regards road tax ---- I completely fail to see why we have governments that keep looking at using it as a means of raising more amounts of money. In my opinion it should be dropped completely and the tax on fuel to increased so that it raises the same amount,but paid in relation to miles you actually cover. Unfortunately I do not trust any party to not use this as means of raising revenue.   This would have a big saving by reducing the costs at dvla in Swansea. Alternatively just charge each car a set sum of £xx per year.

Must admit to a personal interest in this as we run 3 cars 2 do 15k per year and cost £135 each per year while the third does 3k per year and costs £275 per year.

Personal opinion is we should be looking to hydrogen fuel use in road units.

I just managed to get the grant for the LPG then they got rid of it 2 months later, LPG was good but when petrol went up by 1p, LPG goes up by 5/6p at a time, in the end it was not economical as it first was.

I totally agree with you regarding putting the tax on fuel, the more you drive the more tax you would end up paying.

If I purchase a new hybrid and it is over £40k I have to pay £310 on top of my tax of £130 for the first 5 years, but hybrids are more better for the environment, less damaging, still they want their revenue.

If Hydrogen fuel took off, I bet you the price of water would increase.

They talk about finding money, but you never see MP's going short.

"MPs will trouser ANOTHER £1,000 pay rise this year, busting their own public sector pay cap.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) - which sets MPs' pay and expenses - confirmed their annual salary would rise from £74,962 to £76,011 as of April 1.

The increase, originally set out last December, is based on the Office for National Statistics (ONS) calculation of the average overall increase in public sector pay, which includes bonuses and promotion-related rises.

In a statement, Ipsa said: "This is in line with our determination on MPs' pay, published in July 2015, where we committed to adjusting MPs' pay for the rest of this Parliament at the same rate as changes in public sector earnings published by the ONS."

The rise follows a similar cap-busting 1.3% increase last year and a massive 10% hike in 2015 which took an MP's basic pay from £67,000 to £74,000."

Now to be honest if I was running a country or a business, and I had to make cut it will never be from my salary, you always start lower down.

So that's what they are doing, after they get their pay increase they get the money from the working class / drivers and now some people on benefits are getting hit as well..

Off topic my friend is a police officer, he did not get a pay increase last year or the year before  (I cant remember which year) they were offer a 1% pay increase this year and the offer of 2.8% was rejected.

The reason I see this going ahead is because it was the same scenario happened when Ken Livingstone announced the congestion charge, so many people said it would not happen, how it would effect businesses and residents, it happened.

Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 7:54am
The whole question of the environment seems a bit of a smoke screen , while we say this country should be reducing emissions we are giving huge sums to India who are increasing the emissions.
Unfortunately while the government/councils employ too many people, on very high terms they will always be looking for more tax's. Just take the example in Wales recently when a senior council officer left, they wondered what to do with £100k Porsche the council were leasing at over £2k per month for him.
MPs will trouser ANOTHER £1,000 pay rise this year, busting their own public sector pay cap---- from £74,962 to £76,011
I do not consider this salary is too high for the job they are expected to carry out BUT they should not have other jobs as well and the expenses needs to be more controlled, likewise the habit of employing family on high salary's
You refer to the Police pay , but you do not refer to the other benefits the police enjoy, way above that most people could ever envisage. On top of the salary they receive a pension contribution of 24.8% , some [not all] receive Housing Allowance ,Boot Allowance, and a job where you are most unlikely to ever be brought to task if you make errors [example ---give a criminal a mobile phone for his use he runs a bill of over £7.5k per month} Then at age 50 they retire on a very large lump sum and pension. Again the cost for all this has to come from the taxpayer---maybe some of the extra tax on fuel is actually going to the Police, as this extra tax goes to local authority[not government] who are paying the police costs.
Perhaps we all coming to this from the wrong end , instead of complaining about the tax's being raised , we should look at making governments and councils reduce the spending, and reduce the tax take, but all the demand from vested interest groups is for increased spending and more tax's.
The leader of the Green Party is very keen on reducing emission by "us" but still enjoys her Business class trips over the Atlantic.
I do not know if these extra tax grabs will go ahead , for while the likes of Khan and other council leaders are all in favour, government is not.
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic