UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 2.0 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Diesel - to chip or remap? Any benefits???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaq1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel - to chip or remap? Any benefits???
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:16am
Hi,

Looking to buy the Qashqai N-tec 2.0 diesel.

I understand you can buy a chip or get the ECU remapped to improve performance, HP and fuel consumption. Anybody done this and made any noticable gains? What prices would one expect to pay and which is better?

Thanks

Jaq
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:36am
Hi Jac67,
Use the search function, think that has been answered before.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:42am
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 12:30pm

I bought a chip for my 1.5Dci QQ quite recently. Fitted it around the 3,500 mile mark.

I went for one of the £100 ones of eBay rather then the £400 ones advertised in magazines.

Bit early to analyse the results, but my current perception is that the car is a bit more responsive and the economy - going by the computer - is improved.

Once I have a couple more fill-ups I will be able to check the economy pattern before and after.

gadgeteer View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadgeteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:27pm
This is all new to me.  What are the risks here?  If it is so easy to get a performance increase and lower fuel consumption, why does Nissan not just do this from day 1?
Broadsword View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broadsword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:09pm

So what do we do that's different, and if it's so good, why didn't the manufacturers do it in the first place?

All manufacturers test their vehicles to their absolute limits during the development stages, prior to a car going on sale to the public. These tests are carried out to ensure the car will still maintain a high level of reliability, even when service intervals are neglected, and the poorest quality, high sulphur fuels are used. Even then, they are expected to run in both extreme hot, and cold climates as well.

In short, you should be able to take almost any vehicle, anywhere in the world, and it should run well.

Obviously, alot of vehicles, once purchased by their owners, will stay in the country they were first registered. This is one of the factors we take into account for tuning, as the countries climate will have a bearing on the level of tuning. Then there is the quality of fuel available. 

In Europe for instance, it is recommend to use Euro Diesel. Other countries may have high sulphur diesel, which will seriously inhibit tuning potential. As here in the UK, the quality of fuel we have is excellent, and our climate is pretty good too (for tuning anyway!), as we have air temperatures that span from about as low as -15 to around +33 degrees Celsius, throughout the seasons.

Ambient temperatures are important on turbo charged engines, as we don't want the inlet temps to get too high. This is why turbo diesels have intercoolers (radiators specifically for air) fitted. As the turbo compresses the intake air, it gets hot, so as it passes through the intercooler, an air to air heat exchange takes place, and the compressed air within the intercooler is cooled by several degrees. The effect of this is you can squeeze more air in the cylinders, and so add more fuel. This results in a bigger bang, and so gives greater power output.

Taken from a reputeable dealer of after market chips.
jaq1967 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaq1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 6:03am
I am no clearer about 'why' the manufactures limit the vehicles capability in the first place - having read the above. Logic dictates if you tune the vehicle so it is it's most economical then why not do that? It is greener surely if you get more mpg? The above posting lost me - sorry.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broadsword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 7:59am
Basically due to the way the engine is set up from manufacturers there is an overhead to tune it for more power, torque or economy depending on your need.

The overhead comes from a mixture of factors including a standard setup that will work anywhere in the world regardless of variables including: fuel quality, temperature, humidity  and in some cases emissions standards.

Hopefully someone here will try and make it a bit clearer as I have a habit of going too deep in an explanation.
jaq1967 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaq1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:29am
Why don't the vendors then sell the cars and give the option for a remapping for a fee. Easy money. Also could be introduced as a service option too - for a fee.
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Broadsword Broadsword wrote:

Basically due to the way the engine is set up from manufacturers there is an overhead to tune it for more power, torque or economy depending on your need.

The overhead comes from a mixture of factors including a standard setup that will work anywhere in the world regardless of variables including: fuel quality, temperature, humidity  and in some cases emissions standards.

Hopefully someone here will try and make it a bit clearer as I have a habit of going too deep in an explanation.

made sense to me.  Reckon you described it pretty well Wink

essentially the makers setup the cars for the lowest common denominator and try to minimise the amount of varients they have to deal with mechanically.

SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by jaq1967 jaq1967 wrote:

Why don't the vendors then sell the cars and give the option for a remapping for a fee. Easy money. Also could be introduced as a service option too - for a fee.

Some Dealers and some Manufacturers do offer a 'chipping' service.  

Unlikely for a car like a Qashqai as to be honest, it is not the kind of car that the a significant number of owners would be interested in doing, so those that do pretty much need to do so through the 3rd party/unofficial route.

Edited by SuperMop - 19 Aug 2010 at 10:27pm
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broadsword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 12:19am
The only manufacturers i have used that offer an after market chipping service are Subaru and Mitsubishi on the prodrive pack and FQ pack respectively. (Both made me grin from ear to ear)

In fact don't Nissan offer it for the skyline????
skyline View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 10:55pm

Hi,

Looking to buy the Qashqai N-tec 2.0 diesel.

I understand you can buy a chip or get the ECU remapped to improve performance, HP and fuel consumption. Anybody done this and made any noticable gains? What prices would one expect to pay and which is better?

Thanks

Jaq
have you considered a tuning box? they can be fitted and removed in minutes so can be carried over to next car or sold, something you cant do with a remap. im running one on a 1.5 dci note and getting 68mpg and got 76mpg on a 1.5 dci micra and they both pulled like a train upto 100 and left many cars behind. i would highly recommend one ,mine cost £165 including postage and full 30 day money back guarantee...
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 11:44pm
not wanting to put people off but did anyone see 5th gear when they tried to improve mpg ,basically they ran a car on 1 gallon of petrol at 60mph around a track and got 46miles till it stopped they then spent £300 on a tuning box set for more mpg and a set of low resistance tyres at £60 each then ran the same line at 60mph again and got 45.5miles till it spluttered to a stop ,professionals said they are a waste of money unless you put them in a 4 litre gas guzzler then you may get upto 10 mpg extra
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
jaq1967 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaq1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 4:01am
Remapping and tuning boxes (chipping) are pretty much the same - except remapping is more accurate, more expensive and set to whatever specs you request. Tuning box is DIY. Cheaper and more hit and miss. I probably will go down the tuning box road as it is removable and remapping could be reset if car went into service and they mess about with settings - so potential loss of money by accident. Your getting good results from your box. What's the brand???
benih View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by skyline skyline wrote:

Hi, Looking to buy the Qashqai N-tec 2.0 diesel. I understand you can buy a chip or get the ECU remapped to improve performance, HP and fuel consumption. Anybody done this and made any noticable gains? What prices would one expect to pay and which is better? Thanks Jaq

have you considered a tuning box? they can be fitted and removed in minutes so can be carried over to next car or sold, something you cant do with a remap. im running one on a 1.5 dci note and getting 68mpg and got 76mpg on a 1.5 dci micra and they both pulled like a train upto 100 and left many cars behind. i would highly recommend one ,mine cost £165 including postage and full 30 day money back guarantee...

I have just picked up a unit from quickking and don't think it can be fitted and removed in minutes. The 2.0 dci I have looks to need the metal air piped moved over to gain access to the common rail port. I think I might attempt it tomorrow but it's not as simple as they make out..well not for the dci anyway. Still when it's fitted I'll have 180 horses!!
Qashqai+2 Tekna 2.0dci arrived 4th March 2010 in Magnetic Red.
vassili View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vassili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 1:08am
simply put the denser the air the faster it goes 
anyone here noticed on a cold winters morning that there diesel runs quicker and better than in summer.
vassili
vixx View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 8:44pm
so guys yesterday i decided i was not gonna get a remap or tuning box put on to my car....i heard they are not good and could be harmful to the engine in the long run and also that remap or tuning don't offer any real world performance on small engine's such as the 1.5 dci (i have)....

the tuning box looks like the better option because it can be taken off at service or selling time....

Okay so i would for one final time like to know from qashqai owners that have put a tuning box on there qashqai 1.5 dci 

• What (name/company) tuning box they have on there qashqai?
  • If mpg has improved ?
  • Disadvantages (if any)?
  • What sort of performance they are getting (bhp/nm figures)?
  • were to buy ebay/website?
and were should i get the box fitted from?

Thank u 

GSX600FMAN View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:26pm
I got to say personally and just in my opinion that the Qashqai is not the car I would have bought if I needed to have a car that I wanted to 'chip' 'remap' etc. The cars mentioned earlier are the type that are up to the increase. Cars are set how they are so that the manufacturers can just about, within reason, guarantee that they are reliable. If you force the performance up you could reduce the reliability. For example if you fitted a nitrous oxide set-up in your car it would go very fast but for a short time, as it melts your alloy cylinder head. We can't have everything, if we want performance (speed) you have to burn more fuel to push through the air. If you want less consumption, you need to accelerate moderately and smoothly. The compromise is that basically most cars can do 100MPH (no need to preach here, I'm talking about their capability and capacity) and we're content with 25 to 65 mpg. 
  We'd be better off fitting a fog generating machine in front of the air intake. Because I will claim that driving in damp, misty, foggy conditions makes the car and bike (GSX600F obviously in my case) perform much better. In the past (years ago) I had seriously considered fitting basically water injectors to the intake. Evil Smile

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 30 Sep 2010 at 9:28pm
Ordered QQ+2 Tekna 1.5 black on 20/4/10 expected 10/7/10. Collected on 19/7/10
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 9:40pm
I love that idea...a little fog machine strapped to the front!
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:07pm
Don't need a fog machine here cos it's allways like you describe GSXLOL
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 4:26pm

A tuning "box" is *not* the same as a proper remap done by someone who knows what they're doing. 

Firstly a "box" is a generic item that should work with a certain model, whereas a proper remap involves some level of testing and tailoring to your specific engine. This means that the remap takes into account such things as manufacturing variances in the individual engine and driver preference.

Secondly, a remap will apply different corrections at different engine conditions, whereas most "boxes" just apply a certain change throughout the rev range. Engines actually need a lot more subtlety than "twist this until it smokes" one-setting-for-all-conditions adjustments.

The fact is that cars the output of the engine isn't a question of the best a manufacturer can do before the engine expires - it's whatever the marketing dept believes is appropriate for the target market of the car. Don't forget that there is a 173bhp version of the engine fitted to the 2.0dci available in certain other Nissans and Renaults. It's very reliable, but not mechanically all that different from the 148BHP version in the Qashqai. Logically, then, modifying the Qashqai to the 170-odd BHP you'd prefer to have (rather than the 140-odd that Nissan's marketting people thought you'd want) shouldn't actually terminate the engine.

Personally I have a company car with modifications prohibited, so I cannot countenance such things myself. But if my car was my own property I would be sorely tempted.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 5:17pm
this is a good point 2fat2bald ,i would happily pay nissan £300 to up the engine to 174bhp but to give £300 to a third party for a black box that is universal and has 4 settings seems dubious to say the least , a specific remap for the qq engine seems much more likely to show benefits
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 5:41pm
I really don't know why Nissan don't offer the 173BHP engine in the Qashqai. There may be a good reason (such as the Chassis, Suspension or whatever struggle to cope with it without expensive modifications), or it may simply be some marketing team didn't think it would fit in with the segment they're trying to sell in, or is may be that the fuel economy would suffer too much, or perhaps someeone thought it would steal sales from the Murano? Who knows (Well..Nissan presumably do).

Either way, I think the 173BHP engine in my n-tec with a manual gearbox would be a lot of fun! - i'd have paid the extra for it, that's for sure.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:30am
------

Edited by Downtime - 09 Jan 2014 at 7:43pm
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
Sounds like a winner - and a very good price too!! 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
QQ CRO View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQ CRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 3:34pm
Hi
Is there such a tuning for the 1.5 dCi pureDrive?
Since my car has only 6000 miles and still under 4 years warranty will  installation of this device leaves some trace in the car computer when I get a car for service or is it  problem  to dismantle the device before the service at an authorized service?

Edited by QQ CRO - 26 Mar 2012 at 3:36pm
2011 1.5 DCI Pearl Black N-Bling
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 3:53pm
------

Edited by Downtime - 09 Jan 2014 at 7:44pm
QQ CRO View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQ CRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 4:02pm
Thanks Downtime!
Even the postage 9.99 GBP for Croatia is not too high Smile.
I'll try to contact them for some more information.
2011 1.5 DCI Pearl Black N-Bling
n-tec FLASH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n-tec FLASH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 6:40pm
just remember to remove before your next service

Edited by n-tec FLASH - 26 Mar 2012 at 6:41pm
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 8:35pm
------

Edited by Downtime - 09 Jan 2014 at 7:44pm
frank1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frank1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 10:09pm
Just had my 1.5 Deisel remapped today, give it a week and I,ll let you Know how it is performing
rustyfrog View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:52pm
Been watching this topic with interest.
I will admit to being severely tempted.

They only downside I can see is that my expensive Conti tyres wont last very long!
I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left!

2011 QQ + 2, Ntec, 2L dci 4wd, Blade Silver, + Chrome pack
qashqaiman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 8:17pm
having worked in the motor industry for 28 years you dont jet something for nothing it is ok to increase the power but has the car got adequate brakes to stop it also any engine tuning would have to be declared to your insurance company then watch premiums rise
2011 qashqai tekna 1.6 dci black. with chrome fog light surrounds front & rear.sidebars.number plate surrounds door sill guards.
frank1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frank1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 8:37pm
It's been over a week since I had it remapped and the difference is amazing they is much more power and I am not changing up and down the gears all the time, as for the fuel comsumption it is deffinetely not doing any less I think it may be doing more but I will not know this until I refill the tank, I cannot see a down side to it, as for the braking just because you have more power it is not compulsory to use it, that goes for the tyres as well
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic