UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Difficulty starting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm0vpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difficulty starting
    Posted: 11áJaná2017 at 10:37am
Hi all,
I have a 5-year old Qashqai and it has always been 100%. Starts perfectly, even after being abandoned for 4 weeks every fourth month. Always started at the first pull, even when the temp is -18'C and the car is covered with a metre of snow.

I went home (to Spain) for three weeks in December and left the car with a garage for service (90,000km). Now it is unreliable:

Turn the key and all the dashboard lights come up, but the starter solenoid does not even click. After about 6 or 7 retries the engine will turn over, but:

once the starter motor has worked it will turn over with every pull, but it just turns over and over and does not fire. After about 10 - 15 attempts it will start. When it does start it starts in less than a second of the motor turning over the engine.

It can sometimes take me 5 minutes to get it started, even if the outside temp has now risen to +2'C.

I though it was moisture ingress after being left standing, but now after a week it is still exactly the same. The battery I am sure is fine, as the starter motor turns over as strong as it always has done.

When started it is 100% reliable in traffic, no loss of power. Within a couple of hours it will work fine, but park the car overnight and the problem comes back.

I would go back to the garage who did the service but the garage burned down in a fire yesterday (see brand rosersberg in www.aftonbladet.se).

Any ideas as to what it could be? There is no bus service between my home and work so I really rely on the car.

Very best regards
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áJaná2017 at 12:11pm
Sounds exactly like what happened to mine. Turned out to be the fuel filter (diesel engine) which was replaced at car service but a third party make was used. Nissans are very particular when it comes to fuel filters so only have it replaced with an official Nissan one. Problem disappeared immediately when this was done.

Hope it helps.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
sm0vpo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm0vpo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áJaná2017 at 4:55pm
Thank you very much for your response. I think I have found the cause of the problem - the key.

The key has a chip that somehow communicates with the car. If there is no communications then it will not allow the starter motor to turn the engine over. It will also block the ignition.
I simply used the other key and it works fine - always starts at the first "pull".

Interesting fault :-)

Very best regards from Harry Lythall
www.sm0vpo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic