UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > General Specs and Technical Details
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Do spare wheels fit wheel wells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do spare wheels fit wheel wells
    Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 12:15pm

Can someone confirm if a full sized wheel will fit into the wheel well of a 2012 Qashqai.  I am thinking of buying a spare (not a space saver) but looking at the recess, it doesn't appear to be deep enough for an ordinary n-tec alloy?

2012 Nissan Qashqai 2.0L CVT, Cayman Blue, Auto Mirror Kit, Chrome Door Sills and Rear Boot Handle Trim
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 1:24pm
I don't know about the 2012 model but my 2010 update came with a full size steel spare. I wouldn't think the alloy rim would take up any more space.
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2012 at 4:14pm
Dont really know -suppose you could jack it up take one off and try it in well.
the price of an alloy new with tyre could prove expensive.
good luck.
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
guidedog View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guidedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm
ive got a full sized spare wheel and it fits albeit snugly in the wheel well ok
Its a tough issue to get it out as its a tight fit but it does fit
Also you loose something like 4 inches from the boot space as it sticks out above the level floor of the space creating a bit of a bump
but in my opinion it worth it knowing you have a full size wheel there

guidedog has a 18plate Tekna+   all dressed in Pearl Black and a hint of chrome..
Argo64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2012 at 11:45am
Thanks for the confirmation, I thought that would be the case.  I managed to pick up a brand new alloy cheap so will stick with it, as my boot is usually empty anyway.
2012 Nissan Qashqai 2.0L CVT, Cayman Blue, Auto Mirror Kit, Chrome Door Sills and Rear Boot Handle Trim
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:02pm
When you say you have a full size spare wheel, what size is it?
My current wheels are 18" alloys on a 2009 ntec, but the spare is a 16".

Im getting a new Qashai tomorrow, so it would be nice to know if i should move the spare wheel tomorrow too. However if i would be getting a bump, i think i will leave the spare in the old car.

If you see this, please answer before the morning.

Thanks ;)
Argo64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:29pm
My spare is an 18" n-tec alloy, I haven't put the tyre on yet, but it will definitely sit proud of the boot floor.
MACQQ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 9:29pm
The facelift MK2 will only take the 16 inch spacesaver wheel and tyre, leaving the boot floor level. The sub-woofer fits inside the saver wheel and also keeps the floor level. A full size 17 or 18 inch alloy will not fit without making a "hump" in the floor. 
Tekna 2012 1.5dci 2wd
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 7:17am
Perfect, thanks.
I'm gonna feel a bit self conscious swapping over the spare wheel in a couple of hours, but its a must.
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 11:54am
All swapped, no problem.
Thanks to the forum (and it being on the news today) i have got a car with a spare wheel.

Now i need to try and find the posts on how to set the doors to auto lock when i move, and also only unlock the drivers door when pressing the key once..
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 3:59pm
anti hijack mode is set by holding down the central locking (between the front seats)button for 10 seconds (until it beeps) with the ignition on but not started 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 4:04pm
Cheers Craig. I found a thread about that earlier.
No idea why both of these features have not been enabled on either of my Qashqai's. I bet there are loads of people driving around not knowing that the features exist.

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 4:07pm
Thumbs Up

hoping one day a nice and knowledgeable member will stick a post on with all these little tips that i can make a sticky post as currently there spread all over the forum and can be hard to find Wink
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
costelloa View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote costelloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 5:59pm
Hi
help please with my spare wheel problem
My qashqai is a 2012 tekna with the new diesel engine
my dealer says nissan do not recommend putting the sub woofer inside the spare wheel, So will not sell me a spare wheel of any type
Allan
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:06pm
I do not know the answer. There is no audio equipment in the boot of my ntec+ to the best of my knowledge.
Nightshade 59 N-tec 1.6L Petrol (09/09-11/12)
Black 62 N-tec+ 1.5dci (11/12-??/??)
marzeater View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marzeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:06pm
Knowing you have a spare wheel is worth far more than how the sub woofer fits. Ignore the dealer and buy one.
I know from bitter experience how useless the get you home goo is.
2011 Magnetic Red 2.0 dci ntec
18days View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 18days Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:11pm
I've just read your question again, but this time understood that the focus is more on the wheel rather than the stereo. There are a few being sold on that well known auction site between £80-100. But how it would affect the subwoofer, I have no idea.
Nightshade 59 N-tec 1.6L Petrol (09/09-11/12)
Black 62 N-tec+ 1.5dci (11/12-??/??)
costelloa View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote costelloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 6:16pm
Hi Guys
Thank you for your reply
I am going to get a spare wheel
Just wanted to know had any other owners had the same problem with there dealer or is it just my bad luck
Thanks again
Allan
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:12pm
If you have a 'spacesaver' spare wheel, the subwoofer will fit inside ok and it uses the same central securing bolt.  I have one fitted.  The boot carpet also lies flat so you will not notice it.

If you are intending to use a full size spare, I would have thought that the subwoofer would fit inside the 'hollow' of the spare wheel when the wheel is placed upside down.  Not sure of this but easily tested by using one of your 'fitted' wheels to test.  I have read on the forum that the boot carpet does not lie flat when a full size wheel is fitted as spare.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
costelloa View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote costelloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 7:23pm
Hi Doug999
Thank you for your reply
see you have a tekna also, did you get your wheel from your dealer or did you get it from somewhere else,
A space saver as got to be better then the can of sealant
Best regards
Allan
BJTekna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJTekna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 10:17pm
My new car came with the 'goo' however I made it very clear when buying the new one that I would be keeping the space saver (and all the tools), which fits in the boot with the sound system on topWink.  I have a spare wheel in the garage if the need arisesLOL
Tekna 1.5 Dci Magnetic Red ordered 20 July, Del 23 Oct. 60 reg plate
28 March 13 Magnetic
Red 1.5 Dci Tekna 13 reg loving it!
Ink 1.6 Dci 4Wd Tekna, Ink on order Mar 15
Craigy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:25pm
I'm a little confused? I have a 2011 ntec with 18" alloys and the normal wheel does NOT fit into the recess if you have changed the tyre. When I say it doesn't fit, it doesn't even vaguely fit and the carpet in the boot sits very high!
N-Tec 2.0Dci 4x4 in Nightshade.
pennine15 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennine15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 12:51pm
My spacesaver wheel, tyre and jack etc arrived today and I have just fitted it into the boot with plenty of space.
When I compared the wheel against the existing ones it is about an inch smaller in diameter.

I believe a normal wheel will fit in the diameter but it is a lot wider and does push the carpet up.

The cut-outs are still there on the left hand side for the jack, jack handle and wheel spanner. I have also purchased a Draper extending spanner (with 2 double ended sockets) off Amazon to make it easier to remove the wheel nuts.

Because the spacesaver fits face down, I have utilised the space to keep a tow rope, jump leads and the original inflater kit just in caseWink  
Qashqai 1.6 N-TEC+ 4x2 2012 Mineral Grey. Folding mirrors, auto windows & club sticker.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by costelloa costelloa wrote:

Hi Doug999
Thank you for your reply
see you have a tekna also, did you get your wheel from your dealer or did you get it from somewhere else,
A space saver as got to be better then the can of sealant
Best regards
Allan

I bought the spacesaver and jack from one of the forum members who was moving on.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Craigy Craigy wrote:

I'm a little confused? I have a 2011 ntec with 18" alloys and the normal wheel does NOT fit into the recess if you have changed the tyre. When I say it doesn't fit, it doesn't even vaguely fit and the carpet in the boot sits very high!

Craig, sorry for stating the obvious but have you removed the foam insert from the boot?  The Tekna has a foam surround which when removed will permit a spare wheel to be fitted.  Don't know about the Ntec but am sure other owners will advise.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:05pm
When you say "normal wheel" do you mean the  same as the other four on the car? if you have one of those then it has been bought seperately from a breakers or ebay etc. If the car comes with a  spare it is the 16" space saver (regardless of car wheel size) which is narrower than an  alloy & the wheel well is designed to take this.

2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Begardat6 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Begardat6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2013 at 11:09pm
I also have a 2011 Ntech and purchased a full sized alloy spare wheel and tyre, it fits perfectly in the boot with the foam insert removed.It raises the boot floor approximately 2", so I made a plywood panel with 2" wooden packers as the new boot floor. JOB DONE.
It isnt so noticeable and is far better when travelling to have a proper spare wheel (especially as I regularly tow a caravan). I read a report a couple of weeks ago from a qashqai owner who ran over glass on the M 25 totally trashed the tyre which meant a 2 hr wait to be removed from the motorway on a breakdown wagon.
Begardat6

2.0 DCi ALL MODE CONNECT EDITION NOIR METALIQUE
marzeater View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marzeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Begardat6 Begardat6 wrote:

I also have a 2011 Ntech and purchased a full sized alloy spare wheel and tyre, it fits perfectly in the boot with the foam insert removed.It raises the boot floor approximately 2", so I made a plywood panel with 2" wooden packers as the new boot floor. JOB DONE.
It isnt so noticeable and is far better when travelling to have a proper spare wheel (especially as I regularly tow a caravan). I read a report a couple of weeks ago from a qashqai owner who ran over glass on the M 25 totally trashed the tyre which meant a 2 hr wait to be removed from the motorway on a breakdown wagon.

An alternative to the ply false floor is a 2" slab of flooring grade polystyrene. I used it on mine and have an almost perfectly flat floor. I used Jablite from B&Q, it's grey and very similar to the Nissan supplied infill. Easy to cut using the infill as a template and 3 round slices glued together with silicon sealant to fill the wheel recess.
2011 Magnetic Red 2.0 dci ntec
Ammacodaz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ammacodaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 8:21pm
I got caught out working on a sewage treat,ent works in Barking last week. Noticed I had a puncture and on investigation,no jack,wheel brace or spare

Tried repair kit but didnt do the job as when started to move the car I found an inch square piece of steel in the inner shoulder of the tyre.

Had to pay £186 for a new tyre

Don't want to get caught out again so sorted trolley jack, torque wrench and 21mm deep socket but question is what spare to get and where from.

I have a 2012 n-tec.

Do you have to replace the compressor after using the latex repair kit and where is the best place to get the kit from?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Also

I see comments ref sub woofer. Is this something that can be added and is the wiring already there for it on an n-tec?

Cheers folks

Daz

Edited by Ammacodaz - 13 May 2013 at 8:23pm
61 Plate QQ N-Tec 1.6 petrol in Red
HardDrive View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HardDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 2:32pm
I have a 2017 tekna facelift 1.5 cdi and its fitted with a Bose sub - has anyone fitted a spare wheel in the boot well  and what size did you get- i i currently have the 19inch wheels - i would just like to put a normal size steel wheel on in the event problem and not use the pump and goo 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic