Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

DPF problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 11:59am
Re: 
i never really understood this whole thing, sure its lowering emisions by filtering the soot... but then it clogs and you have to do the regen drive.... and burn all the soot off which will come out the exhaust.... so surely anything saved is then defaulted....

Good point - I'll add that to my list of questions that shouldn't be asked...

Like:

if we put a man on the moon over 40 years ago, why can't we have windscreen wipers that work silently and leave no smears?

why do women always see accidents in their rear-view mirrors?

why do Salesmen you don't want to hear from always phone you up yet the Salesmen you want to hear from never call?

why do I always end-up working on Christmas Eve (well almost Wink)?

Edited by pandjh - 24 Dec 2010 at 12:00pm
2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 12:21pm
good list pandjh my faveourite being number 2
UrbanNomad View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by vinnyh vinnyh wrote:

The wife isn't shy when putting her foot down, although my conclusion is that she would only be doing 70 for about 10 minutes per journey so am assuming that is not long enough.
Though my only hope is that as its been so cold, the engine isn't getting as hot as it would normally.

last night as we have roadworks on the M25, I was doing 50 in 3rd, after the roadworks I was doing 70 in 4th.  

I suppose at the end of the day, if this is the small price you have to pay for not having all that black soot coming out the back of the car and paying lower road tax then so be it.

Hi vinnyh, although not a diesel owner, but lover of all things Qashqai I and others have strong views regarding DPF's. I'm glad that overall you appear to be enjoying your QQ, but I disagree 100% that it's considered acceptable that you should be dictated to by a car as to how you use it. This has been causing concern from since launch in 2007 ( 2litre dci )  and is affecting lots of owners, not just Nissan. With the recent bad weather, driving at high speeds / revs surely is not a good idea, and the initial reasoning for purchasing a diesel, better fuel returns, is lost when you have to undertake  unnecessary  driving so not to conk out.  Confused

Bling-free 2009 QQ Acenta 1.6 called Tyson in Faded Denim, still looking box fresh!
vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:03am
Being a 2.0 dci owner I read every page of this thread with interest, what I'm getting at is the DPF is there for a reason and is helping our children from not breathing in harmful particles. Where it all goes wrong is Nissan charging £200 to get the car back to normal and the design of the DPF in the first place. For me, the likes of the AA and RAC should be able to clear the filter and if not then Nissan and their competitors should clear it for free.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 3:59pm
while i agree vinny what i ont understand is if it clogs up and needs to be regenerated, through driving or your dealer isnt that just releasing all the soot and hamful particles that it blocked in the first place? rendering it pretty much useless??
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:28pm
It's less damaging to burn the soot off and release Carbon Dioxide (etc) by doing this than it is to spew unburned particulates into the air.  That's why DPFs are (on balance) a good thing.

The problem is that some manufacturers have tried to do the job "on the cheap" by fitting passive systems, and active (additive) systems work much better at the current state of development.

The problem with all systems is that the fact is that DPF computer cannot know when you're going to stop/slow so it's pretty difficult to know when would be a good time to start regenerating. Maybe if they fitted a manual "regen" button and some kind of indicator of how blocked the DPF was people could just hit it whenever they got on the motorway/ring road etc?
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

It's less damaging to burn the soot off and release Carbon Dioxide (etc) by doing this than it is to spew unburned particulates into the air.  That's why DPFs are (on balance) a good thing.

The problem is that some manufacturers have tried to do the job "on the cheap" by fitting passive systems, and active (additive) systems work much better at the current state of development.

The problem with all systems is that the fact is that DPF computer cannot know when you're going to stop/slow so it's pretty difficult to know when would be a good time to start regenerating. Maybe if they fitted a manual "regen" button and some kind of indicator of how blocked the DPF was people could just hit it whenever they got on the motorway/ring road etc?

thanks for clearing that up for me 2f2b, i wasnt sure... now i know lol. im getting a petrol but still like to keep an interest in all things QQ lol
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:57pm

It's nothing like as common (yet) but there have been some Petrol engines equipped with DPFs, as well as catalyser.

vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:49am
2fat2bald, I like your idea about manual regen and having a gauge to tell you how much the DPF is clogged up, the second would be real handy as at least it would give you an idea of when to do a regen before the light comes on. Another option I thought of was that there was a button to just release the soot but wouldn't work until the car was doing over 70 therefore releasing in a non urban area, though it would have to release quite slowly as the car behind is going to look a mess.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:38am

70mph doesnt mean non urban area Evil Smile i do 100 through the streets.... just kidding lol. i stick the the speed limits.....honest.......

HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:49pm
Must sat Im glad I got one of the last 1.5dci engines without the dpf, got mine on 14th Sept so must have cut it fine to my relief. Smile
HJ07PKO View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HJ07PKO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:59pm
Yes, you were lucky. I thought that I was when I picked mine up at the end of June because there were already some 1.5 dcis about then with filters.

Edited by HJ07PKO - 29 Dec 2010 at 5:00pm
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:03pm
I wasn't too bother at 1st as there is a dual carriageway next to me, but when I think of all the unnecessary hassle that a dpf entails I'm now glad I didn't get one.
vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:58pm
Good Job you didn't HarryN-TEC as that dual carriageway may not have been long enough to get rid of the light if it had come on.  Another thing that amazed me when reading the DPF section in the manual, is that it says to drive over 50mph until the light goes out.  There is nothing to mention how long it should normally take, so when I initially read this I thought that I could be on the Motorway for hours.

Why do I get a feeling that Nissan and the like didn't invest enough time and money into getting this as right as possible first time round, or are we doing the testing on their behalf?     
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:01pm
To be honest, though, it's not really fair to blame Nissan. This is a europe-wide edict that all new diesel cars will have DPFs fitted. The technology really isn't mature enough for that kind of mass adoption yet, though.

It's the EU's fault.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:23pm
The European Commission only issues directives based on industry concensus. This means that the majority of European automobile manufacturers will have already agreed that the Euro V requirements can be achieved. The bureaucrats can't be blamed - it's the industry boffins who set the standards.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
Bazzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 5:18pm
I say lets blame the EU. They send out Directives that we have to comply with, the motor manufacturers don't really have an option. It is down to all this climate change rubbish, that just add costs to everything, without really improving the environment.
The hazards associated with soot, is that it is carcenogenic.
Happy New Year
Bazzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 5:20pm
I still love my Qashqai, and touch wood, the DPF light has not come on since I bought it new in May 2010. I hate tempting fate
vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
I was blaming all manufacturers as I know that Nissan owners are not alone feeling the pain of the DPF. be interesting to know if the EU told the manufactures how to reduce the emissions or left it to them to find the solution. Whilst the technology may not be there, isn't that the perfect reason not to charge people £200 to fix it, It almost borders on extortion.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:07pm

I don't think there is a "right" answer to this question.

DPFs are a good thing, so the question becomes who pays for it?
d-fore View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-fore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 3:54pm
Sorry to comment so late on this one. Just returned from a Nissan dealer after looking at vans for our business. The small one I was looking at had the same engine as the QQ so when I asked about the DPF issue, the salesman admitted the problem and said "all you need to do is blast it on the motorway once a week". I mentioned that that was not always an option but he said it was the only way. I think ill stick to my 07 QQ pre DPF. Oh and the vans dont have a petrol option either. Shame they don't plan on a QQ based van!
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 5:12pm
To be honest, you don't need to bother with a motorway. Any reasonably long journey ought to do it, provided you keep the revs up. But since you have no way to know (or control) when it regenerates it's kinda hard to know when you have to do that!
broc View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote broc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 10:19pm
I used to have an X-Trail 173 with DPF.  During last winter it gave me no end of trouble.   I have a regular daily 20 minute 15 mile commute which includes 12 miles of dual carriageway & on several occasions within a month I had the DPF warning light come on towards the end of my journey. I had to extend my journey by approx 20 mins driving back & forward along the dual carriageway until the light cleared, making me late for work on each occasion.   In the end I could not handle the uncertainty of knowing when it would  happen again....

Modern Diesel technology, with high pressure piezo injection systems, DPF and DMF is proving to be more and more problematic.... it's petrol for me now, I am just waiting for my petrol n-Tec QQ to be delivered next month.
oct_017 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oct_017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:49am
Hello Everyone!

Im new here.

I live in Malta and im planning to buy a 15dci (2010 facelift) 2nd hand from the uk. Does this model have DPF problems? Or are the probelms only on the 20dci engines?

Happy new year guys!
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 9:29am

if it was built before september 2010 (which i would assume it is, being second hand i would think its 6 months old probably, tends to be the way of them lol)

if it was before september there was no dpf. ask the dealer if its euro 4 or euro 5 spec. euro 4 has no dpf.
theres also a way to tell by looking at the engine, its somewhere in this topic ill see if i can find it

Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:40am
My warning light is coming on every 1500 miles or so....is that 'normal' compared to what others are finding?

At work, so no time to read through the 60 pages I'm afraid
Used to own 57-plate 2.0dCi Acenta 4WD in Flame Red

Did have a 1.6dCi Tekna CVT in Ink Blue on order in 2014 but got cancelled.....

I miss my QQ and may be back in a few years
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:52am
I don't think that is normal but i will leave it for other guys with diesels to comment onErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:28am

Which Warning Light Chucky?  Do you mean the DPF warning light rather than the engine management light (puffy cloud picture, I think)?  Are you doing the regen drive? and does it go out afterwards?

If all the above are yes then it seems for you and the journies you predominantly make this IS right.

It sounds like you you have had it come on a few times?  It seems logical that the frequency of the DPF needing a regen will depend on the type of journey you make most often.  The most important thing is that you take the 'Regen drive' as soon as safely possible after the light comes on.
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:32am
Yes Cowpers, the warning light. It does go off after a regen run which I always do asap. It's just a little frustrating now so wanted to know there is nothing fundamentally wrong.

Thanks for the help

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:37am
Is there not a patch for the engine management system to prolong regen periods? Or am i thinking of something elseErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:48am
There might be...there was some thought that the system could use more fuel to get the engine to a higher temperature at a lower work load.

I would suggest that as you (Chucky) are getting a very good MPG from a 2.0L you are driving very economically and very effectively too I might add.  Perhaps having the odd....'I'm gonna burn these guys at the lights' journey or two might be all you need to extend the gap.  In effect, you see, that is all the 'regen run is'.  Do you see what I mean? Maybe twice a week push the accelerator a bit harder than normal.

I know this seems counter productive in terms of being 'green' and economical but I guess this is a result of the EU pushing in environment regulations without considering all the implications or allowing proper development of the tech.

But if i were you I'd be happy, at least you know your system is working and you are doing what you need to avoid that forced regen.

Edited by Cowpers - 21 Apr 2011 at 11:49am
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:51am
Good advice cowpers....I thank you

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:57am
Good advice indeed Cowp'sThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic