UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.6dCi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

DPF Regen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC3604x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPF Regen
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 5:26pm
Ok I have had the car around two months now covering 1000 miles.

Great car, little short on power sometimes, especially when shift indicator tells you to change up whilst going up hill.

MPG driving in and around town has settled around the 51-52 mark and I had it up to 76 mpg on a run along M42 and M6, which settled at 69.9 upon my arrival.  I am happy with these figures and the fact £50 worth of V Power derv gets me more miles than the £77 of V Power unleaded I was using before.

Anyway, moving on.  How do I know if and when the DPF is doing a regen and how often does it do it??

Any ideas

Cheers 
Adam
2013 1.6 dCi 360 4x4
sandman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 6:00pm
I'm not sure you do know when it's doing a re-gen. Having had a 2012 1.6dci and covering 36k and a 2014 1.6dci currently at nearly 10k I can honestly say I have never noticed a re-gen occur.
Doing frequent runs and long journeys I suppose it does it automatically, the problem used to occur for those who did short and frequent stop/start runs without a good blast.
2014 Pearl Black Qashqai Premier Limited Edition 1.6Dci 4WD...Born on the 01/02/14 now with new carer on 27/6/16.
Proud owner of 2016 Pearl White X-Trail N-Tec
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 9:05pm
It seems odd that neither Nissan or Bmw (among others) give no indication of a regen,whereas a truck like Isuzu DMax indicates progress towards regen and when it occurs.
May I ask why use a diesel if you only cover 6000 miles per year?

Edited by Abh29 - 17 Sep 2014 at 9:06pm
Brian
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:55am
Probably the mpg..?? Ermm

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
ACC3604x4 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACC3604x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 11:10am
I have previously had derv cars as company cars - Bmw 120d, 123d, Fabia VRS.  I then changed jobs and went back to petrol Astra GSI, Type r civic, last car was a modified 2.0T vectra putting out around 268 bhp.

I tend to settle around the 9K-10K per annum, not 6k a year (assumptions being the mother of all .........)

Why did I come back to derv?  Well I was spending £175 per month on fuel getting to and from work, last two months have been £75 and £65, so erm, the saving.

Oh, and don't worry about the premium for buying a derv as this car was not the £19 - £20k advertised price, I got it for £15,000 (end of month push at Nissan to hit bonus!)

Smile
2013 1.6 dCi 360 4x4
F1 Bob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote F1 Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:10pm
A sstrong burning smell as if the brakes or clutch have over heated is a good indicator.
Tekna 1.5dCi in Nightshade
F stop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F stop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2014 at 9:59pm
F1 Bob. How often does the regen happen. The reason i ask is that mine qq has done 500 miles and i have had that smell you refer to. I put it down to new exhaust.?
Paul.
1.5 DCI Acenta Premium Pearl Black
F1 Bob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote F1 Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 8:08am
I think it will depend on your driving and the journeys you are making. Low speed short trips will require more frequent regeneration than longer high speed journeys.
I would think it might be as often as every 2-3 weeks if it's short trips from cold start and low average speed.
You indicated 1000 miles in 2 months so I would guess this is short journeys and would not be suprised if the regeneration has activated after 500 miles. Might be worth having a chat to the service department at your dealers to confirm this.
Tekna 1.5dCi in Nightshade
F stop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F stop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 9:56am
Thanks F1  Bob. I have had the QQ for just over a month. One week of that i was away on holiday. And the first week I was running my old car until it was sold. I live in a village so the car reaches operating temp quite quickly once out side the village. I will check with a dealer. 
Paul.
1.5 DCI Acenta Premium Pearl Black
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2014 at 1:40pm
I was thinking of installing LED somewhere on instrument panel to indicate when regen is ON Smile
I will share results with forum when done, however it won't be soon as my priority is now on other things (upgrade OEM audio).

oldmanyoung View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 9:49am
@duncho

Did you get anywhere with this?
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 11:20am
Originally posted by oldmanyoung oldmanyoung wrote:

@duncho

Did you get anywhere with this?

Not yet, but after studying the service manual it could happen that the trigger I wanted to use for regen detection may not indicate if engine is under a higher power load. I have to do some testing first, but most likely no earlier than in the summer.
QashRich View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QashRich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 7:28pm
You wont ever know when your car is doing a regen. It happens when the engine is operating temperature and doing a steady rpm for 15 ish minutes like a motorway trip, it just puts extra fuel in to heat up the DPF and turn the soot to ash. Diagnostics will tell you if you've had a failed regen (not finished before the engine rpm drops too low) and what your DPF soot content is (differential pressure sensors in the exhaust work it out). A regen wont happen if your engine management light is on.

I cant think of any way you'd get an LED to tell you a regen is happening as its just an ECU command. Maybe a temperature sensor on the exhaust would work. Why you would want to know is another matter... Tongue
2015 Qashqai 1.6 dig-t Tekna in gun metallic
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by QashRich QashRich wrote:

I cant think of any way you'd get an LED to tell you a regen is happening as its just an ECU command. Maybe a temperature sensor on the exhaust would work. Why you would want to know is another matter... Tongue
There is a way, during regen ECU activates thermoplungers (there are 4 of them) which if activated, I wanted to use for regen process indication.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic