Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > J10 Equipment, Extras, Add Ons and Aftersales
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Folding Door Mirrors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Folding Door Mirrors
    Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 9:29am
Hi - Does anyone know whether or not the electric door mirrors can be folded in manually (I'm hesitant to push and try).
I ask, because on my previous car with manually folding mirrors, I misjudged going into the garage and clipped the door mirror on the garage door frame. The mirror just nicely folded in, fortunately without any damage to the mirror. I've since put a soft edge protector on the garage door frame.

Cheers
19 Reg Tekna+ 1.3 Digi-T 160 Chestnut Bronze. My fourth Qashqai.
Beef View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 10:46am
HI Probyan,

There should be a switch located next to the adjustment knob for the mirrors that folds them both in and out!
1.5dci Tekna - Gun Metal - 15 plate
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Beef Beef wrote:

HI Probyan,

There should be a switch located next to the adjustment knob for the mirrors that folds them both in and out!

Thanks for the reply Beefy.
I fully understand you can (and I do) use the switch. The question I was asking was whether or not you could fold them in manually. What if somebody leaned against them or somebody deliberatly tried to push them in? Would the mechanism then be broken.

Cheers

Beef View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 1:24pm
Ah sorry mate - I did wonder but you never mentioned the switch :)

I have never tried, but one would assume you can just push them in, as that's what they're designed to do in the event of them being clipped!   You also push manual ones in on cars that have electric adjustments (i.e. move around via motor but not fold) so just push that motherchugger in :D
1.5dci Tekna - Gun Metal - 15 plate
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2010 at 2:26pm
yes you can close and open them manually if you close them manually when you turn on the ignition they will automatically open up again ,cool eh
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
anteg View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 5:12pm
To close them manually give them a bit of an open handed slap, they do need a bit of pressure.
Bye bye Nightshade 2.0 Petrol Tekna Squashy+2, Hello Magnetic Red 1.6 Diesel Squashy+2
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:08pm
Just noticed that when the door mirrors are folded in (either electrically or manually), the mirror on the drivers side sticks out about an inch more than the mirror on the passenger side.
Looks a bit odd when looking down from bedroom window.
Does Anyone else's do the same?

mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:09pm
Yep they are all the same probyanThumbs Up.

Edited by mohawk - 01 Oct 2010 at 5:10pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:16pm
Thanks Mohawk.  Good to know. I'll stop looking out of the bedroom window as it offends my engineering background.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2010 at 5:21pm
Same hereLOL .
On reflection if it was a left hand drive it would be fully closed and not noticeableErmm.
Must be to do with the Left hand drive majorityWink

Edited by mohawk - 01 Oct 2010 at 5:25pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
s30jok View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s30jok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:05am
Do the mirrors fold when you lock the car? or is this something you do before locking?
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 11:31am
If you fold mirrors in as you take key out then switch mirrors onto open position they open automatically when you put key in again.
londumpster View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londumpster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 10:19pm

But is there an option to fold the mirrors automatically every time the ignition is turned off??

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:43am
No, there is a thread about an obtune for doing that you will have to search for that
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 8:43am
Hi - Has anyone found any self adhesive protectors/guards that fit the folding door mirrors properly?
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 10:17am
I have chromed stainless steel top half covers - the best that Bulgaria can produce LOL

Saving up for the bottom halves now Wink 

Edited by G5 BOY - 14 Oct 2010 at 10:19am
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:02am
Them half covers look good.  Always thought they covered the whole of the mirror.  Was really looking for protection for a fiver rather than 30 plus.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:08am
Clingfilm maybe?

probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Clingfilm maybe?

Great idea.  Do they make it about 2mm thick? LOL

Seriously yours look so good I'm tempted.

Edited by probyan - 14 Oct 2010 at 12:04pm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:04pm
Go on..............you know it makes sense Wink.

probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:12pm
Off to sunnier climes at 4am tomorrow. 
 Will look at these covers again if any cash leftover.  Might work out how many bottles of Red Stripe they cost, divide it by 14 and then cut back the wifes  daily allowance by said amount.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:31pm
G5......How much do covers cost and where did you get them?
Can see you in the mirror taking photo LOL

Edited by HarryN-TEC - 14 Oct 2010 at 6:47pm
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:42pm
I'ts not me it's G5 harryBig smile
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
Opps Embarrassed
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:48pm
Thats it sorted now Mo.
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 3:15pm
Wink read about this somewhere...euro spec car i think it is has a camera or something like that on the mirror..thats why it sticks out more..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic