UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Electric Mirrors Intermittant Fault

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Mirrors Intermittant Fault
    Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:30pm
2010 1.5 dci QQ
Intermittantly, door mirrors won't fold electrically either from the cab manual switch or the "auto fold on lock" option as provided by the "acesdvds" add on kit which has been fitted since 2012 when I bought the vehicle.
Only occurs when the mirrors are in the out position, no fuse blowing has occured to date.
Only way to restore electrical operation is to manually fold in both mirrors then manually activate the "fold in" function from the cab switch, this starts up both mirror servo motors and after a bit of clicking and clunking to re-synch. the gearing the motors stop and can then be opened electrically as per normal operation.
Probably not doing the plastic gearing a lot of good by using this method but it's the only solution I can currently find.
I believe the issue appears to be asssociated with one or both of the mirrors internal position switches as manually moving the mirrors re-establishes operation after the mechanical re-synch. takes place.
Have tried manually parking only one mirror at a time when the fault occurs, no good, only works when both mirrors are manually parked.
Is it likely that both mirror position switches have gone at the same time or do both have to be satisified to complete the circuit, if so, which one is faulty ?
I don't believe that the issue is associated with the "acesdvds" add on kit as the cab manual switch will not work either.
Any suggestions welcome apart from the obvious two new wing mirrors solution.
Could live without the auto-park on lock function but can't get into my garage with the mirrors out, it's a pain to have to activate mirrors manually every day. 
MorkfromOrk View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorkfromOrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 12:56pm
Hi taffy,
I've just fitted an Acesdvds mirror kit to my qashqai and have had a similar problem with it which turned out to be a faulty control box.
I connected everything together & the auto function didn't work and neither did the manual switch in the car anymore
I got an auto-electrician to check my connections and after replacing the scotchloks with a soldered connection he said the control box was faulty.
I rang Acesdvds and he sent out another kit straight away, I changed over the control box & everything, auto-fold on locking/unlocking & the manual switch all work
I would suggest you disconnect the mirror kit & plug the original car harness back into the mirror switch, I did this and was able to use the switch to operate the mirrors again, hopefully you'll be able to get yours working
2007 Qashqai Tekna 2lt petrol awd,piaa horns,mirror kit, window kit.
tiffy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 2:24pm
Hi, many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes, certainly food for thought, I had contemplated returning the wiring back to the pre "acesdvds" conversion state, from other posts I know the two scotch-lock connections to the car wiring can be dodgy, however, as the mod. has been working perfectly since 2012 thought it unlikely to be an issue.
Of course anything electrical / electronic can go faulty at any time !

I am away from home next week but will certainly try your suggestions on my return and report the results, it's a relatively simple operation and if successfull I will be more than happy, certainly a cheaper option than replacement of one or both of the door mirrors.
The important thing to me is the ability to fold the mirrors for access / egress to the garage.

Obviously, the "acesdvds" kit is well past it's warranty period so would have no expectation of a free replacement should this turn out to be the issue.

tiffy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 4:16pm
Further Update:

Managed to get time today to disconnect the Acesdvds mirrors auto-operation mod. and return to original wiring state.
Noted now that the cabin open/close switch has to be held in the open/close position for the mirror transits to complete, probably normal, just can't remember as I fitted the mod. just after I got the car.
With the Acesdvds mod. active the open/close switch can be returned to the centre position and the mirror transit will complete automatically. (when it's working !)

Also noted that the Acesdvds, window closure on lock operation no longer works although these mods. were fitted separately, obviously, the modules must interact in some way.
Not a big issue for me, don't think I have ever used it other than in test mode.

As the fault has been of a very intermittant nature but recently happening much more frequently, only time will tell if the Acesdvds modification proves to be the source of the trouble, will post an update after a suitable trial period.

tiffy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 2:40pm
Further Update :

Nearly 3 weeks on, glad to report that my electric, rear view mirrors are still working perfectly from the dash open / close switch so it would appear that the issue was indeed with the Acesdvds auto-operation kit which remains disconnected, all wiring returned to original with the exception of the two "scotch -lok" connection points.
This is a good result from my point of view, I am quite happy to activate the mirrors manually from the dash switch, in my case I need to fold the mirrors to enter / exit the garage.

I suppose that there is a chance that one / both of the "scotch-lok" connection points could be faulty, scotch-lok's are notorious for this, perhaps I should access this area and re-make or solder the joint points, I do have the means to achieve this ?

However, currently just glad that the fault does not appear to be associated with one / both of the mirrors as replacement of this / these would certainly not be a cheap option.

If I ever get the motivation to re-make the scotch-lok connections and re-connect the Acesdvds kit will report the results.
alf abaka View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alf abaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:00am
If you do eventually need to replace the folding wing mirror unit, they cost ca. £350 for the genuine Nissan part. There are lots of aftermarket replacements available on eBay. I bought direct from Vehicle Precision in Gt.Yarmouth for around £60. (I've no connection with this firm other than as a customer, but found them good to deal with.) 
Apart from the fact that the lugs on my original front cover did not quite match those on the new unit and I had to apply cyanoacrylate glue to attach and that there is a bit of a "wobble"of the mirror unit relative to the support arm, the part is an excellent buy.
If you do go down this route , ensure you get the correct unit; there is the unit you will want with 7 control wires and also a device with 5 wires which adjusts and heats but does not fold. They initially sent the wrong unit, but replacement was trouble free, fast and obviously at their expense.
tiffy View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:55pm
Hi,

Many thanks for the information regarding 3rd party replacement wing mirrors, much appreciated.

Thankfully both mirrors are still operating perfectly from the dash switch, never had any issues since the removal of the Acesdvds kit, I am currently quite happy with that result, long may it last.
As I religiously garage the car and have to fold the mirrors for entry / exit it's quite important that they are electrically operational and certainly less hassle than folding both units manually.

I have noted your supply source but hopefully will not need to make use of this in the life time of the car which like myself is now getting on a bit !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic