UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > J10 Equipment, Extras, Add Ons and Aftersales
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - electronic handbrake - people use auto-off mostly?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

electronic handbrake - people use auto-off mostly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic handbrake - people use auto-off mostly?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:17am
Hi all -- I never had an electronic brake before.
So the question is this; stop at lights, apply brake, then when pulling away, just pull away and the hand brake disengages automatically - is this the expected normal way of using it, or is that going to cause excessive wear in something, and the normal way would be to manually pull the button to disengage the handbrake and only use the auto feature when hill starting off?

Appreciate the wise experience from the QQ community on this one.

ps. I don't really hate people that sit there with their foot on the brake pedal, as I know a lot of people do have auto's that is normal practice - but it amazes me when sitting in a bunch of traffic at traffic lights, just how many people sitting there floating their clutch and foot on brake... blinding in a lot of cases too!
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:42am
I was initially a doubting Thomas as regards the electronic handbrake, mainly because I had never tried it before and partly because we as humans are always weary of anything new. Well, now I can't be happier, Infact I am so spoilt now that I am afraid that I may never again want a car without this feature.
This is how I have noticed it works.
1. You can at anytime activate or deactivate the handbrake manually using the push/pull button .
2. The handbrake activates automatically whenever you come to a halt, shut off the ignition and pull out the key.
3 it does not activate automatically in a traffic stop unless you manually activate it if you want to rest your leg from the brake pedal but you do not need to remember to release it again as it does this automatically as soon as you attempt to start moving with force from the engine.
4. No need for the old practice to use your handbrake manually if you are on a steep slope as the 'hill assist function ' takes over and ensures you do not roll freely during the short interval before setoff.

Edited by Kenobi - 03 Apr 2014 at 9:46am
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:54am
Not sure on this myself, I actually find when I set off with the handbrake on and wait for it to auto disengage I end up nearly or stalling the car because of it because it takes too long to disengage, but that's my driving style, I'm quite aggressive with the clutch!

I find now in the QQ that I really miss the manual handbrake and I find myself sitting in traffic using the footbrake. Its annoying (but probably sensible!) that you have to reapply the footbrake before you release the handbrake.

If you stall, the handbrake auto applies. Not really an issue, but with the push button startup sequence, that takes time, then you have to wait for the handbrake to disengage you can be stopped for some time, where as with a manual handbrake you would be away quite quickly!

I also find the hill hold slightly annoying for the same reason, I find it holds onto the brakes for too long for me.

If I changed my driving style however, I am sure they would be ok!

Edited by SplanK - 03 Apr 2014 at 9:57am
2014 Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T Tekna
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
LightningMat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:16am
Originally posted by keefnet keefnet wrote:

So the question is this; stop at lights, apply brake, then when pulling away, just pull away and the hand brake disengages automatically - is this the expected normal way of using it, or is that going to cause excessive wear in something,

Can't comment on the QQ specifically (haven't got mine yet), but I did try it out on my test drive and it behaved as expected.  I have been driving a car with an electronic parking brake for several years now, and this is exactly how it is supposed to be used.  This will not cause excessive wear.

It does take a little bit of adjustment in your mindset to get fully used to, but once you have adjusted, you will soon grow to love it!
Qashqai first-timer... 1.2 DiG-T Tekna in Storm White... on order!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:24am
Originally posted by SplanK SplanK wrote:

I also find the hill hold slightly annoying for the same reason, I find it holds onto the brakes for too long for me.

I am convinced that the hill start assist feature is a "granny feature" - i.e. it is aimed at those people who just cannot do hill starts, who always roll back 2 feet before pulling off (which tends to always be old granny's, who are totally oblivious to what they just did!).  I think for the majority of people (who don't have a problem with hill starts), this feature should just be turned off!
Urrell View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:31am

Not sure on this myself, I actually find when I set off with the handbrake on and wait for it to auto disengage I end up nearly or stalling the car because of it because it takes too long to disengage, but that's my driving style, I'm quite aggressive with the clutch!

Could you not just release the handbrake yourself by pressing the button as you would with a normal handbrake instead of waiting for the auto release?
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Urrell Urrell wrote:

Could you not just release the handbrake yourself by pressing the button as you would with a normal handbrake instead of waiting for the auto release?

I could, and I am starting to do it. Annoyingly however to do so a task requires an additional step of applying the footbrake before it will allow you to release the handbrake!

Where as before I could do "all 3 jobs" in one swift and seamless action (adjust throttle, start bringing up clutch whilst releasing the handbrake)... Now I have to apply footbrake, release handbrake, then quickly jump over and sort out clutch/throttle!

I think the main problem is that its too slow to release!
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:11am
Originally posted by LightningMat LightningMat wrote:

I am convinced that the hill start assist feature is a "granny feature" - i.e. it is aimed at those people who just cannot do hill starts, who always roll back 2 feet before pulling off (which tends to always be old granny's, who are totally oblivious to what they just did!).  I think for the majority of people (who don't have a problem with hill starts), this feature should just be turned off!

I think its more to do with the fact they have introduced the electronic handbrake, it makes hill starts a little more tricky and with the requirement to apply the footbrake before you take off the handbrake is just a non starter really for hill starts!
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 12:06pm
Why on earth would one use hand break at traffic lights :p

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
Urrell View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by RayBanJockey RayBanJockey wrote:

Why on earth would one use hand break at traffic lights :p

I use the handbrake any time I'm stopped for more than a few seconds especially at night so I'm not shining brake lights into someone's eyes behind.
keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 1:07pm
When that does happen to me I want a reverse text on my sun visor saying "hand brake not working" in reflective letters (maybe not that wording either -- something more like "you like blinding people behind you"... or even worse )
With the really bright ones, I do tend to flip my visor down anyway... I am a sensitive creature
But hey-ho, thanks for all the responses - this is a cool forum to dispel any concerns.
tommyboi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 6:03pm
Having just returned from a long journey, I noticed the hill-assist for the first time - I really enjoyed the feature. My other car is an auto, so it feels quite natural for me to be "held" in place before applying the throttle. It is a little disconcerting not knowing if it will or won't hold you though - today I noticed it and the handbrake was applied automatically too at one point. I'm sure if I did the sensible thing and read the manual I'd understand when and where to expect it.
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by LightningMat LightningMat wrote:

Oy !! I'm a granny, I don't roll back I don't dawdle, I can parallel park   ....(Better than most young guys ) and I can slap legs and get away with it

Oh and I'll be sat with my foot on the brake.
Granny Tiff

Edited by Tiffany - 03 Apr 2014 at 6:17pm
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
marianda24 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marianda24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:05pm
Im with you on this one Tiff. Im not a granny although Im old enough to be. I also don't roll back on an incline and I don't need a Tekna to do my parking for me either as Im quite capable of doing that myself.

My last 3 cars have had electronic hand brakes and I think they're just fine and I do sit with my foot brake on at traffic lights as I drive an automatic.

Non-granny Gill
GILL
2014 New Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.6dci CVT (Ink Blue)
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 5:16am
Yeah hill assist completely owns, especially with a manual. It eliminates the single most annoying aspect of driving cars in my opinion. Knowing I won't roll backwards adds a whole extra level of comfort, and I'd wager the guy behind me would agree 100% 

Electronic handbreak, well I don't care either way really except it frees up more space in the cabin and I don't do much rally anyway. Feels a bit more modern I guess!

Not that I have QQ at all at the moment, but my current car has them and when/if I go back to a Qashqai I'd be happy to still have these functions.

---------------

Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:33am
Originally posted by RayBanJockey RayBanJockey wrote:

Yeah hill assist completely owns, especially with a manual. It eliminates the single most annoying aspect of driving cars in my opinion. Knowing I won't roll backwards adds a whole extra level of comfort, and I'd wager the guy behind me would agree 100% 

Electronic handbreak, well I don't care either way really except it frees up more space in the cabin and I don't do much rally anyway. Feels a bit more modern I guess!

Not that I have QQ at all at the moment, but my current car has them and when/if I go back to a Qashqai I'd be happy to still have these functions.

Have to agree .... Cabin looks much nicer without that monstrosity by your side
Tiff
keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 9:25am
Thanks for all the great comments. One other reason for asking is that I have a sloped driveway -- one time I had a Vectra and when I went out mid-morning I found my car halfway out in the road -- nobody thought to stop and ping my door bell -- hand brake was just naff on that car.

Anyway, nice to know there's some self confessing foot brake hoggers With an automatic I can understand that but if not, then having no respect for those behind blinded by your brake lights -- well! It's more with modern high end cars that's the problem as their lights are so bright... but they are probably automatic anyway.... oh well... don't get me started on the latest led driving lights that just bind you from the front - when I get my new QQ I'll join that group

ps. no grannie references from me....
Gun metal Tekna 1.5 DCi - crossover pack, plus chrome bling, bonnet protector,wind deflectors, twin-horn upgrade, AcesDVD auto-closing Mirror Kit, and retro fit mirror override :-)
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:34am
Haha, thought my comment might cause some backlash!... But couldn't resist posting it anyway!

No offence meant, so hopefully none really taken!! Hug

P.S.  And, yes, I am technically old enough to be a grandad myself (although far from collecting my pension yet!)
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 10:48am
None taken...   

Nah seriously ,,,,had a giggle at it

Granny tiff

Edited by Tiffany - 04 Apr 2014 at 10:48am
Urrell View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by wrote:

I do sit with my foot brake on at traffic lights as I drive an automatic.

Could someone please explain why (not) using the handbrake in an automatic is different to a manual when stopped in traffic?
At night or fog the brake lights are a real problem for those following?
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 12:03pm
In fact, does anybody know how to turn off the hill start assist, looked through the menu and cant see any option for it...?

Last night it rather annoyed me as I was stopped at a roundabout and it applied on the tamest of hills, prevented me from joining the roundabout when I wanted to (because IMHO, it holds on for far too long), in situations like this I think it could be dangerous!
marzeater View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marzeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 12:14pm
I lived with a auto handbrake for 4 years on my C4 Picasso before I bought the Qashqai. I have to say that it was one I really missed not having.
I had to learn to use manual handbrake again and admit a few times I left the car un braked.
2011 Magnetic Red 2.0 dci ntec
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 12:16pm
I have driven various automatics for many years now and always keep my foot on the brake pedal at lights in the D (drive )position. Everyone I know that has an automatic does this.

I am not sure of the reason why apart from it being by far the simplest method but maybe because most automatics do not have a manual handbrake (I know Qashqais do/did have one). Certainly my previous automatic Renaults did not have a handbrake so you had to keep your foot on the brake pedal. There was a manual override in emergencies but certainly not to be used at traffic lights. The auto handbrake only went on when the ignition was switched off, again not something done at every traffic light.

I think it is the nature of automatics to keep you brake pedal down at traffic lights, apologies in advance to anybody this offends.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 12:58pm
Sorry for starting something on this
It is interesting, at lest knowing that others feel the pain as well -- sitting behind bright red lights when educated drivers would invariably use their hand brake
That said, I drive a lot in the US and just accept it as mostly the cars there are auto's, so the lights don't bother me there -- weird, eh!
But driving an auto is somewhat different -- you run in drive mostly, unless actually parking up, so taking your foot off the brake requires you to put in in park (normally) and it'll roll a little if on an incline after removing your foot off the brake, then you have to apply the brake to then take out of park and put into drive before then heading off -- all a bit of a faff when normal driving you don't touch the stick so I accept that normally driving would be foot down on the brake whenever stopped but not parking up. When in an auto I never ever use the handbrake anyway - park seems good enough, at least all the rentals I had in the US.
I expect that applies to auto drivers in UK too.
My wife has an auto Peugeot 107 - that works a little different as you can apply the handbrake, as I do, and just take your foot off the brake i.e. don't put in in park - doesn't seem to mind that. She once turned the engine off when like that and couldn't then figure out how to start it -- I had to drive 10 miles to work out how to get back into park before then being able to start it -- not saying she was thick or anything, as I love her to bits, but that was so funny -- took me 5 seconds to figure out how to sort it.
Anyway - sorry for the rant but hope my explanation of why automatic drivers would typically not use the handbrake was OK.

Edited by keefnet - 04 Apr 2014 at 1:02pm
Gun metal Tekna 1.5 DCi - crossover pack, plus chrome bling, bonnet protector,wind deflectors, twin-horn upgrade, AcesDVD auto-closing Mirror Kit, and retro fit mirror override :-)
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 2:05pm
All the Automatics I've had in the past and all those I've rented have had hand brakes (or parking brakes). I've not known one to not have a parking brake. Most are hand operated but some (like in the States) are foot operated.
In this country (at least) you are supposed to use the h/brake when parking. Leaving an auto in Park is applying a lock to the transmission and i was always told this isn't good for the g/box, especially on inclines.
I know in some cities in the States you weren't supposed to use the h/brake or put the car in Park (on the flat) so the car could be moved forward or back. I'm guessing this isn't the case any longer. Parking on inclines you're supposed to turn the wheels to the curb (if facing down hill) or away from the curb (if facing uphill) to help prevent the car rolling away if the h/brake doesn't hold (the the Vectra mentioned)

PS, from the MOT manual:
Quote Vehicles certified as being designed before
1 January 1905and constructed before
31 December 1905 do not require a parking brake

Edited by mavrik64 - 04 Apr 2014 at 2:12pm
i owe, i owe, so off to work i go | 2014 1.6dCi Tekna 4x4 in Pearl Black
keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 2:22pm
Good advice on turning wheels in when parking on incline -- I wouldn't do that on my driveway otherwise the car would have ended up in an old stone wall
Also good advice on why it's probably not a good idea to buy a used automatic that was used for rental. I'll probably still avoid the handbrake when in the US though
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 2:35pm
Hi guys

Granny Tiff being mean again.

The thread is now 29 posts long, although it's quite interesting .I feel it should be moved to the appropriate section. Given   the time it took to move the last one I think ill lock this one ... ( for now) ask Craig if his admin status allows him to move the lot in one go.

All the members posting ( apart from 1 ) have contributed, and this section is for newbies to ask their first question.

If Craig opens it again then I'll stand corrected.

Bear with me for a while

Tiff

Edited by Tiffany - 04 Apr 2014 at 6:27pm
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:15pm
moved and unlocked :) , enjoy 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 6:25pm
Thanks Craig, that saved me a bit of work lol
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 7:06pm
Hill Assist? I really should get the manual out Tongue

Edited by mudds - 04 Apr 2014 at 7:08pm
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 7:47pm
Yep, it automatically applies it when on a hill, little green icon appears on the speedo when its activated.

Chances are you may not have noticed it as you may have thought it was the handbrake if you apply it
thRONe View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thRONe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:09am
Reading this thread makes me glad I cancelled my order for the 2014 model.

Modern electronics are taking all the skill and fun out of driving.

Soon you will just have to have the skill to sit in the drivers seat to pass the test.

I really enjoy driving my Qashqai, and want to maintain control over the actions needed. For those that want and/or need help, good luck!

Happy motoring (As it used to be called)

Ron the Luddite great granddad!!!!
1.6 Acenta Flame Red 2008
1.6 Acenta Cafe Latte 2010
1.6 Acenta Magnetic red 2012
From 1/9/14 VW Polo, £20 tax, handbrake, full size spare wheel, 0-62 in 9.3 secs
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:22am
Originally posted by thRONe thRONe wrote:

Reading this thread makes me glad I cancelled my order for the 2014 model.

Modern electronics are taking all the skill and fun out of driving.

Soon you will just have to have the skill to sit in the drivers seat to pass the test.

I really enjoy driving my Qashqai, and want to maintain control over the actions needed. For those that want and/or need help, good luck!

Happy motoring (As it used to be called)

Ron the Luddite great granddad!!!!

Well driving is still the same - it's the standing still bit that's easier now

---------------

LoopyLab View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoopyLab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 8:49am
Taking this point a little further.............the next Qashqai Model that will have auto start, auto drive, auto steer, auto stop, auto navigate etc...........will I be able to drink and eat at the wheel?
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by LoopyLab LoopyLab wrote:

Taking this point a little further.............the next Qashqai Model that will have auto start, auto drive, auto steer, auto stop, auto navigate etc...........will I be able to drink and eat at the wheel?

If you're lucky it may have an Auto feeder....LOL
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic