UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Engine Whine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Whine
    Posted: 08áAprá2014 at 7:56pm
Hey there.

Really hope someone can help or have some insight. I'm still new the the forum and have had numerous issues with my 2.0 Accenta 2009.

There's been a whine from my engine compartment and my Nissan dealer advised me that it was the Alternator clutch pulley. They also replaced the tensioner and fan belt after a long wait for parts. I was told numerous stories about the whole ordeal. After a 6 day wait, the car was returned but the noise is still prominent. The job was expensive, about $800. Seems that they have replaced the wrong parts.

I've put up a big fight with the dealer, and notified Nissan SA. Seems like no one wants to here the story. The dealer told me to bring back the car, basically so that they can start replacing other parts. At additional cost...What? My view is that they are inadequate and inexperienced in fault finding.

The noise is only there when I accelerate, especially in low gears, and picks up at higher rpms. It seems to be from a pulley or belt.

Any advice would be appreciated?
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 6:55am
IS the noise definitely coming from the engine bay and not through the speakers?

How loud is the whine? Just about audible, or really loud?

You don't mention the gearbox type you have?

Does the noise appear when the car is in motion only, or can you repeat the fault in neutral and revving the engine?

If the latter, What happens if you get somebody to rev the engine whilst you look at the engine with the bonnet up... can you pinpoint the rough location of the noise yourself?

In my experience of whining belts, the noise should be present when you accelerate up to high engine revs, but also still be present on de-acceleration as well.
2014 Qashqai 1.2 DIG-T Tekna
2012 Micra 1.2 DIG-S Acenta
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 8:34am
Is it a turbo diesel model? If it's only when you accelerate especially in low gears, isn't this just the normal turbo spooling whine, like a woo woo noise when you hit 1800 - 2000 rpm?
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 9:59am
Thanks for all the replies. Its the 2.0l Petrol model.

The noise is definitely coming from the engine, 99% its a pulley or motor of some sorts. It picks up from 2000 rpm and then gets louder.

It is a consistent whine, not to loud but does travel far for example when you are driving between buildings. And sounds more progressive when there is more pressure on the engine, so to say more refs. I'm not so sure the noise is there when downshifting and reducing refs.

My Qashqai has got the manual gearbox, but its not the gearbox or clutch itself. The noise is consistent in neutral, clutch in or out, when moving or stationary.

I took the car back to Nissan this morning, and also got Nissan customer care involved. Arguing why the 'wrong parts' were replaced in the first place.

Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 12:35pm
Sounds like a dry belt in your engine, also very common when a fan belt has began cracking.
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 12:44pm
You could always run the engine with no belts connected and see if the noise is still there?
i owe, i owe, so off to work i go | 2014 1.6dCi Tekna 4x4 in Pearl Black
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 12:53pm
or just splash a little water on the pulley belt and if this noise is due to a dry cracked belt then it will disappear temporarily.
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 6:12pm
Thanks again for all the replies. The good news is that Nissan will be refunding me for the some of the costs on the incorrect part repair.

Nissan rechecked the whole engine again today and their only solution/suggestion was to replace the intake manifold which is crazy expensive.... Mavrik64, they did do a test with no belt connected and the engine still had the same noise so they say. They also suggest that I get an second opinion all of sudden.

Does anyone know anything about the pcv valve/gasket? Supposedly they make the noise sometimes.  I saw a video on youtube.

Kenobi, where exactly does one pour the water on? The visible belts I saw was the fan belt?

mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 7:48pm
Splashing water on the drive belt lubricates it and would stop stop the noise if the source was the belt. If Nissan had run the motor without the belt and the noise is still there, then it's not the belt or anything driven by it.

Just swapping stuff until the noise goes is the stuff of fitters. I would expect a Nissan dealer to employ technicians that can diagnose faults properly. If a leaky intake manifold is suspected, there are basic tests they could perform to identify it. I'm thinking a second opinion might not be a bbad idea.
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2014 at 7:59pm
Mavrik64,

Stupid question but is the drive belt visible?

I would never guess that the intake manifold would make such a noise.

mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2014 at 10:30am
Drive Belt = Fan Belt. Just not called Fan Belt as they mostly don't drive Fans anymore. It should be visible, but modern cars being what they are it might be hard to get to. I've not had to check yet

Intake manifold can make strange noises sometimes, but most likely would be a valve of some sort that's attached to the manifold of a leaky vacuum pipe.
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áAprá2014 at 7:10pm
Just got some news back from a reliable mechanic in my area and he says the noise is coming from the timing chain, no question about it. Wonder why Nissan is making up all different stories??? Delaying the problem when I could have returned it to the orginal Nissan dealership where I bought it, but thats 1300km away. Ive written a letter to them explaining the issue since I've only had the car for two months now.

Any suggestion on how much it should be to replace it? And has anyone has held issues with their timing chain on the Qashqai 2L?
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 1:28pm
hum, I may be wrong, but i thought they had timing belts. These would make a very different noise to a chain...
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 1:39pm
*generaly* the dervs had belts and the petrols had chains...although I think recently that's changed, i'm sure the '14 QQ dervs are now chains?? I could be wrong though as I have not really looked at derv lumps in nissans for a while.

Saying that, chain timing chains would not usually whine when faulty, they tend to rattle, or cause the timing to be off (thus loss of power, and confuses the ECU with wrong signals from the Crank and cam angle sensors)

Replacing a timing chain is usually a fairly big job as a decent chunk of the engine has to be stripped down to gain access.

Is there any chance that a video could be taken and posted up for us of the problem and what you are describing which may clear a few things up?
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 2:57pm
An old trick is to use a long screwdriver or rod and with one end stuck in your ear, place the other end on different parts of the engine.  The noise source will vibrate the screwdriver and get louder as you get closer.

Be careful of moving parts though!
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 12:28pm
All Qashqai models have timing chains except the 1.5DCI. Here is a video that I've uploaded to youtube. The whine noise is actually louder when driving since its more high pitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XttThCToBF8

The last mechanic is sure that it is the timing chain. Let me know what you guys think.

Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 12:47pm
I just listened to your engine sound on YouTube and it sounds normal to me but let's hear other peoples opinions.
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 4:06pm
That to me does not sound like a bad timing chain, but at the same time there is something there that isn't right.

These are the noises I would expect from a screwed timing *chain*:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzuUvAnxmA

One that's really bad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi3U0zh1oIY

Again, here you can hear a rattle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEREjZJvkXg

However, I then refined my search and found these which sound close to what you are getting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZcgMvYqtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZlYDxNRz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJoNTmVOzU

Its plausible that's it not the chain itself, but vibration on the chain tensioner/guide that's causing the whine...

If all the belts have already been replaced, and there is no damage to the accessories they run then its plausible it could be the tensioner/guide that's faulty (it maybe plausible to run the engine without belts for a very short amount of time to verify that the fault is elsewhere).

Until you agree to have the engine stripped down enough to check, it will be difficult to tell with 100% certainty. On the older petrol engines, these were fairly easy to access without much strip down, but not sure on the modern engines.
Urrell View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Urrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 4:45pm
Sounds like it could be the Alternator to me, or something thats driven by the engine.
With the right sound diagnostic kit (or even a very long screwdriver) it should not take to long to find the source of it.
Unfortunately "mechanics" today replace modules, they seem unable to "Fix" anything Angry
T_Swarts View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Swarts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 5:54pm
Hi Splank, Thanks for the links, ive been looking for similiar videos. It sounds exactly like the second video link under the ones which sounds close to what I'm getting. Ive taken another sounds clip from outside the engine compartment that is more precise: https://soundcloud.com/surfrikan/nissan-qashqai-engine-whine-noise

Its not the alternator, since they did replace that already. Another honest mechanic did check and did say it could be the rails on the timing chain, he told me to speak to the dealer where I purchased the car which i am in the process of talking to.
Urrell View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by T_Swarts T_Swarts wrote:

Its not the alternator, since they did replace that already.

Ah, i thought they just replaced the "Alternator clutch pulley".
It sounded to me to be coming from within the Alternator.
SplanK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplanK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 6:56pm
Its very difficult to pin point a noise just from a video/sound clip.

Any number of items on the engine could produce this noise, oil pump, water pump, alternator, aircon, one of the idler pulleys.

Did they attempt to run the engine without the belt attached? Not quite sure whats run of it, but its one sure way to rule out an auxiliary item, or something internal to the engine. Generally oil pumps are internal to the engine these days and run of a chain drive of the crank/part of the cam chain so the only things generally left are alt (it will run off the battery), air con (not needed) and maybe water pump, so as long as its started, quick rev and shutdown to verify of the noise is still present or has gone, having the water pump disengaged for a few seconds wont do any harm.

Obviously running without a belt needs some research done BEFORE you do it to ensure that nothing super vital to the engine is needed (such as oil pump!!)

If noise is still there... then its internal and I would go with what your mechanic has said
If the noise goes, then its one of the items driven from the belt!

Edited by SplanK - 21áAprá2014 at 6:58pm
Hugh Jeffort View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Jeffort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2014 at 11:16pm
Just a thought and sorry if this has been suggested, I did just skim read, but with the AC off does it still make the noise? Mine has a worn AC compressor and when switched on sounds just like that. There is no noise when its switched off.
My friendly local Nissan dealer screwed mine up, I took it in because of squeeling under load and they just over tightened the drive belt, this has worn the compressor.
Pa7bp View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pa7bp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áMará2016 at 11:05pm
My Nissan is making the same sound, did you ever find out what the problem was? Many thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic