UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Faulty satnav after 2 weeks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna
Reading, Berkshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faulty satnav after 2 weeks
    Posted: 16áAprá2014 at 11:04pm
My new 2014 Qashqai 1.6 dci tekna has developed a satnav fault after only 2 weeks and 1000 miles. The system shows me several cars behind where I actually am and I am frequently supposedly driving through fields next to the main road or crossing houses and gardens. My dealer acknowledges there is a problem but won't book my car in as they are waiting for nissan uk to decide what's wrong and how it can be fixed. Apparently nissan know about the problem and I am not the only one. A fine car spoilt by a poor satnav system and even worse customer service.
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 1:53am
Sounds like your GPS receiver needs calibrating which is a software thing, there is no 2 ways about it as they either have to replace your gps unit or maybe solve the problem by updating it. Your dealer can't run away from the responsibility as you still have full warranty.
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
LightningMat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 12:48pm
That sounds immensely frustrating - But as Kenobi said, should be fixed by the dealer/manufacturer.  Keep pressing them to get it fixed - Let them know you expect this to be resolved.  Hopefully they will get their act together and get it sorted for you.
Qashqai first-timer... 1.2 DiG-T Tekna in Storm White... on order!
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 4:52pm
Slow down...

While I get your not happy its out, Nissan do know about this problem, and have issued a release to all dealerships to fix the problem lies in an out of date software patch.

It is a simple software upgrade, takes about 15 minutes.

All builds since early March are fitted at the factory with the fix, but some earlier builds slipped through.

If your dealership does not know about this or is not seeing it right it is them not Nissan who are poor, and need to "get their act together", you can then report them to Nissan CS if you want and then Nissan can further train them correctly.
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
anth View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 5:20pm
I'm not the sort of person who is usually on the side of the business/dealer, but in this instance I'm not sure what they are supposed to do?

Nissan are aware of this issue, but have not given the dealer a fix, so if thye took your car in they would simply be storing it for you, as there is nothing they could do. 

It may be worth you e-mailing Nissan UK directly though, as they are ultimately at fault. 

Hope you get it sorted soon though. Smile
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 6:12pm
Guys, how are we sure that nissan know of this issue, something the dealers have made us to believe? Is this SatNav failure with inaccurate gps tracking a known problem? This is the first time I am hearing of this problem and it would really pi$$ me off if mine starts to act up like this too
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17áAprá2014 at 6:20pm
If you want to know how much the updated cards are in a years time don't ask....😒

And I would hardly call them updated (see previous threads).....😒

They may have improved it but unless they go down the road of using Tom Tom or similar, I doubt it........😒

I hope to proved wrong.....😉👍
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
Akobalm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akobalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2014 at 11:49am
I have now been in possession of my new QQ for just over seven weeks, and due to an immense workload and an un scheduled trip to Italy, it has only been out on the road three times and has now covered one hundred and eighty one miles! I went to visit my mother yesterday, so decided to give it a run out. Put my mother's address into the satnav to see how the guidance system ticks and it hadn't a clue where it was until I was one mile from destination. On putting my home address in for the return journey, it was totally lost and informed me that I should turn back on my course until I was within one mile of my home, when it finally got back on track. At times it showed me as being two streets from where I actually was, and I was in the fields for most of the journey. My 2012 Nissan X-Trail played up in a similar manner when I first took charge of it and let me down big time in the heart of Glasgow, fortunately, I still had my old faithful Tom Tom 1005 which guided me to my destination.
I will inform the dealership today and take it back for the "fix" when possible, my QQ might not see the light of day again for a couple of months, depending on when I can get the time to deal with it. I have got to say, I love driving it, and I might retire at the end of my present project and put some serious miles on the clock!!!! Hope that all you owners of the new QQ are having a great time driving.
QQ Premier (#775/2007) as of 1st of March 2014, 2013 Ford Ranger for construction site work.
Will View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Reading, Berkshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áMayá2014 at 2:18pm
Since my original post I have had regular telephone calls with nissan central customer services who have been liaising with nissan technical services and my dealer. I am afraid that the satnav is useless - I was driving in the sea on the way to a funeral and simply cannot rely on it. Yesterday it shut down completely while driving along an A road and then rebooted and then said I was 30 miles away before correcting itself 10 miles later and again showing me about 30 yards behind where I was. This is not a simple software fix that nissan have contacted dealers about -- I am told they don't know why it happens and whilst I am not the only one nissan cs cannot divulge how common a problem it is. I was contacted on Thursday and told the dealership have now been asked to send some photos of the screens to nissans technical team. Why they have waited 6 weeks before doing anything ?? !!!
Akobalm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akobalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áMayá2014 at 10:38am
Hello Will,

I am in the same position as your good self, mine shows me driving through the fields from time to time, I was going to say through buildings and rivers, but I must be airborne at that time as I have not noticed any obvious damage to the vehicle. When the vehicle is parked in our yard and I save the present co-ordinates on the sat nav and name that spot as HOME, then drive out of the yard onto the road and ask it to guide me back HOME, it would take me on a journey of 72.4 miles, wow.
Nissan know all about the problem, but as yet, don't have a fix, luckily, I have a TomTom 1005 which is miles superior to the Nissan sat nav, I had to purchase it when my X-Trail sat nav played silly bu**ers from time, fortunately, I have known where I am going with my new QQ, so not a problem as I type from a lovely hot sunny climate many miles from the UK!!! My dealer has asked me to take the vehicle back to them, but I have not had the time, but I am sure that Nissan will come up with a fix in the not too distant future   

All the best,
                     John
QQ Premier (#775/2007) as of 1st of March 2014, 2013 Ford Ranger for construction site work.
Will View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Reading, Berkshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áMayá2014 at 7:38am
AT LAST !!!! - a technician from Nissan Europe visited my dealer and fixed my Satnav - apparently I was not alone, Nissan found a fix and the technician came and did something with the antennae and also the software - everything now works fine - just a shame that it took nearly 10 weeks to be fixed !
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áMayá2014 at 10:59am
Did you ask him what exactly was the problem and what was the fix in the software? A reinstall, new install ,software patch or more sensitive antenna?
ProfessorIB View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorIB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áJuná2014 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Will Will wrote:

AT LAST !!!! - a technician from Nissan Europe visited my dealer and fixed my Satnav - apparently I was not alone, Nissan found a fix and the technician came and did something with the antennae and also the software - everything now works fine - just a shame that it took nearly 10 weeks to be fixed !

Will

I am i the same boat with the sat nav - mine is a week old and wanders without any reason see here

Have you any detail on what the dealer did - replace and what the software update is called. Did the dealer give you any supporting paperwork? It would make it much easier for me to go in and specifically ask for it.

Sorry for bugging you but this is really bugging me!

Ian
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áSepá2014 at 10:28pm
It could be a poor GPS antenna causing the problem, meaning the receiver can't lock on to enough satellites to give an accurate position. 
There's not really anything you can calibrate with a GPS, they're entirely based on software analysing the difference in the timing of when signals are received from satellites - doesn't transmit at all. Once they've received all the satellite data - which is quite a slow process needing a good signal throughout - they'll set their clock and get the right position.

Of course, if the map data is rubbish it doesn't matter how accurate the position is if it's consistently wrong. If the position is wrong at home, check whether it's always wrong in the same way.
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
Akobalm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akobalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áJulá2015 at 10:05am
My 2014 QQ has just come back out of mothballs after pottering around locally for over a year, with an odd blast on the motorway from time to time.
The sat nav is a total disaster, the vehicle went in for it's first service in March this year and was kept for 2 days as one of the software updates would allegedly require an overnight plug in which would definitely sort the problem out.
However, on travelling up to prepare for my next job in the Glasgow area yesterday and seeing the vehicle reaching a total of 3000 miles on the clock, the sat nav was like a drunk trying to reach their destination, on two occasions it showed me as travelling high in the hills, and twice crossing the M74 Motorway and West Coast railway line at 90degs at points where there was no roads, let alone bridges.
So as of now, my trusty, million miles better TomTom 1020 will accompany me on future journeys as I just have not got the time to be messed about at the "local" Nissan dealership or any other come to that, best of it was, I had the opportunity to have the car serviced at the place where it was bought, but I decided to give the "local" one a try after experiencing total disaster with them a few years ago.
As soon as I finish my next contract on the M8 Motorway and I have time to spare it will definitely be "bye bye" Nissan.  
Will View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Reading, Berkshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áJulá2015 at 10:34am
Afraid I was so frustrated by rattles, satnav and poor customer service at local nissan dealer That i sold my 13 month old Qashqai - won't be buying another nissan that's for sure
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic