Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Folding Mirror Switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash.homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Folding Mirror Switch
    Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 2:28pm
I can't find a logical answer to this one. So thought I'd see what everyone thinks.

Why does the switch to fold the mirrors have three settings??

Top opens them (understand that)
Bottom closes them (understand that)
Middle (no point in my opinion!)

That middle setting seems to only be there so you can half open or close them. To me that makes no sense as you can adjust the mirrors themselves!

Anyone know why that setting is there?

(I hope it's not obvious and I'm just being dumb!)
2008 QQ+2 in Desert Silver (Beige!)
2.0 Petrol - best engine I've owned!
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 2:32pm
I wild guess.... To move them a tad to get past an object when moving ?

Now were both going to seem dumb lol...
2020 Qashqai 1.3 Dig-T 160 Tekna + DCT.storm white.
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
pennine15 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennine15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:52pm
If you use Acesdvd automatic mirror closer kit. Then you use the center position for automatic operation the other positions hold the mirrors closed permanently or open permanently.

Nothing against Dave and his fantastic after market kit, but it is a pity that Nissan never included it as part of the standard build, after all many other manufacturers do. And it is very useful, not only does it close the mirrors when you park and open them when you get back in - But you also know just by looking if the car is locked if the mirrors are closed. 
Qashqai 1.6 N-TEC+ 4x2 2012 Mineral Grey. Folding mirrors, auto windows & club sticker.
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 3:54pm
Flick in to the middle position, get out of the car hit the lock on the key fob, watch your roof rails....

...you'll see!
Mainly found at an office chair these days
ash.homer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash.homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 8:14pm
I see nothing?!? Is my leg being pulled??
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:34am
hmmmm........... do you have the glass roof?
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
ash.homer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash.homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:44am
Yes I have the glass roof, would something happen if I didn't?

I feel I'm missing out on something!!
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:57am
Iam also in suspenders

I have the auto close open kit fitted,but unless the switch in the middle position auto closes the roof cover when the car is locked?
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by bryan3 bryan3 wrote:

Iam also in suspenders

I have the auto close open kit fitted,but unless the switch in the middle position auto closes the roof cover when the car is locked?

Posh bugger lol
Is that OEM or one of of Dave's ?

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Feb 2015 at 12:23pm
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:29pm
Tbh
I don't know?

Tina bought it for me for Christmas. Quality bit of kit either way,very oem looking wire,connectors and relay.
Me posh.!!!!
Kettle....pot I fear,who is driving the j11
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:39pm
But I don't have posh, folding mirrors
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:49pm
Sorry everybody I couldn't resist! I just wondered how many people would try!

Mainly found at an office chair these days
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:50pm
Smacked legs for you, Frankie
ash.homer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash.homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 12:57pm
I spent at least 2 minutes looking at the roof thinking I was missing something! 

So I'm still none the wiser what that middle setting is for Ermm
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by ash.homer ash.homer wrote:

I spent at least 2 minutes looking at the roof thinking I was missing something! 

So I'm still none the wiser what that middle setting is for Ermm

Come on guys.... Help ash out with his question.
Wheelie Bealie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelie Bealie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 1:02pm
It's what's commonly known as a p!$$ take, it does nothing...
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
HEWN99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HEWN99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:27pm
Ash,
top,  ;               you  put your mirrors out
bottom;            you put your mirrors in
middle               you do the OKEY KOKEY and turn around

beware, you might be on candid camera
57 Acenta 1.5dci Urban Silver / 08 Tekna 1.5dci Fired Iron / 10 Ntec+2 1.5dci   Mag Red
12 Ntec+2 1.6dci Flame Red / 14 Tekna 1.5dci   Flame Red / 16 NConnecta 1.5dci Flame Red
pennine15 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pennine15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 3:18pm
If you use Acesdvd automatic mirror closer kit. Then you use the center position for automatic operation the other positions hold the mirrors closed permanently or open permanently.

Nothing against Dave and his fantastic after market kit, but it is a pity that Nissan never included it as part of the standard build, after all many other manufacturers do. And it is very useful, not only does it close the mirrors when you park and open them when you get back in - But you also know just by looking if the car is locked if the mirrors are closed. 
Qashqai 1.6 N-TEC+ 4x2 2012 Mineral Grey. Folding mirrors, auto windows & club sticker.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 4:01pm
I don't think there actually is a middle setting? The top and the bottom are the actual functions, the middle is just OFF.

Which begs the question are the other settings permanently ON, i.e. if you have left it in the open position whilst driving along and someone knocks your mirror closed will it automatically open immediately because the switch is still on.

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by PR07HET PR07HET wrote:

Sorry everybody I couldn't resist! I just wondered how many people would try!

Am I the only one who realised Frankie was pulling your leg?, didnt my post afterwards give you a clue? LOL
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
ash.homer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ash.homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:05am
I was tricked! I thought I'd be seeing something amazing.

It's been a long week...Big smile
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 9:15am
AcesDvds View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcesDvds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 4:25pm
PMSL nice one Mr Frankie
Ian Dee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:12am
Not sure if this is re,Evans but a) there is a button to fold the mirrors. Surely it's just a habit to get used to - press the button when ,raving the car. They close B ) the 2 little arrows are to 'switch' from right to left mirror for adjusting.
Ian Dee -
2014 Acenta Premuum 1.2 Petrol Manual Red
Ian Dee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 7:14am
Not sure if this is relevant but a) there is a button to fold the mirrors. Surely it's just a habit to get used to - press the button when ,raving the car. They close B ) the 2 little arrows are to 'switch' from right to left mirror for adjusting.
Ian Dee -
2014 Acenta Premuum 1.2 Petrol Manual Red
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:40am
It is a habit you could get used to but the main reason for me having the auto fold kit it so you can tell at a glance from a distance if the car is locked or not - mirrors folded in, car locked, simples Smile
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 12:11pm
Yes - I find that handy too Clap.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
nitromax View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitromax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 2:12pm
hello everyone,

Regarding Mr Frankie comment.

Is there a way to wire up the panoramic blind so that when you lock the car the blind auto closes.

I have the auto close for the mirrors and windows, would be nice if the car could do this.

1.2 N-Tec + DIG-T CVT 2016, Gun metal Grey; Bonnet Struts, Mud Flaps, Thinkware F770 Dash cam, Cellink B Battery,fold mirrors, Auto closing windows, Door Sill guards, Safego 72w H11 LED Headlight Kit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic