Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Glow plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow plugs
    Posted: 12 Dec 2017 at 8:13pm
This morning the temperature was down to -8. The glowplug light only came on for a few seconds before going out and when I turned the starter the engine barely fired. Second attempt engine fired but cut out as soon as I released the starter. Third time engine fired but I had to give it some gas to keep it running. Is there any way to increase the preheat time or is there a fault in the glowplug relay?  If the engine hadn't started on the third attempt I was considering the old school method of holding a burning newspaper to the air intake.
If there is a fault in the relay would it show a code on an obd reader? 
Targetmark View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:11pm
It sounds like one of your glow plugs is past its best. Had the same problem last winter, had plugs changed. No promblems even with the recent bad weather.
Hope this helps.
Now I like driving.
Harrymac View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:48pm
Have ordered ODB scanner and app for my phone so will run tests at the weekend. Only done 36,000 miles so suspect more likely to be control unit / relay.

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 1:53pm
My J10 was similar, OBD threw up a glow plug/circuit error.

I replaced the relay unit as it was cheap and easy to do, but it made no difference so I assume it was the glow plugs themselves that needed changing.  Lived with it after that as I was quoted £200+ to have them changed.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
zh875 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zh875 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
Sounds more like a fuel problem.  If a diesel engine fires then it is quite able to continue firing after the start key is released due to compression.

If diesel fuel gets too cold it goes 'waxy' and doesn't flow or vapourise very well.  Try adding a small amount of Kerosene to the diesel to prevent it going waxy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic