UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Interior.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

guide to removing a j10 steering wheel please?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: guide to removing a j10 steering wheel please?
    Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 5:43pm
Hi guys
As above,does anybody have a guide to removing (and refitting) a 2013 j10 steering wheel?

I'm looking into having the wheel re trimmed by royal steering wheels (thanks to another members post and picture) and as they are miles away in alysbury a trip to have it fitted is not going to happen,but they will do and send a wheel to my spec and then give me 14 days to return the original.
As the car sits on the drive mon - Friday, all I need is some idea how to get the wheel off.
All help or comments welcome.
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:27pm
You know that an airbag and the explosive within can be dangerous, don't you?

However, in case you know what your're doing:

Edited by Udo2009 - 29 Dec 2015 at 6:31pm
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
Why is it this d*mn complicated to attach pics to a messages with this forum programme???

I'm trying now for several minutes to attach a few screen shots - the "tree" above the editor window to attach pictures doesn't even react any more....Angry

uploads/12620/ST-9.jpg  uploads/12620/SR-4.jpg  uploads/12620/SR-5.jpg  uploads/12620/SR-6.jpg uploads/12620/SR-7.jpg uploads/12620/ST-9.2.jpg

Edited by Udo2009 - 29 Dec 2015 at 6:40pm
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 7:12pm
Thankyou for that
Yeah I know air bags are not nice,so I intend to disconnect the battery for an hour before I start any disassemble.
Losi_8_boy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losi_8_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:03pm
It's pretty simple. I'll get you a link to a navara I think it is but it's pretty much the same. You will be having my old wheel ( don't worry it's mint ha ha)

http://youtu.be/sjDv-IYVPP0

G5 did a bit of link livening Big smile

• post options
  • edit post
  • highlight the link
  • click the globe icon above the edit box
  • click OK
  • bingo!

Edited by G5 BOY - 30 Dec 2015 at 9:07am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losi_8_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:08pm
Go on you tube and search qashqai steering wheel removal
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:18am
Lost_8_boy
I sent them the picture you posted and asked for the rim to be a bit thicker(they said it could be 2mm thicker than yours),other than that and grey stitching mine will be your twin.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losi_8_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:56am
Cool.... G5 BOY it wouldn't let me edit, just keeped loading. Thanks
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm
Well that went well.
Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and went back inside for a brew.
Back outside 20 mins later and this time armed with a flatblade screwdriver
Insert said screwdriver into the 2 small holes in the rear of the 3 & 9 o'clock spokes on the wheel and feel for resistance from a metal cage that is clipped over a hook cast into the spoke and 'push' and wiggle
The airbag and steering control pop up and can be removed after undoing 3 wire connections (seems all car brands use yellow plugs for airbags) then a 19 mm nut to undo and the steering wheel comes off.
20 mins max.

Now to order the recovering spec and get the wheel sent off.
(done on a 2013 j10,bit I bet a j11 is the same procedure)
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 10:32pm
I came home today to find my wife had taken delivery of a box containing the new steering wheel
I did my man maths and decided to buy a wheel outright from royal steering wheels(£30 extra) as then I can keep the original should I ever want to refit it,this also saved £15 sending it back to them by recorded 24 hour delivery.

So I did what any self respecting bloke would do,got a torch and fitted the new wheel in the dark and rain

Had a mild shock when the satnav/radio asked for a code (fortunately it was in the handbook case in the glovebox) and it took 10 mins to refit the wheel.

So while not the best picture,it shows the original wheel next to the newly retrimmed wheel (thicker rim,black nappa leather top and bottom,perforated leather on sides and dark grey stitching.

And it feels so much nicer than the original wheel

Edited by bryan3 - 27 Jan 2016 at 7:23am
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 5:44am
Very nice Bryan
Great keeping old wheel, man math.....
Tiff
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
ChrissH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:45pm
Looks nice :)

How does it work with the steering wheel controls etc? Is it all the same and does the airbag fit as normal? 
Chris -
1.6 Acenta Gun Metal Grey, 12 Plate
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 4:02pm
ChrissH
You swap over your original air bag,that also joists the steering wheel controls
And in my case the black rear housing on the left wheel(just unclipped and clips in.
The airbag module has 3 wire connectors,1 yellow for the air bag and 2 gray for the steering wheel controls and control lights.
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 10:39am
Bryan,

I'm looking to do this in the next few weeks, and like you would like to get the thicker steering wheel. Do you know what was the maximum thickness you could have?

Also, did you have to use a steering wheel puller to get your old steering wheel off, or did you manage to 'wiggle' it off?
2012 1.6dci Tekna in Mineral Grey
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 12:15pm
Hi humming
The wheel came off with a little 'wack' from behind with both hands(just keep the nut on to stop the wheel taking your teeth out
Royal steering wheels told me I could go 3 mm thicker max so that's what I went with.
Getting the air bag off was a bit of a worry for me,the steps I followed were.
Find and keep you radio code.
Disconnect the battery (I did both red and black leads) and leave for 30 mins

Using a decent size (as big as the hole will allow) insert into the holes behind the wheel (2 of them) and push up (you have to imagine you are unhooking a clip over a cast hook,the air bag will move a couple of mm as you unlock each clip.
When both a done you can pull the airbag and steering wheel controls off the wheel,BUT,BUT,remember there are 2 connections on the back,1 is the airbag wire and the other wire is the buttons,unlink both,remove airbag and tackle steering wheel nut.

You don't need to have the wheel centred,as there is a mark on the spline,matches a mark on the steering wheel splined hole.
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 9:10pm
Nice addition and something I think a few of us will look at doing! I was going to mention about putting match marks on the wheel, but if they're already on the splines then thats a bonus.
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 8:03am
Bryan,

Thanks for the information.

I emailed royal steering wheels this weekend so I should be putting the new one on soon.
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:55am
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would update it with the fitting of my newly recovered (and thicker) steering wheel.

Fitted the new steering wheel this weekend, taken a bit longer to happen because I had to go with Designls instead of Royal Steering Wheels.

Anyway, when I took the steering wheel off I noticed that the marks on the steering column did not match up, so I marked the position with a pen to enable the correct refit in the same position. The steering wheel was only one notch away from the marked positions.
I mention this because of the previous comments of using the existing markings amy not be valid in all cases, and it would be advisable to check the steering wheel position before taking it off.

I did find this strange as I have had the car for 16 months and never had any problems with tyre wear, pulling to one side or the other, and the steering wheel is centered when on a straight road.

Anyway, job done and pleased with the result.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic