UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > In Car Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Hanging a TomTom of the air vent - Don't

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanging a TomTom of the air vent - Don't
    Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:45am
I know most people here wouldn't spoil the nice lines of the QQ by hanging a TOMTOm off an air vent. However, just is case anyone out there is considering this - don't. I tried it (TOMTOM air vent device) and it forced the little arm off the internal flappy thing (inside the vent). This caused the vent to stop working. Had to take the thing to bits to repair it - all okay now.

The QQ air vent is not robust enough to be used to hang devices from.

I have now hard-wired my TOMTOM and attached it with a sticky disc to the right of the steering wheel. I'm sure connect users will be shocked but it looks pretty neat to me and it does all the nice things a TOMTOM does.

Acenta 1.5 dCi

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 1:46pm
Those air-vent things always were a pain. Sometimes they work great, but usually they're floppy, soft things that never quite hold the phone where you actually *want* it
Sixa View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sixa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 1:59pm
This must be one of the reason every R32 Skyline on the planet has busted air vents

that and those stupid cup holders the japs put on the vents
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 2:49pm
don 't forget those silly bottles of air fresheners that hang off the air vents. I smashed the vent on my Lexus with one, and the liquid syphoned out and wrecked the surface.

Of course that was in my smoking days.
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 10:42am
Originally posted by MJJ MJJ wrote:

I know most people here wouldn't spoil the nice lines of the QQ by hanging a TOMTOm off an air vent. However, just is case anyone out there is considering this - don't. I tried it (TOMTOM air vent device) and it forced the little arm off the internal flappy thing (inside the vent). This caused the vent to stop working. Had to take the thing to bits to repair it - all okay now.

The QQ air vent is not robust enough to be used to hang devices from.

I have now hard-wired my TOMTOM and attached it with a sticky disc to the right of the steering wheel. I'm sure connect users will be shocked but it looks pretty neat to me and it does all the nice things a TOMTOM does.

Pictures???
How To??

Come on MJJ - its all about sharing.... LOL
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 10:30am
Is there any other available contraption to hold a mobile phone other than air vent type or sticky type? After reading this I'm loath to fit my air vent holder, but would like something to hold my Blackberry in sight as I have a stack of numbers in memory and don't really want to have to programme them into the radio.
2009 1.5 DCi Acenta, Grey
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 10:48am
Yep. You could try a brodit clamp.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 5:00pm
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 6:09pm
bluetooth beaten by rubber band   brilliantLOLLOL
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:36pm
Yep would be great to here who you hardwired the tomtom within your qashqai, was going to do this last week and thought it was just a case off cutting of the cig plug and wiring it into a 12v supply but I see the voltage was reduced from within the plug.

any help / pics would be great.

cheers
2008-Qashqai Acenta( blue 1.6 ) & 2009 - Qashqai n-tek ( silver 1.6 ) within the family !!
Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

Yep. You could try a brodit clamp.
Never heard of these before today but they look brilliant, thanks
w1zzer View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1zzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:39pm
Here's one with an ipod adapter bolted to it
Sep 2011 Qashqai 1.5dci n-Tec New Flame Red. AFMC
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 11:52pm
Brodits usually offer a neat, secure way of mounting your device. Be it an ipod, smartphone or tom-tom. They offer specially made brackets for most cars to screw into existing fittings (typically round air vents, or the stereo) and then you have a mounting for the actual device in question.

If you've going to keep the car for a few years, they're a good investment which is soooo much nicer than rings from a tom-tom!
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 12:03am
http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

Have a look. Basically you choose your mounting bracket (there are a few options for the Qashqai, each only around 15 quid). Then you choose a holder for your particular device (prices very) which will come with a power lead of either that "fag lighter" or "bare wires" sort, which can be used to attach the TomTom to the dash. I reckon that's not too bad, if you're planning to keep the car and get some use out of the stuff.
mini_mad_paul View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_mad_paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 6:43pm
I've ordered a few things from DSL this week so I can mount my iPhone (with tomtom app) into my new car.

Their eBay store is often cheaper, and their customer service is excellent!
2009 Cayman Blue Qashqai 1.5 Tekna Avg 41.1mpg - Born: 15/05/2009 - Died: 31/05/2012
2012 Ford CMax 2.0D Titanium Powershift Avg 37.7mpg - Born: 01/06/2012 - Died: 31/05/2015
Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 11:36am
Ordered and all, I'll post pics once arrived and fitted, cheers
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 12:17pm
Any info regards hardwiring this Tomtom ??
2008-Qashqai Acenta( blue 1.6 ) & 2009 - Qashqai n-tek ( silver 1.6 ) within the family !!
Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:53pm

Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:54pm

Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 9:55pm
Brodit holder received and fitted, took longer to fit the Blackberrycradle to the base unit than it took to fit it in the car. Good quality units and money well spent, thanks 2fat2bald!
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by jono400 jono400 wrote:

Any info regards hardwiring this Tomtom ??

A word of warning about hardwiring, 

One thing you mustn't do is cut the cigarette lighter bit off, the mini-usb that plugs into the TT is only 5 volts, the voltage is reduced in the bit that you plug in.

There were loads of people doing this on PGPSW and frying them by sticking 12 volts through them!
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 8:37pm
Does anyone know if you can get a Universal Holder for the Brodit Mounts.

I rang DSL, and they don't do one - instead they say you have to buy a specific cradle for each phone (3 in my case) and some adapter that allows you to swap to each one at a further £12.00.

All in all that would be circa £90.00!!
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 9:17pm
You could ask Brodit themselves.

http://www.brodit.com/contact.html?pn=cont&sm=cont

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 9:22pm
Thanks for that. I'll email them.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 10:05pm
What do you mean when you say a "universal" holder?

I suppose it would be possible to build a cradle that was designed to hold something "phone shaped". What you could do (I guess!) is to buy a proclip without the cup part. And then attach one of those magnetic phone holders to the flat surface of the proclip?

Not ideal. But it would work, I guess. It wouldn't charge the phone, though. But you could use a faglighter thing for that.
Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 10:51am
Could you not mount part of an adjustable air vent holder to the Brodit base. My old air vent holder expended to fit different widths.
stewartg View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 4:29pm
I have a brodit  - iPhone, that came with my Qashqai. Has all the harnesses to hook into the 6 CD changer. Is currently sitting in the cupboard here if anyone feels their lives would be improved by it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic