Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai 2014 - > Qashqai 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Hard wiring Dash Cam in 2014 QQ with pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard wiring Dash Cam in 2014 QQ with pics
    Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 6:13pm
Hi all,

I would like to hard wire my dash cam into an ignition fuse so it turns off when the ignition is off (as 12v remains on), is this a difficult job do you think on a 2014 QQ? Im not experienced with auto electrics but have a friend who is pretty good. Ive not looked at the manual yet (typical bloke!) so wanted to get an idea from you good people.

Thanks in advance!

edit: I've now completed the job and included a couple of pics for illustration.

Edited by mudds - 13 Apr 2014 at 7:36am
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:23pm
It will be the same as I hard wired my footwell lights.
Step 1: buy a 12v dash camera, a suitable wire length and a mini fuse piggy back adapter.
Step 2 : open your fusebox and locate the supermini 10 amp ignition power fuse that originally sits there .
Step 3 remove the super mini 10 amp fuse and insert the piggy back adapter.
Step4 :insert normal mini 10 amp fuses into the empty piggy back slots.
Step 5: connect the live red wire of the cam to the piggyback adapter wire-out lead.
Step 6 : loosen any screw or bolt under your dash or holding your fuse box to the cars metal frame , wrap the ground wire (black) around the screw or bolt and retighten it.
Now you dash cam will turn on whenever the ignition is on.

Any automobile mechanic can do this for you for a little fee.
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:41pm
Ive got a new transcend drivepro 200 dash cam so hoping to get this sorted so I can free up the 12v. Many thanks for the advice sounds straight forward (not that I'll attempt it on my own!)

Thanks for the info.
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 9:46pm
Could use that workshop manual Frankie ☺
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:26am
I keep pestering the powers that be... :(
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 6:00pm
I would just like to point out, Point No. 5 above is not entirely correct.

Most 12v cigar socket plugs will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, ie the same as a computer USB. So basically if you want to hard wire it you will need to buy a cigar lighter socket and connect that to the ignition live. It you cut the cigar plug off you will fry the board in the camera.

I know quite a few people who did exactly that with a Garmin Streetpilot sat nav a few years ago. (I wasn't one of them BTW) Wink
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by andspenka andspenka wrote:

Most 12v cigar socket plugs will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, ie the same as a computer USB. So basically if you want to hard wire it you will need to buy a cigar lighter socket and connect that to the ignition live. It you cut the cigar plug off you will fry the board in the camera.

Unless i am missing something No one said anything about a 12v cigar socket ,hence  it has nothing to do with a 12v cigar plug.

He wants to connect a 12v Dash camera and the 10amp Ignition Fuse slot in the fusebox delivers exactly 12V (i just checked last week with my Voltmeter when i myself did an installation)

andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Kenobi Kenobi wrote:

Most
12v cigar socket plugs will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, ie the
same as a computer USB. So basically if you want to hard wire it you
will need to buy a cigar lighter socket and connect that to the ignition
live. It you cut the cigar plug off you will fry the board in the
camera.

Unless i am missing something No one said anything about a 12v cigar socket ,hence  it has nothing to do with a 12v cigar plug.

He wants to connect a 12v Dash camera and the 10amp Ignition Fuse slot in the fusebox delivers exactly 12V (i just checked last week with my Voltmeter when i myself did an installation)

Unless the camera is designed to be hard wired it will more than likely come with a cigar lighter plug on it.

My point was,

With the info you wrote above, he might have cut the lighter plug off. (No offence Mudds but you did say you weren't experienced). If the camera wasn't designed to be hard wired the cigar lighter plug will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, therefore cutting it off would send 12 volts into the camera.
QQtoo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQtoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 2:55pm
Something to bear in mind is the MOT rules on having things affixed to your windscreen. I believe anything affixed to the windscreen at MOT time is a failure. - I have heard of Sat Navs and Magic Trees being the cause of a failure - because they could obstruct the view.

Appreciate that a 2014 QQ won't need one for a few years though!

2011 QQ+2 in Nightshade
jonceebee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonceebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 3:27pm

It will be the same as I hard wired my footwell lights.
Step 1: buy a 12v dash camera, a suitable wire length and a mini fuse piggy back adapter.
Step 2 : open your fusebox and locate the supermini 10 amp ignition power fuse that originally sits there .
Step 3 remove the super mini 10 amp fuse and insert the piggy back adapter.
Step4 :insert normal mini 10 amp fuses into the empty piggy back slots.
Step 5: connect the live red wire of the cam to the piggyback adapter wire-out lead.
Step 6 : loosen any screw or bolt under your dash or holding your fuse box to the cars metal frame , wrap the ground wire (black) around the screw or bolt and retighten it.
Now you dash cam will turn on whenever the ignition is on.

Any automobile mechanic can do this for you for a little fee.
Thanks for the advice but could you let us know "Step 2 : open your fusebox and locate the supermini 10 amp ignition power fuse that originally sits there" exactly how you identify this fuse as to which one it is.On my last car I wired it via my rear windscreen wiper fuse, what component have you added yours too. Thanks Jon
New Qashqai 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White.Chrome front lip finisher,Chrome Side Sills, Chrome Glass Finisher,Chrome Lower Trunk Finisher,White Side Mouldings,WhiteAlloyGaytors,Cross Over Pack,Deflectors
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 5:42pm

If the camera wasn't designed to be hard wired the cigar lighter plug will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, therefore cutting it off would send 12 volts into the camera.

You are correct but no problem in this case, the Transend dash cam model he mentions is actually 12 v as lists in its technical specification.
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 5:47pm
Quote Thanks for the advice but could you let us know "Step 2 : open your fusebox and locate the supermini 10 amp ignition power fuse that originally sits there" exactly how you identify this fuse as to which one it is.On my last car I wired it via my rear windscreen wiper fuse, what component have you added yours too. Thanks Jon

Simple, it's labelled on the inside of the fuse box cover

The fuses are illustrated and labelled as they are in real life. You do not have to use that particular slot , any one that you are sure supplies 12 v and is controlled by the ignition is also good enough. I only mentioned that example because I used it myself and checked it just some days ago and it will fit your requirements which were similar to mine.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 8:22pm

If the camera wasn't designed to be hard wired the cigar lighter plug will reduce the voltage down to 5 volts, therefore cutting it off would send 12 volts into the camera.

You are correct but no problem in this case, the Transend dash cam model he mentions is actually 12 v as lists in its technical specification.

Maybe you should re-read it then Wink

Specifications:

Sixty-seven millimeters × 72 millimeters × 34.3 millimeters Dimensions 
Weight eighty-four grams 
Display Type and Size 2.4 "color LCD 
Image sensor CMOS Low-light Sensitivity, 3 Mega-Inches 
F/2.0 Lens, 160 ° Wide angle 
3-axis G-Sensor 
Built-in Microphone 
Speaker Built -in 
Resolution / Frame rate Full HD (1920x1080) 30FPS 
HD (1280x720) 30FPS 
Video Formats. MOV (H.264 Compression Format) 
Support MicroSD MicroSD, 8GB/16GB/32GB (Class 6 or above) 
Connection Interface USB 2.0 
Network Interface Wi -Fi 802.11b/g/n 
Wi-Fi WPA2 Encryption 
Power Supply Input: DC 12V ~ 24V 
Output: DV 5V one amps 
Operating temperature 0 ° C (32 ° F) ~ 65 ° C (148 ° F) 
Certificates CE, FCC, BSMI 
Note On some Cars, Lighter Socket Continues to Provide the power is switched off after the Engine. If this happens, unplug the DrivePro 200 Idling When the Engine is off or power consumption to Reduce and Prevent any unexpected problems UNNECESSARY.

It is 12 volts input but like I said, the camera only works off 5 volts.

keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 8:59pm
Yep - looking at pictures of the camera, the DC IN is a mini-usb socket so will be 5V.
I have a different camera and the voltage from the adapter was around 5.5V through the supplied USB cable/adapter combo. Now when I tried a different adapter, the voltage wasn't as high and the camera just power cycled and never stayed on. Just something to bear in mind that if you do plan to hardwire a separate accessory socket, I'd keep to using the supplied adapter that came with the camera.
Obviously your camera might not require the slightly higher voltage mine appears to need -- mine has built in forward facing camera and external rear facing I have wired back to the rear screen.

So, I think andspenka's advice is good -- you'll need either an adapter that produces the 5V required to mini USB, or have a flying accessory/lighter type socket you could wire in and then hide behind a panel somewhere and plug the adapter in that came with the camera.
Gun metal Tekna 1.5 DCi - crossover pack, plus chrome bling, bonnet protector,wind deflectors, twin-horn upgrade, AcesDVD auto-closing Mirror Kit, and retro fit mirror override :-)
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:02pm
Thanks for pointing that out. My bad.
I only noticed the voltage in specs 12-24 V are for a power supply Unit and not the camera itself .So you are correct, The original poster will have to use a 5 V adapter .
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:26pm
Right. Thanks for all the fantastic advice. If I need 5v from my fuse then I'm definitely not trying it myself. looks like I need a sparky...
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:23pm
so if I buy one of these: 

and chop off the male end to piggy back on a 10v fuse I can keep my 5a step down contained in my transcend male 12v adapter in one piece without chopping it, is that right?
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:30pm
This one btw
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:31pm
You don't necessarily need a 5 volt supply, you just need a female cigar lighter socket that you can hard wire and plug the cigar lighter plug into it.

When you buy the camera it will come with a lead and cigar lighter plug that will reduce the voltage down to what is required for the camera. You would normally plug this into your cigar lighter socket in the dash, I suggested the female cigar lighter socket because it's the easiest way to get the camera to work without messing about with various different leads. Plus if anything goes a miss with your camera and you weren't using the lead it came with, you could have warranty issues.

My Fine Vu  camera came with a continuous power supply that you hard wire to the ignition, it's basically a black box with a female cigar lighter socket in it.

You will find exactly what you need here: ebay 
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 11:39pm
Thanks for that, seems perfect for my needs and looks a little better quality than the other one I linked. Will get order and now to get some shut eye.
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 7:35pm
looked at the fuse box behind the glove compartment earlier. not a lot of room to get to it and a LOT of fuses, is it easy to remove the glove compartment to work on the fuses? Also I cant see any labelling... Is there any in the manual (Yes I am plain lazy!)
BigP View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 8:42pm
Hi Mudds - hope all is well with you and Muddsqai.  I've trial removed the glove box and it's quite an effort, not surprising as I'm sure they didn't design it for the fuses to be there (much better on the side of the bulkhead).  

There's a piston on the RHS which easily un-clips but then you will see two plastic protrusions on the top of the drawer stopping it fall - you have to be quite aggressive to push the sides together to all the drawer to drip then pull hard towards you to un-clip from the hinges.

What I'm trying to say is... I think line fuse holder off the ciggy lighter circuit or similar is the way to go. Thumbs Up
Qashqai Premier Edition - trainee PLEC member although Qashietta really belongs to my wife
I live in a modern household: both kids have iPods, my wife has an iPhone and an iPad. Me...? I pay.
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 10:29am
Thanks Pete, Im waiting for some bits to arrive then I'll take a look in a bit more detail.

Muddsqai is fine by the way, apart from being caked in half of the Sarhara!
DarrenGriffin View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrenGriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by QQtoo QQtoo wrote:

Something to bear in mind is the MOT rules on having things affixed to your windscreen. I believe anything affixed to the windscreen at MOT time is a failure. - I have heard of Sat Navs and Magic Trees being the cause of a failure - because they could obstruct the view.
That's incorrect. A failure only occurs if something is within Zone A, that's an area swept by the wipers that is 290mm wide and centred on the steering wheel. So a camera, mounted behind the rear-view mirror, would not be an issue.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 8:20am
I now have the 12v extension and piggy back fuse. Time to get brave this weekend I think!
jonceebee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonceebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 8:46am
Originally posted by mudds mudds wrote:

I now have the 12v extension and piggy back fuse. Time to get brave this weekend I think!
Good luck, I am planning to do similar. Let us know how you get on and if possible instructions and photo's
New Qashqai 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White.Chrome front lip finisher,Chrome Side Sills, Chrome Glass Finisher,Chrome Lower Trunk Finisher,White Side Mouldings,WhiteAlloyGaytors,Cross Over Pack,Deflectors
keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 9:28am
I'll check here to see if you made any progress Saturday otherwise I can still pop up and help Sunday morning if required
Weather permitting, I'd think within an hour easily done....
Gun metal Tekna 1.5 DCi - crossover pack, plus chrome bling, bonnet protector,wind deflectors, twin-horn upgrade, AcesDVD auto-closing Mirror Kit, and retro fit mirror override :-)
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by keefnet keefnet wrote:

I'll check here to see if you made any progress Saturday otherwise I can still pop up and help Sunday morning if required
Weather permitting, I'd think within an hour easily done....

sounds good, not sure I'll get around to it on Saturday but stay in touch.
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 7:24pm
Tried to look at the fuses again today but there is no labelling, I think the the LHD model has a fuse box cover and labels which is annoying for us RHD folk. Any ideas on which fuse I can use which is ignition not constantly powered?

keefnet View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 10:31pm
Still looking forward to Sunday if still needed Mudds - I got electrical testing stuff so if you don't sort it by then, I'm sure we can get it done.
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 5:04pm
Ok managed to get this done today thanks to a friend.

I had already bought a mini fuse piggy back (for reference you will need a micro fuse piggy back otherwise you will have to go out and buy a a replacement mini fuse of the same rating.

Had got the 12v socket extension so just needed a multimeter and a crimper to secure the live wire from the 12v extension to the piggyback fuse connector.

The glove box comes away completely after releasing the lever on the right of the box and pushing the guides either side inward (takes some effort) finally with the glove box at rest in the lower position it can be pulled out of the retaining clips.

We decided to use a five amp fuse for the piggy back (see below)

As you can see we used the third fuse in on the right (bottom row) which was an ignition switched 5 amp fuse after testing.

Once we were happy with it it was time to secure the earth and tidy the remaining cable, we used an earthed screw to the right of the fuses and took the 12v adapter and remaining cable behind the metal frame. (hope you can see this from the photo below). Also put a little electrical tap around the 12v connector to stop it becoming dis-lodged. 

As you can see the ignition is on in this shot as the 12v adapter light for the Transcend Dashcam is lit.

Apologies as I had intended to take more photos but Ive been feeling pretty crook today!

Just want to say thanks to Keith for offering to come over and help. Would be good to meet up sometime anyway!

Hope this help someone!
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 7:10pm
I still cant believe there is no schematic anywhere or any fuse cover, I think the RHD design under the dash was a bit of an after thought!
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 9:21pm
Pleased to see you finally got it sorted Mudds Big smile

I'm amazed there's no diagram anywhere, at least the older model I have has a pictorial diagram on the inside of the lid.

Is there nothing in the owners manual?
mudds View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 10:23pm
nothing what so ever that I could see.
jonceebee View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonceebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2014 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by mudds mudds wrote:

Ok managed to get this done today thanks to a friend.

I had already bought a mini fuse piggy back (for reference you will need a micro fuse piggy back otherwise you will have to go out and buy a a replacement mini fuse of the same rating.

Had got the 12v socket extension so just needed a multimeter and a crimper to secure the live wire from the 12v extension to the piggyback fuse connector.

The glove box comes away completely after releasing the lever on the right of the box and pushing the guides either side inward (takes some effort) finally with the glove box at rest in the lower position it can be pulled out of the retaining clips.

We decided to use a five amp fuse for the piggy back (see below)

As you can see we used the third fuse in on the right (bottom row) which was an ignition switched 5 amp fuse after testing.

Once we were happy with it it was time to secure the earth and tidy the remaining cable, we used an earthed screw to the right of the fuses and took the 12v adapter and remaining cable behind the metal frame. (hope you can see this from the photo below). Also put a little electrical tap around the 12v connector to stop it becoming dis-lodged. 

As you can see the ignition is on in this shot as the 12v adapter light for the Transcend Dashcam is lit.

Apologies as I had intended to take more photos but Ive been feeling pretty crook today!

Just want to say thanks to Keith for offering to come over and help. Would be good to meet up sometime anyway!

Hope this help someone!

I am just looking at fitting my dash cam and will follow your example to get a live ignition lead, my only concern is you seem to have fitted a 25 amp fuse on your photo (white) when the actual 5 amp required is orange. Was this just a trial and you later fitted the correct fuse? Otherwise very helpful, thank you....Jon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic