UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Exterior.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Help! - Broken Tailgate Handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! - Broken Tailgate Handle
    Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 2:09pm
Hi, without realising that the tailgate had frozen to the car, my wife pulled a little too hard on the tailgate handle and has now phoned me to say that it has partially broken off.  I'll know more once I've seen for myself, but suspect that its just held into position by plastic parts and would have thought that its sheered one or more of them off.

Just by chance, has anyone else experienced this and just by chance do they give out if too much pressure is put on them and are they easy to fix?

Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas to you all.  
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 3:27pm
we had one member do this before ,nissan said the whole unit needed to be replaced and want a couple of hundred quid ,id personallt take it completely off and see if you can repair it yourself
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
May be cheaper to repair then fit chrome handle to cover any scars to plastic.
Repair job done plus enhancement making cost more palatable
Ex owner of Acenta 1.6 Flame red, with Panoramic roof.
vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:06am
wife has just got home so had a quick look, don't look like it's a repair job, all except one pin that holds it on has broken away. looks abit of a poor effort to be honest considering it is used to pull the tailgate. until I can get it sorted, do you reckon duck tape will be ok on the paint work?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 12:11am
should be fine but will leave residue that will need removing after
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
Mine broke (I don't know if I was the "other member", but probably). It IS a bit under-engineered - and quite fragile and the cold probably makes the plastic less resiliant. In my case the dealership kindly clipped it back together as best they could and ordered me a replacement on warranty and fitted it a week later.

I would be a bit careful about taking it off entirely as the numberplate lights are part of it, and it would be an offence to drive around with those not working. You MAY be okay during the day, i'm not sure, but certainly at night it would be nickable.
vinnyh View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 9:51pm

As one end is still being held on by the one clip that didn't break, I've basically sellotaped the other end.  Spoke to Nissan today and looking at about £180 to supply and fit.

Have to say that I'm not impressed that a part of the car that has to endure the pressure of lifting the tailgate has been built so shoddy, without shaddow of a doubt a handle should be bolted on to ensure its consistency and purpose of doing the job.   

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2010 at 10:00pm
i agree mate
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 5:04am
the rear handle is bolted to the tailgate by 5 x 10mm nuts n bolts...which for some reason work their way loose...
how ever they are only held in place by thinish plastic lugs....personally i would get one off ebay or a scrap yard....
its easy to replace, just unscrew 1 screw from tailgate plastic trim(right side as you look at it) then with some elbow grease pull the clipos away and you will see the 5 silver nuts n bolts fixing the tailgate handle... fit new one and then refit in reverse order
zh875 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zh875 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 1:33pm
Well the information regarding the removal of the Tailgate handle panel definitely works, although mine seems to have 4 silver nuts/Bolts and one little black  locating stud with no nut or threads for a nut

Due to flat batteries in both iKeys, and a too vigorous push on the unlock button, I managed to push it all the way inside the handle.

Now, both iKey batteries replaced (CR2032) and the button reseated in the handle, the car is back to normal.

Yet again the Qashqai Club Forum provides the answers. Thumbs Up
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2012 at 1:45pm
glad your all sorted mate Thumbs Up
greendragon3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 11:44am
have the exact same problem on my 09' qashqai +2 . my daughter ( who is a bit heavy handed at the best of times ) reefed the boot open in a hurry the other morning and low and behold she pulled the whole handle off , ive priced a spurious one @ €150 and it still has to be painted to match the body ,  i must say it is a very poor design and so flimsy for something that gets so much use ( especially in the +2 for acces to the rear seats ) and lifts such a heavy item as the boot .
2009 QQ + 2 Acenta 1.5 dci in flame red .
MikeR View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 4:20pm
Never use the handle to lift the tailgate always use the tailgate bottom lip. I know it's crazy but the handles are far too weak & Nissan should redesign them.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 11:58am
Sometimes I wonder if manufacturers deliberately design in 'fail items' such as this to keep their post sales repair market ticking over.

Is this failure common to both J10 & J11 models?
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
greendragon3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greendragon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm
just fitted my new replacement one , very very flimsy set up if im honest , mine gets extra use as i have three child seats across the middle seats and they are anchored in so i have to use the tailgate regularly to let my eldest into the rear seats ! even fitting the new one was a pain and the little plastic clips on the back are really easy to break off , cost me €160 all in including painting and that was fitting it myself .
2009 QQ + 2 Acenta 1.5 dci in flame red .
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:50pm
Doug. Yes and Yes. I believe this is the case.

Edited by John C S - 06 Feb 2017 at 2:51pm
John C S

Nissan Qashqai+2 2009 (Pre-facelift) 1.6 n-tec in Pearl Black
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:18pm
Does this forum have any means of feeding back to Nissan details of common issues/faults?
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Hobo Mofo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobo Mofo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 9:46am
I pulled mine off last year and glued it back on, this lasted a few months but I've now had to buy a new one off ebay.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic