Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > J10 Reviews 2006 - 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP please, I so need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BettyBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP please, I so need advice
    Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 6:40pm

Hi everyone on the Qashqai forum 

This is my first post and it is long so please be kind. 

I live in Spain but joined this forum, UK, because it is a little bit technical and therefore easier to ask for advice in English, or to know if someone has had the same problem. 

I have a Tekna J10 that is 8 years old. It is a left hand drive and of course on Spanish plates, it was bought here. 

I have had it serviced every year since ownership with Nissan. This year was somewhat very heart breaking as I think my car is ruined, a right-off, and here is why. 

Monday, 31 August, my car had a standard service, last year was a premium, and I collected the car once it had been done that day. I drove 12 kilometres home with no issues. I didnít need to use the car the following day, but the day after, Wednesday, I drove about 2 kilometres from my home when the oil light came on. I thought it very strange considering it had just been serviced and then the car started shuddering, I immediately pulled over to the side of the road, which is not easy where I live in the mountains with single-track roads. I lifted the bonnet and saw the worst sight in my life. There was so much oil and it was everywhere, it was dripping off the bonnet it was that bad. 

To cut a very long story short, I called Nissan and the car was towed to them. I go later that day to pick up a courtesy car, brand new Qashqai (nice and shiny), and they tell me what caused the explosion of oil. The new oil filter that they put in on the Monday was defective and admitted that they had never seen anything like it before. The filter had expanded to half its size again and that caused the casing to explode, almost. I asked why it didnít do it on the drive home on Monday and they said it could have taken 5 minutes or driving 500 kilometres before it happened and that being honest because they have never seen it before, they really didnít know. 

The filter has been sent to head office in Barcelona with a ton of paperwork to be assessed and my car is sitting in their workshop. 

My question is, if anyone has experienced this, is there likely any damage to the engine. She is a diesel. I have tried researching it on the Internet but found nothing. 

I am worried that they will simply put in a new filter and send me on my way. I know they can run a diagnostics check, but what about long-term damage. Will my car suddenly seize up on me in like a few months time and I have no recourse. 

I called my insurance company and told them everything and all they said was that they had noted it on my file and that I would be covered. What if I have an accident, or worse cause one, then I foot the bill and my premium goes up next year!

Has anyone had this happen to them or does anyone have advice, please? 

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope that someone can help me.

Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 8:16pm
Never ever had this happen and never ever heard of such an incident...

However, as it was a faulty oil filter and it was the garage which inserted this oil filter to your car, they have to cover the warranty (I do hope that the Spanish laws do know such a thing...)

I'd insist on a paper by the garage  - signed by the owner of the garage - in which they agree to cover the costs of any further damage which might be caused by the faulty oll fiter. (Again I don't know whether this is supported by the Spanish laws.)
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
BettyBoo View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BettyBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 8:29pm
Thank you Udo. The tow truck man, everyone at Nissan, the taxi driver, the insurance company and everyone Iíve told has never heard or seen such a thing, lucky me and my car. 

Can I upload photos because I have them on my phone? I am gutted because I love my girl. 

Do you think it has messed up the engine?
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:27am
It depends on which distance you drove without oil...however, an engine can be inspected from the inside. A laparoscope is used for that (like on a human abdomen) and an engine expert could tell whether and how much damage has been done...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic